SD CALIBUR IV - Super Deformed Soul Calibur (anime cartoon machinima)

skytoast

Videomaster
Anticipating the arrival of Soul Calibur V, I made a tribute video to Soul Calibur IV, a sort've one last hurrah showcasing all the characters in the game.

SD CALIBUR IV or Super Deformed Soul Calibur IV

mvgi08.jpg

This is the result of several experiments using a cell shading technique and various filters. I've always wanted to try to make a video with an animated cartoon effect and played with the idea to make one in Soul Calibur. The first few attempts weren't promising as it look too much like a video passed through some opaque and emboss filters. But after several tests with a few flat color passes, edge enhancements, matte transfers and brightening exposure and saturation levels I was able to tweak the right effect making it convincing enough to make a video pass as a cartoon. Using a character editor, proportions were exaggerated furthering the effect. The final result? Soul Calibur with chibi anime versions of all your favorite characters.

xqielg.jpg

Pudgy Nightmare seems so menacing
98gdtt.jpg

Mitsurugi no matter how small will always aim big
246l4iu.jpg

But he will always have to contend with Taki getting in his way
11sdnd0.jpg

And Setsuka for that matter
16gleo0.jpg

I was surprised how well this actually worked. Even Lighting and effects translates well making it cartoon grade. Add some cinematic action, a change in frame rate, and you got the right mixture for an anime like effect.

ea4lfm.jpg

So without further adieu, here's the feature film:

I've included appearances with every major character from SCIV. If I missed any, stick around to the end. And as always, the usual details (equipment used, software, etc) of the film will be in the credits. This is a service to fans of Soul Calibur for keeping the dream - (((nightmare))) - alive for the past few years. Also shout out to 8wayrun in credit roll!

dy2a11.jpg

How will we be able to tell the difference between the Bonus Characters and their super deformed counterparts?

first thing i had to think about when i saw nightmare was the super robot wars games

and awesome vid

I love it! Actually...it would be fun to have the ability to switch between normal and SD mode in SC games, now that i see that kind of video, i think it makes the game really funny, nice for some partys with friends and all ^^

Back