So I'm almost ready to start a second main...

Sporko

Big Gimpin
In Soul Calibur II I mained Voldo (obviously), and then as secondary mains I played Nightmare, Ivy and Taki with about equal skill (just a smidge under my ability to play Voldo).

I skipped SC III, got rusty as hell, and then had to spend a significant amount of time getting my former level of prowess with Voldo back, as a large number of his moves had different inputs from II and I had to spend a lot of time breaking my conditioning as I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours playing II.

I've got Voldo to the point where I'm 85-90% as effective with him in IV as I was in II so I think I'm ready to start a second main character, but knowing as I do that I'm again going to have to relearn a character, it gives me some freedom to possibly take a different route than just sticking with what I knew from II. That being said, I still really like Siegfried, Ivy and Taki.

However, I'm also really intrigued by Setsuka and Yoshimitsu. I'm a little intimidated by Setsuka, especially her JF's as I play primarily online.

So I'm strongly leaning towards Ivy, Setsuka and Taki in that order. I'm open to advice or input from the crowd.

From what I've heard, Ivy is not as good as she was before the patch. Thought someone said Link doesn't even play her anymore. Taki and Sig are solid, as is Yoshi. Sets doesn't need her JF's to be effective, or at least that's what someone said in another thread so it has to be true ;)

Part of it has to do with your style. I try to be more of a rushdown offensive player and need some decent lows mixed in with throws and mids. I main Mitsu and Cass right now, but I'm also leaning in the direction of Taki and Sig just so I'm more varied when I play other people. I tried some Sets. In practice I think I have some stuff going, but against live comp, I get lost.

Funny how the ones you're considering are the same ones I've considered. I haven't tried Voldo yet, other than noticed that the things I used with him in 3 are different.

Well, the reason Voldo appeals to me is that he is more or less everything I like in a fighter.

Speed over power, plus grace, agility and control over everything else. I like the psychological edge he gives you, both in his ability to creep the opponent out but in that he is unpredictable. I dig the way a good Voldo player can make an assbeating look like graceful and effortless. Almost as if Voldo doesn't even *have* to try, he's just *that* good. I enjoy characters who visually *look* as if they're in control, cool under pressure.

So that's sort of what I look for in my next main, which is why Setsuka seems so cool. However, in the small amount of time I've played her she doesn't flow very naturally with me, I'd have to work for it. Voldo clicked with me from day one. Yoshimitsu is *awesome* but his moves just seem more goofy than graceful. (as you might guess, my least favorite moves with Voldo are the most over-the top moves. His frontwards A+G throw, Spasm (where he rolls into a ball and explodes), and Fool ritual, where he bounces you off of his abs, heh).

I'm strongly leaning towards Ivy but it's almost disheartening how bad I am with her. She plays COMPLETELY differently than how I used to and the benefit of choosing a character I've never mained before is I won't have to recondition myself as I won't have inputs pre-conditioned into me.

I picked up Voldo near the end of 3. Really liked all the mixups with him. Have always liked how others play with him, so it was cool to pull off a lot of those moves myself. Might give him another shot, but I heard he got nerfed too.

He's definitely worth it. And if you look at the tier discussion thread, it seems even the haters/doubters think he's near the top of the upper mids at *worst*. So he's a solid character. I also think Voldo is one of those characters who is inherently more effective than the tier system would indicate simply because the tier system assumes perfect players at perfect skill who know all of the moves and won't be taken in by Voldo's evasiveness and mindgames.

If you play online a lot, stay well the fuck away from Setsuka. Online and her just don't mix.

Give Yoshimitsu a try.

He's full of lag tactics, and his JFs come out consistently online (save for the spins) . His throws are pretty good too. He has all you need for your online endeavors.

You could also try a heavy hitting character like Nightmare or Siegfried for a very different playstyle. That way if you fight someone that is good against people like Voldo, you'll have a form that can probably keep pace with who your opponent is using...at least in theory.

Back