SCV Lack of Support & Community Binding

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeDojo

[09] Warrior
Why is it that most of the major tournaments these days don't include Soul Calibur V? Arguably the game would make for a better choice then something like Persona 4 or even KOF. Is it the lack of over the top flash and borderline seizure inducing cinematics?

I'm in no way a hater of the Arc Systems fighters or games like them but I find it almost sickening that SCV isn't really promoted as much as any other fighting game. It simply doesn't get the praise it deserves. SCV is a well put together fighting game with intricate layers of skill that you need to master in order to be proficient at it.

Me and the two other members of Dope Dojo live in Northern California [East Bay] and we're just floored at the overall lack of a real SCV community. So much so we're considering driving to Houston in April just to participate in a major that MAY host the game. What we really want to do is bind the community of players here in the East Bay or in NorCal in general. Try to set up a local tournament, something, ANYTHING to get the blood pumping through this community again.

Come on people, where the love at?!!

i think it's because the game didn't get much support from Namco or Project Soul so that's naturally gonna happen with the people that play the game. it's partially dependent on the devs to keep a game's lifespan going. but i also think that America is more fond of 2D fighters as well. I mean how many 3D games made it into EVO?

Namco showed more than enough support for SCV and more than most games tend to get. The reason why is that the players don't show up to events, no more, no less. People may not show up for whatever reason that they don't, but it's still their fault.

357elpw.jpg

Tommy = Project Soul
Man=Players
Stu=Bamco

Trust us, if there were Tournaments in NorCal we would show up. But since we can never seem to find any, our only recourse is to start one of our own. Try to reach out because I know people still play this game, if anything the Ranked matches, player matches & Colosseum prove that.

People should make tournaments for 3d-only FG's.

Have a banner at the front door entrance "NO CAPCOM ALLOWED".

Because poor people want to be poor, right?

You can't say "it's their fault" when circumstances don't allow them to participate.

I DID try to participate. You remember what happened back at MLG in Raleigh some months ago? You flaked on me, so you don't get to tell me or anyone else that "it's their fault" mmkay?

I'm so sick of this privilege boy-elitism. Not everyone has a large disposable income like some of you rich boys.

The reason the game is dying? Because people are stupid and have poor taste. That's it in a nutshell. People don't know what's good, heck they like Justin Bieber for fucks sake.

Shut
the
fuck
up

It is 99.99% about people just needing to show up. You'd think that since majors are sprinkled across the year that more people would be able to save up and go.

The game will not get much support from people whose first choice is marvel or SF either. These people are often the ones helping run our events, too. As such they don't get the same level of care. There is an onus hanging over the game's head that stemmed from SC2 though and it hasn't gone away. Calibur has often been a game known for weird bugs that defined its gameplay( SC2 step-guard, SC3 variable cancel) and also known for its crazy character imbalance (see SCIV Hilde, SCIV Algol Bubble Infinite). Those hiccups have created a stigma that still resonates today.

We finally get a game that has potential, but because the formula changed, certain members from the community threw a tantrum and stormed out. Those felt like dark times to me and I'm not even a core part of the community. But now, things have revitalized again. Strong new community members have stepped in and they show a lot of promise. We have started podcasts and the Colosseum weekly event. To get big turnouts for offline, we should be using online to bolster our numbers. When I watch a progame of starcraft played online, I am still hype and excited. As a community we should be using online as a tool to bolster our numbers and hype up our game. We should be covering Colosseum matches and establishing contests. Jaxel set up a 24/7 stream but a lot of it reminds me of when TV in the 1950's had nothing on air it would just play the Stand By message until something aired. Other times I would tune in and it would be people goofing off. Coordinating events on the streams like a real TV show would be so hype.

I think that people are ignoring how the paradigm is shifting right now. People are so hellbent on wishing calibur had stronger turnouts, and then shun such a powerful tool like decent online play, replay feature, and streaming tools.

You can't say "it's their fault" when circumstances don't allow them to participate.

I DID try to participate. You remember what happened back at MLG in Raleigh some months ago? You flaked on me, so you don't get to tell me or anyone else that "it's their fault" mmkay?

I'm so sick of this privilege boy-elitism. Not everyone has a large disposable income like some of you rich boys.

The reason the game is dying? Because people are stupid and have poor taste. That's it in a nutshell. People don't know what's good, heck they like Justin Bieber for fucks sake.

I'm interested in this you flaked on me scenario because I have a hard time buying that LP was the sole reason you didn't go.

And get the fuck out with this rich boys shit, you think any of these players are actually rich and privileged? It's called plan ahead, save up some money, buy one less 2 liter of soda and one less fast food heart attack a week and put that towards a tourney fund. Carpool, megabus, buy flights 4 to 5 months in advance, split a hotel room 10 ways, bring your own food, these are all things I've done to make a tournament cheaper. Don't be mad at us because you are broke as fuck, I work for everything I have and through responsible saving and budgeting i can go to a good number of tournaments a year.

*please disregard the preceding statement if you are a broke ass college student, I know that shits rough. But you can still make it out to 1 or two a year with good planning.

Why is it that most of the major tournaments these days don't include Soul Calibur V? Arguably the game would make for a better choice then something like Persona 4 or even KOF. Is it the lack of over the top flash and borderline seizure inducing cinematics?

Most major tournaments had or have Soulcalibur V. The ones that don't have it is because the locals stopped showing up to tournaments a long time ago, or never had much of a scene to begin with. Doesn't have anything to do with flash or cinematics.

http://8wayrun.com/forums/tournament-announcements.47/

I'm in no way a hater of the Arc Systems fighters or games like them but I find it almost sickening that SCV isn't really promoted as much as any other fighting game. It simply doesn't get the praise it deserves. SCV is a well put together fighting game with intricate layers of skill that you need to master in order to be proficient at it.

SCV received alot of promotion. Eventually people stopped showing up.

Me and the two other members of Dope Dojo live in Northern California [East Bay] and we're just floored at the overall lack of a real SCV community. So much so we're considering driving to Houston in April just to participate in a major that MAY host the game. What we really want to do is bind the community of players here in the East Bay or in NorCal in general. Try to set up a local tournament, something, ANYTHING to get the blood pumping through this community again.

Come on people, where the love at?!!

Did you even go to SoCal Regionals for SCV? But there's plenty of people in NorCal that do play. Start talking with Hates or Alex.J.

Trust us, if there were Tournaments in NorCal we would show up. But since we can never seem to find any, our only recourse is to start one of our own. Try to reach out because I know people still play this game, if anything the Ranked matches, player matches & Colosseum prove that.

NorCal had tournaments, then they stopped showing up. So you need to start with linking up with people and playing offline on some sort of a regular basis before you think about tournaments.

I don't know why you're so defensive...or where you get the notion that any and all of us people who go to tournaments are rich. Like I said, whatever reason, it doesn't matter. I mean, using rent at an example, at the time you have to pay, it doesn't matter if something came up and you got robbed, lost your job, or just pissed your money away if you can't pay it. The end result is still the same.

Not to mention that that's still a pretty sorry to blame me because you didn't go. True enough, I didn't give you the hotel address but it's also true that you could've just as easily looked in the MLG topic, came yourself, and simply met us either at the venue or asked any of the other players who went where everyone was staying. If you really wanted to go bad enough, you would've gone, regardless of not knowing the address (which was right across the street from the venue).

Hahahahhaaaa this man didnt go because you didn't give him the hotel address!?!?!! Do you have the resourcefulness of a 2nd grader? It's called google man, get out of here with this bullshit excuse.

The game needs to be promoted better.
MK9 is shit but it has a lot of people tooting its horn despite how the large majority of the players know that it's bullshit. SC5 is solid. It just needs more representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back