Spacing tier list

Rather than trying to assign an arbitrary "who be gooder" value for a rather ill-defined term like spacing, I'll start by setting some definitions for how I view these terms and the ways they relate to SCV's mechanics.

Zoning: Distinct from spacing because it focuses more on attacks and countering approach options. Optimal range mid to long. Second category.
Spacing: Different form of zoning; focuses on maintaining an optimal range primarily through character movement. Generally prefers to stay at a mid range where fast bitches with i11 AAs and shit don't mess them up too much. Punishes whiffs and opponent hesitation. Optimal range mid to close/mid. Third category.

THESE CHARACTERS WANT TO GET IN CLOSE AND PUSH BUTTONS:
αPat, Leixia, Maxi*, Mitsurugi*, Natsu, Patroklos, Pyrrha*, Pyrrha Ω, Viola, Xiba*, Yoshimitsu

THESE CHARACTERS WANT TO KEEP YOU OUT (zoning, utilizes attacks/pushback, uses opponent's movement against them to gain advantage):
Astaroth, Hilde, Sigfreud, Nightmare*, Xiba*, ZWEI*

THESE CHARACTERS WANT TO KEEP YOU OUT MOSTLY THEN PRESS THEIR ADVANTAGE WHEN POSSIBLE (spacing via movement, lots of guessing/baiting/backdashing; utilizes mid-range game to gain advantage and press with mixups):
Aeon, Algol, Cervantes, Dampierre†, Ezio†, Ivy, Mitsurugi*, Nightmare, Pyrrha*, Raphael, Tira (JS more traditional keepaway, Gloomy kind of a weird rushdown/spacing hybrid; very versatile in Gloomy), Voldo†, Xiba*, ZWEI*

*Depends on playstyle, MU, etc. May result in them being in multiple categories.
†Tentative placements. Alternate viewpoints encouraged.

I realize there's some overlap between the categories that takes away a lot of the purpose of categorizing them in the first place. In addition, this is mostly subjective. Obviously you won't see much of Astaroth going toe-to-toe rushdown against Natsu while she tries to keep him out with bomb zoning, but it's possible to make retarded shit work sometimes. In any case, the most effective playstyle is to simply do whatever it takes to win, regardless of if it goes "against character"; every character has access to the fundamental tools needed to make the correct choices, blah blah blah. Threw this together in 10 minutes and didn't have time to proofread so feel free to correct me/ask me what the hell I mean by something if it's not clear.

Rather than trying to assign an arbitrary "who be gooder" value for a rather ill-defined term like spacing, I'll start by setting some definitions for how I view these terms and the ways they relate to SCV's mechanics.

Zoning: Distinct from spacing because it focuses more on attacks and countering approach options. Optimal range mid to long. Second category.
Spacing: Different form of zoning; focuses on maintaining an optimal range primarily through character movement. Generally prefers to stay at a mid range where fast bitches with i11 AAs and shit don't mess them up too much. Punishes whiffs and opponent hesitation. Optimal range mid to close/mid. Third category.

αPat, Leixia, Maxi*, Mitsurugi*, Natsu, Patroklos, Pyrrha*, Pyrrha Ω, Viola, Xiba*, Yoshimitsu

THESE CHARACTERS WANT TO KEEP YOU OUT (zoning, utilizes attacks/pushback, uses opponent's movement against them to gain advantage):
Astaroth, Hilde, Sigfreud, Nightmare*, Xiba*, ZWEI*

THESE CHARACTERS WANT TO KEEP YOU OUT MOSTLY THEN PRESS THEIR ADVANTAGE WHEN POSSIBLE (spacing via movement, lots of guessing/baiting/backdashing; utilizes mid-range game to gain advantage and press with mixups):
Aeon, Algol, Cervantes, Dampierre†, Ezio†, Ivy, Mitsurugi*, Nightmare, Pyrrha*, Raphael, Tira (JS more traditional keepaway, Gloomy kind of a weird rushdown/spacing hybrid; very versatile in Gloomy), Voldo†, Xiba*, ZWEI*

*Depends on playstyle, MU, etc. May result in them being in multiple categories.
†Tentative placements. Alternate viewpoints encouraged.

I realize there's some overlap between the categories that takes away a lot of the purpose of categorizing them in the first place. In addition, this is mostly subjective. Obviously you won't see much of Astaroth going toe-to-toe rushdown against Natsu while she tries to keep him out with bomb zoning, but it's possible to make retarded shit work sometimes. In any case, the most effective playstyle is to simply do whatever it takes to win, regardless of if it goes "against character"; every character has access to the fundamental tools needed to make the correct choices, blah blah blah. Threw this together in 10 minutes and didn't have time to proofread so feel free to correct me/ask me what the hell I mean by something if it's not clear.
As an Ezio mainer, I can confirm your positioning of Ezio.

I really liked your post and I think that most of it is right, but there are some characters in the list above (Apat and Oprah) that I would say are just fine in a mid to long range, just because they are very well rounded and have either good movement or moves that can deal with spacing, but obviously they are better at short range.

edit: I dont know why i didn´t quote.

Generally speaking, I'd say the best spacing/zoning characters are Astaroth, Ivy, NM, and Sieg.

Who's got the worst spacing? No clue.

"Zone" tiers (just my opinion):

high:
- Ivy
- Astaroth
- Nightmare
- Siegfried
- Xiba
- Algol

upper mid:
- Hilde
- ZWEI
- Cervantes

mid:
everyone else

low:
the alexandras and natsu

In general natsu is not a zoning character, but 22b, a+b, 66k, 6a+b all have incredible range. I can whiff punish other characters "zoning" tools pretty consistently with these moves. I wouldn't put her at low.

Voldo†

I strongly agree with this. Voldo feels very slow in this game and I found that baiting the enemy and using zoning moves like 2BB, A+B and FC 3A+B either allow him to get in and inflict damage or retreat and recover. Just curious, has Voldo always been the hit-and-run type of character like he is in this game?

Back