Season 2 Astaroth : status so far

Ryaxs

[03] Disciple
With S2 finally here I feel like switching mains from Kilik to Astaroth.

How much good did the S2 changes do for Astaroth? I'm excited to have acces to a+g4 again (I still have the muscle memory to do 2B+K from older games) and trying to add this move to some combos is fun and make him feel like such a badass :P

Do you feel like he'll still be perceived as bottom of the barrel's bottom tier or will the overall changes to the game be enough to push him up a few notches?

With S2 finally here I feel like switching mains from Kilik to Astaroth.

How much good did the S2 changes do for Astaroth? I'm excited to have acces to a+g4 again (I still have the muscle memory to do 2B+K from older games) and trying to add this move to some combos is fun and make him feel like such a badass :P

Do you feel like he'll still be perceived as bottom of the barrel's bottom tier or will the overall changes to the game be enough to push him up a few notches?

I think that right now, Astaroth is Top Tier and this is his best version ever. Even better than SC3 were he was Top 3 and Top Tier.

What makes you say he's top? I'm losing way more than I did in s1 and really struggling with whether or not I should learn a new character.

This is old but the blender, best throw game in the whole game even able to punish RE, +8 TER, being safe in almost everything on offense, huge damage, good RO prowess, Bullrush G cancel mindgames, good SC options, good GB game, good oki and oki damage, and good wakeup and reset options.

His only weakness IMHO is his RE animation but the SCA and B attack in RPS is always a factor.

Asta is far from being toptier. Every "Buff" he got so far just kept him playable while everyone else got even stronger. He is a solid midtier but even then asta is always a guessing games that either goes well or you get nothing done.

You can still always play mina zas or cassandra who pretty much do the same stuff asta does in their playstyles and have a way easier time.

I personally don't see how anyone can call Astaroth low tier. As a Yoshi player you have to respect Astaroth when he's playing keep out, while at the same time try to mitigate the constant guard stamina damage you're receiving from his break attacks and his jailing BA. As for guessing, this can be said about his throws, Astaroth's gimmick that do a lot of damage. Also he has the best damage in the game with LH Bull Rush, 22B then that air grab for around 60% health without a wall. His okie can really turn the match south for you, it's surprising how many times his low grab has caught me in a tech roll because my opponent has conditioned me into panic mode.

I dont think anyone is calling Asta low tier. But that also depends on how you define low tier. And dont get me wrong Asta is in a good place he got the tools he needs , but its still Astaroth so every match is a guessing Game and he still has some of the worst matchups in the game with several characters. Its just when you compare Astaroth to everyone else in the game he still kinda falls short. You want a Zoner ? Play ivy or Mina instead. You want a heavy hitter Nightmare does more damage and has better movement. You want to pressure people with normals and throw guessing games? Cass does that with no effort.

So with all that considered he probably isnt bottom 5. But I cant bring myself to place him out of bottom 10 cause the Rest of the cast is simply better.

Like who is legit worse than asta atm? Groh maxi maybe voldo and azwel. thats pretty much it.

Back