Something I noticed about combo damage, plus possible implications...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rashreflection

[09] Warrior
Hello everyone, I figured this is important enough to deserve its own thread.

In training mode, I noticed that the damage on Yoshi's juggles would fluctuate rather wildly. A couple days ago, I finally figured out the reason:

If you set the training dummy to Ukemi, the 66B at the end of your combos will deal 20-21 damage. If you have Ukemi OFF, however, it will only do 6 or 8 points of damage.

Note that this does not apply to single-hit launchers. From a 3B, 66B, 33K, etc., the OTG 66B will always give high damage. But this issue seems to come into play when you launch from a stun (i.e. CH 3AB/a:B+K/2a:B).

If your opponent is aware of this and doesn't try to tech, then I think it may no longer be worth it to use the 66B in stun combos since it does little damage and kills your wakeup games. So what to do instead?

RedDjinn has always encouraged the use of 6K in juggles, but it turns out this move also has a major flaw: The opponent can air control backward, preventing you from setting up things like Dragonfly oki.

My preferred solution is as follows: Juggle with a:B+K like you normally would, then dash right up to their body and proceed with the mixups! This move causes a long knockdown animation, which allows you to go into Dragonfly or do pretty much anything else you want.

INT K into door knocker would be even more awesome, but unfortunately you can only land this from 66B. =(

Hope this helps,
Josh.

Something I noticed about combo damage, plus possible implications

Well if you dash up after the 66B it isnt that bad but i do agree i dont think its as good as 6K... and most opponents wont air control backwards but if they do then that range isnt too bad for his mix-ups as well... I finally got iMCF down now ;) i'm still trying to work it into my game but just hearing him yell everytime i do it is worth it alone lol

another thing you could do is just another B,B or after your 66B i like to go into DRG because it will make you fly up further then you normally would when you cancel it out of INT go into it and try K because usually they will be like ah hes too far but both these moves together cover alot of distance....

Also if they do air control backwards try canceling the roll 44B+K into 44B+K2B+K, B the roll automaticly flows into meditation stance.... if you push 4B+K4B+K goes into pogo i'm sure alot of people knew this but for those who didnt try it out... its pretty fast!

iMCF 4 LiFe! lol

Something I noticed about combo damage, plus possible implications

Or you could do the 66A+B after the a:BK. It does more damage after the 66B and does not send them back as far(so you can still go into stance mixups) The trade off is the timing is more strict and if you are too slow they can roll out of the way. Sometimes people try to stand up too and end up eating the full hit which does a lot.

OOOOps after further testing here is something I discovered.

the 66A+B can roll either left or right to get out of the way. If they roll back they will eat more damage (a lot infact). But if they lie there, they will eat less damage but more than a 66+B. This basically gives yoshi some mixups.

The player has these options.
They either stay there and eat a weakened 66B or a pretty powerful 66A+B.
or
They either eat a powerful 66B trying to roll left or right or eat nothing (66A+B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back