So, both my PS3 and my PC are on my monitor--Need adapter?

So, both my PS3 and my PC are on my monitor--Need adapte

My monitor has two inputs so I can have my PC and PS3 hooked up at the same time, so unless your monitor has two inputs, then you would need a switch to have them both hooked up. As for which one to get, I have no idea because who knows how good they are until you actually use it.

Go with something simple, uses external power, and can be returned.

I think my monitor has two inputs, but I don't understand how that could work? How would the monitor know which one to display?

Sorry if this message has information you already know.

What model is your monitor?

Your monitor might have two inputs as you said. If it does, there is usually a button or a setting in the monitor that you choose from. This is the ideal scenario. If one is HDMI, and the other is DVI, this is perfectly ok too. But, be cautioned that often times with that style of a monitor, the DVI port does not support HDCP, only the HDMI does. That happened to a friend of mine and he was not too happy about it. If yours is that case, what that means is whatever is plugged into the DVI port if it requires HDCP (the PS3 does, and so can your computer if you ever put a bluray drive in it) it won't work. Yes, an HDMI device can be plugged into a DVI port using an adapter, you just lose audio.

My monitor only has one HDMI port but it does have an audio output so I bought an HDMI switcher from monoprice. The first one I bought didn't work so well so I exchanged it for a different one. It works flawlessly.

Be advised that if you get one with more than 2 inputs, you'll want to ensure you can go to precisely the input you want, instead of cycling through them. This can be done with a remote with individual input buttons, perhaps a push switch for every input, or whatever. But don't buy one that just has a toggle input button where you scroll through the inputs.

The reason for that, is it will very likely cause an HDMI handshake problem, and as a result you will have to turn off and turn on the monitor every time you change inputs. Which gets annoying really quickly.

Mine is an HDX-501 but due to the constant changing models on these devices, as well as the fact that in reality, some monitors can be just finicky with these switches, no one can really guarantee a specific one will work, for YOU. Seriously, trust me on that. Don't get all pissed if it doesn't work at first, HDMI handshaking is just, well, dumb and irritating!

Last thing.......if you end up deciding to buy a switch, don't forget to pick up another HDMI cable. :)

whatwhatwhat basically summed it up but I'll add how mine is setup:

I have a 22" Samsung. It has a VGA and a DVI port. I discovered that I could switch between inputs by accident because I never read my owner's manuals because I was about to go out and buy a switch also. I used to have my 360 using VGA and my PC using DVI. Now my PC is using VGA and my PS3 is hooked up to the DVI using an HDMI to DVI cable which is great because I don't have to use a bulky TV to game on.

My monitor doesn't handle HDCP, but it doesn't apply to me because I can only do 720P from the PS3 since my monitor don't recognize 1920 X 1080. I also have the audio passing through the AV cables to my PC speakers.

I have a monitor like that and you can just set it to automatic. Then it will recognize when you have your game system on, and when you have your computer on. Mine has a vga and dvi port.

Back