SCV Online: Dealing with problematic players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

[09] Warrior
I used to get angry when I lost. That was a problem that I worked out on my own. I still lose to good players, but there is no edge to grind there anymore. So I understand how people can feel when they lose.

Nowadays, I am generally on top and I sometimes go too rough on people who are less experienced than I am. Their reaction can be, for lack of a better word, chaotic.

So when I enter a room, my first comment is "If you want me to go easy, just ask" which is for players who don't want to get stomped into the ground, but it definitely doesn't guarantee a win for them. After I beat someone and they become upset with me, my first tactic is to try and diffuse a situation starting with an apology (in all fairness I don't need to apologize, I'm just trying to keep the peace). Half the time they calm down, and the other half become outraged.

This is why I'm making this thread. I'm just here to play and have fun. I don't do anything in-game to taunt or provoke players nor do I talk trash to them. When someone becomes unreasonable, there is no talking them out of it. Lately it has lead to a constant barrage of insults my way and it starts a stupid argument that could potentially last an hour.

So after probably one of the biggest blowouts I have dealt with, just a few days ago, I started a zero tolerance rule. Basically I ask them to stop and if they say one more derogatory comment towards me, they get blocked.

What I'm wondering is, have you found a better way to deal with players who hate your guts just for being better than them, or should I just keep my rule and block them for acting that disrespectful towards me?

I calmed one dude down by laughing at him derisively. "All this over a video game."

He sobered up and was actually kinda decent for the rest of the session.

Generally, I don't take those people seriously. What they're really trying to do is get you to play by their rules so that they have a better chance of winning. They can't do it in the game, so they attack you instead. To me, that's just them telling me, "You're so good, I'll never beat you. Have mercy please."

If I'm in a good mood then I'd try to educate them. Then again scrubs aren't attracted to my rooms.

I can somewhat relate to this, I've had several arguments in the past with people who aren't exactly intelligent, I've tried different things with different people, sometimes things have worked, rest of the time they fail miserably...gradually as you go on you get tired of it all and you just simply can't be bothered with it anymore.
whenever I make a room and people start whining then it's simple you get booted, no prior notification, no justification. Just a straight boot.
Every now and then I may have a soul for 5 mins (which is actually about 10 seconds) and say to calm down etc. if they ain't pacified by then..DAS BOOT!!!

I used to get angry when I lost. That was a problem that I worked out on my own. I still lose to good players, but there is no edge to grind there anymore. So I understand how people can feel when they lose.

Nowadays, I am generally on top and I sometimes go too rough on people who are less experienced than I am. Their reaction can be, for lack of a better word, chaotic.

So when I enter a room, my first comment is "If you want me to go easy, just ask" which is for players who don't want to get stomped into the ground, but it definitely doesn't guarantee a win for them. After I beat someone and they become upset with me, my first tactic is to try and diffuse a situation starting with an apology (in all fairness I don't need to apologize, I'm just trying to keep the peace). Half the time they calm down, and the other half become outraged.

This is why I'm making this thread. I'm just here to play and have fun. I don't do anything in-game to taunt or provoke players nor do I talk trash to them. When someone becomes unreasonable, there is no talking them out of it. Lately it has lead to a constant barrage of insults my way and it starts a stupid argument that could potentially last an hour.

So after probably one of the biggest blowouts I have dealt with, just a few days ago, I started a zero tolerance rule. Basically I ask them to stop and if they say one more derogatory comment towards me, they get blocked.

What I'm wondering is, have you found a better way to deal with players who hate your guts just for being better than them, or should I just keep my rule and block them for acting that disrespectful towards me?

I thought you quit?

The topic is about dealing with problematic players. If you want to talk to me about something else, feel free to message me.

In regards to the topic, I stayed with the zero tolerance rule and I haven't blocked anybody yet. Thanks for your input, everyone.

Last edited:
Regardless of intention, I would say that going into a room and stating "if you want me to go easy, just ask" is a great way to put people on the defensive. Silence is golden, play no mic rooms, if they kick you for being too good so be it. Play people here or in the competitive player fb group. I guarantee you won't have to go easy and you won't come out on top as much.

Play people here or in the competitive player fb group. I guarantee you won't have to go easy and you won't come out on top as much.
You're right about that. I thought I wanted to be a competitive player, but nowadays I just want to play casually. I can't put away the skill I've already achieved. Even in casual rooms, I still find good players that provide a challenge.

He doesn't respond to people like you cuz he fites ppl irl. He's tough guy
I remember playing you and someone else. You guys were ok, but at the time I was much better. I ended up removing you because you never played. Nothing personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back