SCVI Nightmare's Move Analysis

is it just me, or does his CE look like it starts up a lot slower than others? seen him get bopped out of it a lot in the Kayane vs Keev video
That's because you can charge his CE to make it an unblockable hit

does GS A still has its auto GI component? is it still unsafe on block? edit: still there, happened in the same video at 11:45

also noticed WS (B) on block seems to pushback far enough so that 2As can't interrupt.

whats the command for this horizon move at 6:23? seems to have terror charge properties?

Last edited:
is it just me, or does his CE look like it starts up a lot slower than others? seen him get bopped out of it a lot in the Kayane vs Keev video

NM's CE is slower compared to everyone else, in place it has one hit of armour, an aGI which triggers the revenge version and as hteng has already mentioned, it can be charged to be unblockable, in which the dmg drastically increases.

does GS A still has its auto GI component? is it still unsafe on block? edit: still there, happened in the same video at 11:45

also noticed WS (B) on block seems to pushback far enough so that 2As can't interrupt.

whats the command for this horizon move at 6:23? seems to have terror charge properties?

yes GS A still has it's aGI

not sure about WR (B)'s pushback, but I'd still bank on it being interruptible

the move shown at 6:23 is 6A. It has armour and when it absorbs certain attacks will trigger the revenge explosion, giving NM Terror Charge in the process

Hey guys!!
As most of you know SCVI will be playable this weekend at VSFighting.
I shall be up there for the entire duration of this, so if there’s anything you want tested in regards to Nightmare, be sure to let me know and I will make a note of it.

Alternatively join the Nightmare discord (link is below) and add your testing requests there.

Anything not Nightmare related I will do my best to test if I have time...if I cannot, then I shall try and defer to other members of the community.

https://discord.gg/fEvQw39

So anything interesting or new? did they nerf NM's damage in the latest build? He does do pretty absurd damage but every other cast does just as much anyway.

So anything interesting or new? did they nerf NM's damage in the latest build? He does do pretty absurd damage but every other cast does just as much anyway.

I am planning to do a write-up on my thoughts and feedback on NM and SC6 in general, I have a ton of notes. However: 1) I am lazy, 2) I am ill AF right now

so for now I'll just say NM's dmg is absolutely absurd haha

Sorry, not very familiar with Nightmare, but I noticed he is always glowing red without spending meter... can he transition into SC anytime he wants without spending the meter?

Probably something explained a long time ago, but I couldnt really understand... could anyone help?

Sorry, not very familiar with Nightmare, but I noticed he is always glowing red without spending meter... can he transition into SC anytime he wants without spending the meter?

Probably something explained a long time ago, but I couldnt really understand... could anyone help?

Certain attacks being performed put him in a pseudo-SC state where he can do one thing from SC and he will lose it.

How is NM's chief hold stance? is it good? situational? I don't see many use it. The low sweep (Chief Hold A?) seems pretty safe, the vertical slash (Chief Hold B?) seems to be very linear but good advantage on block? lastly the knee (Chief Hold K?) seems to be pretty fast, is there any follow up for it?

How is NM's chief hold stance? is it good? situational? I don't see many use it. The low sweep (Chief Hold A?) seems pretty safe, the vertical slash (Chief Hold B?) seems to be very linear but good advantage on block? lastly the knee (Chief Hold K?) seems to be pretty fast, is there any follow up for it?

NBS is good for what it does and has it's uses:

NBS A is a low with some pretty decent range, and takes a good chunk of dmg

NBS B is great for combo extensions, which can lead into huge dmg, aswell as tacking on that little extra dmg after moves such as NLS (B) ~ NBS B or NSS a(B) ~ NBS B

NBS K / NBS KK is indeed fast and seems ok from a frame trap or Matchup ignorance perspective.

NBS A+B is his only Terror Charge move in this stance, it's a 4-hit horizontal string which are all mids and ends with a Break Attack, giving you frame advantage. it also leads into some beefy dmg in combos, considering the nature of the move, I'm not sure whether to say this move would be good outside of combos, but there could be possibility for it to be a decent step killer

Hey everyone it's about time I got this done, only reason I put it off was because I was ill all last week. Anyway as some of you know, I got to play the E3 build of SCVI at VSFighting, so I was hoping to give my 2 cent's worth and share my first impressions, gameplan and those little niche things in regards to the character. Also do note things are subject to change

What do I think?
Personally, I believe Nightmare is a strong character. His movement is great, tools still have some amazing range and deals out some pretty ridiculous dmg.
At first glance he plays similarly to his SCV iteration with some nice stuff from previous games tacked on, the most obvious being his returning stances from SC2; Night Lower Stance and Night Back Stance, and of course his Terror Charge from SC4.

What's new?
(I don't plan to into detail about every single little change so I'll just cover what I think are the biggest changes and how they affect NM)
Stances:
As mentioned before, his 2 returning stances from SC2; NBS and NLS, give varied combo potential and new possible mixups that NM never really had before.
Pokes:
His pokes have had some interesting changes, some good and some bad, the main one being 3K has now lost it's tracking, however it does seem somewhat faster and better on block, his old 1K is now 2K in this game but still acts more or less the same, the other big change now is the buff to his 2A, as it has better tracking and now hits grounded unlike previous games.
Armour:
The added armour he gets when doing 6A+B, 6A, 6B and 6K; this means that he is able to steal the opponents momentum away when they least expect it, as the moves listed are able to soak up certain attacks and then trigger NM's revenge explosion, which has had some rather interesting changes in of itself.
Terror charge:
Returning from SC4, Terror Charge (NTC) is quite possibly the biggest change to NM so far. Several attacks, such as aforementioned 6A+B, 6A, 6B, and 6K are able to soak up certain attacks and trigger his revenge explosion (which is now a break attack) which will put Nightmare into a pseudo-Soul Charge-like state. The other moves that will gift you Terror Charge are 4KK, 2A+B, RE K, NTC GS KK and Soul Charge itself will give one last breath of Terror Charge when it runs out.

Soul Charge/Terror Charge
While active, Terror Charge gives NM access one Soul Charge attack/extension. These moves are incredibly beefy and grants you some pretty scary stuff. These attacks allow you to further rack up the dmg on your already incredibly dmging launchers, wreck your opponent's guard gauge and, the nicest touch of all, earning greater dmg on block punishes via NTC KB and NTC WR K(B)

So how does this all come together?
Your tools are best suited for simple poking, spacing, zoning and keep-out, NM's step lends itself to this style of play very well. It is with this same movement that you are allowed to pile on pressure in short bursts.
However the overall gameplan has changed slightly.
The risk/reward aspect is now higher-stakes, due to attacks not being as advantageous as they used to be, you will have to rely more on defense and reads, as well as taking risks more than you normally would. The payoff, should you succeed, is almost phenominal especially in terms of dmg, NM's wall carry potential and Terror Charge.
The goal now is to incite fear and managing Terror Charge is at the very core of this. The ability to drastically increase the dmg of your whiff punishes aswell as your block punishes is incredibly valuable, the key move is without a doubt 6BBB, aka the powerdrill, this move, while linear, is an exceptionally damaging, long-range whiff punisher with insane pushback that also mangles your opponents guard gauge while leaving you at advantage.
You will need to decide whether or not you will burn Terror Charge for it's astounding dmg and then find another spot in which you can activate it, or sacrifice that dmg in order to keep Terror Charge active and your options continually available for when you need them the most.

Me too, in all of SCV i couldn't get over BT B+K going into stance, instead of being an attack throw like in SCIV.
I really liked SCIV Nightmare, but never got the hang of him in SCV.
So is he more like in IV or more like in V?

So I just realized something the other day and had to ask:
Is JF agA a Break Attack in this game, and does that make it completely guaranteed post-GI?

Back