Standard Controller Vs Arcade Stick - What's Your Take On This Matter?

I feel I don't need to bind anything other than g a b k on a stick, my stick setup is

A B K
G

That's it. The problem is I am much much better with a d-pad than a stick, but I feel moves like A+G, A+B, B+K etc, it's just better and easier on stick.

Now I am thinking this on a pad

L=G, R=A+B+K

then for front ones

A------ B----- K
A+B --B+K-- A+G or B+G(depends on character's command throw, simply A+G/B+G can be done without a bind)

Still, I spend $130+ tax on a Hori RAP V3 SA, so I might not do it and learn the stick thoroughly

Honestly, I used to think stick was strictly better for a long time, but then godlike pad warriors like Vangief and Inthul started emerging.

Right now, there's only two reasons why I play on stick right now:
1. I can time execution off of a fairly loud and recognizable rhythm. (It's like I'm playing Beatmania~)
2. I have buyer's remorse.

I miss arcades.

I use sticks mostly for 2D fighters*. Input accuracy is great and the buttons are large enough not to mispress when you hit them with force, which is generally the opposite of what Soul Calibur needs.

* SFIV doesn't count. Pad warriors in SFIV can 33 to SRK, which is ridiculous. The input accuracy requirement in SFIV is nearly non-existent thanks to the input assist system. If you think you're amazingly accurate at SFIV, go try KoF 13.

Soul Calibur doesn't generally require you to pull off the 2363214, 632146, etc rolling joystick motions but it does require you to be pretty accurate with your 11s, 99s, etc. Most people find it easier to do single inputs rapidly on a pad. However, Calibur requires you to have some really good button accuracy, just frame inputs and the ability to perform slides.

Here are some tips for some of you that are having problems in SC on a stick:
Know where your directions engage. You don't need to put the stick to it's maximum throw to engage the input. If you're trying to do 77/11/99/33 and you're hitting the corner of the 4 way gate - doinitwrong. Listen for the click of the microswitch.

You can try an 8 way gate. This will reduce the total throw and help you to find directions more accurately. 2D players generally prefer the 4 way gate because of the increase amount of throw making rolls easier, but 8 ways generally get annoying after you bump them a few times trying to do sweeping directions.

... Pad warriors in SFIV can 33 to SRK, which is ridiculous.

I hate to be that guy, but this isn't true. 3 counts as both 6 and 2, and you need three directional inputs for an SRK. You can do 323 instead of 623, however. Try what you said in training mode with input display on, it's not correct.

I hate to be that guy, but this isn't true. 3 counts as both 6 and 2, and you need three directional inputs for an SRK. You can do 323 instead of 623, however. Try what you said in training mode with input display on, it's not correct.

333 to SRK. Hell, 720 to SRK. It really doesn't matter in SFIV, now does it? :P
That's the point.

Regardless, I'm not going to argue SF vs KoF. Both games are great, etc, etc, but the point was you don't have to be nearly as accurate in SFIV. A point that you have clearly proven for us in a manner that's pretty hard to argue. :)

I'm not trying to argue anything contrary to what you're saying, I just saw a common misconception that needs correcting.

I play 2D game on pad only, and I never use shortcut because every game has different shortcut while the moves are more or less the same. I can do 360 out of no where on pad no problem, 236236 faster than I can on a stick, and things like uppercut FADC ultra just fine. But I feel I can tap a lot faster on stick, I can 66, 44, 33 or 466 all faster on a stick, but I do have some problem with doing 77 88 99. And press 2 button for A+B just feels better.

KoF is a bitch to input, I never notice this with SF4 but on my madcatz wireless pad, it will skip the input if you do it too fast, if I do HCBx2 too fast the down from the second HCB is skipped by the pad... I now use a hori wired controller which has no such problem, DS3 has no such problem too because it uses PS3's build in wireless I guess.

I play on stick but that's because im an old school fighter arcade junkie. Been playing in them since the first time i played Street Fighter 2 and its not likely to change as long as my two modded sticks don't break badly.

I feel it gives me more precise control. That and a lot of the tournaments for other fighters are stick only. Or at least the few I've seen recently.

I prefer a stick.... I've unfortunatly been forced to use a pad since SCV's release. Its REALLY hard to side step and do buffers. (my stick broke =.=, *sob*)

There's enough good pad players out there that this shouldn't be a debate anymore. HOWEVER most good pad players I know use PS style pads, and older versions from PS2/1 if they can help it. The Xbox pad isn't going to make things impossible, but it's definitely inferior for fighters.

There's enough good pad players out there that this shouldn't be a debate anymore. HOWEVER most good pad players I know use PS style pads, and older versions from PS2/1 if they can help it. The Xbox pad isn't going to make things impossible, but it's definitely inferior for fighters.

You can get those silver pads that have raised dpads for the 360 which are serviceable, they're less precise on taps than the ds3, but smoother for rolling motions. To be honest, for those who have touched an old saturn pad, nothing will ever feel quite good enough.

I have both the Madcats TE and the Hori RAP VX, and would have to say I prefer the TE. The build quality of the Hori is actually superior and I much prefer the look (no tacky "art" all over it), but 2 things are fundamentally flawed with it;

1) The bottom edge is slanted instead of being flat, this means no palm resting. I think you would need to have very small hands for this not to be a problem. How did this get past QA?

2) The button layout is simply preposterous. I mean, just take a look... Why on earth would you put B there? The mind boggles.

1x.jpg

It's a shame, because I prefer this to the TE in many ways, but in none of the ways that truly matter.

Pretty much this - but bear in mind that sticks garuntee precision and when we stick players with our shiny new mods see each other at tournaments, we know we're the OG's there. Sticks are just cooler. =)

Sweating_Butter- I have both of those sticks too but I prefer the Hori.
I like the slanted area for my palm. My hands aren't very big so the buttons are no prob for me.

Can some one here recomment me a joystick with a small throw-distance? I have the HORI RAP SA (the one pictured above) and im concidering changeing the joystick on it to something with a small throw-distance as I found that it get in the way sometimes.

Sweating_Butter- I have both of those sticks too but I prefer the Hori.
I like the slanted area for my palm. My hands aren't very big so the buttons are no prob for me.

That's cool, I guess it just doesn't suit the way I hold a stick. I'm used to resting my right palm on a flat surface.

Can some one here recomment me a joystick with a small throw-distance? I have the HORI RAP SA (the one pictured above) and im concidering changeing the joystick on it to something with a small throw-distance as I found that it get in the way sometimes.

I have a custom stick with a seimitsu LS-32 in it that seems to have a slightly smaller throw, well, it's much stiffer and clickier at least so it feels less mushy than the JLF.

Mostly it's based on preference, what you like more. Then there's a few pro's and cons for both.

Play Station [any system] controllers are my personal preference.
Arcade stick isn't my thing, because of the stick specifically.

It feels more comfortable to use a D-pad than some clunk stick to me. Though I know that with a stick, theoretically, you'd be able to double tap directions easier than with a D-pad. The D-pad is always more accurate for me. So when I'm playing streetfighter and want to do 236236 Fierce I trust the D-pad more than the stick. In SC, it doesn't matter as much. I still have a lot of directional input errors with a Stick in SC.

Buttons. Stick > Pad.
Take Hilde and Zero [in TvC, MvC, or UMvC]. Playing these characters on a pad is near impossible with the default control scheme. I've seen many different map outs just to play button charge characters like these, but only on pads. On a stick it's not so difficult to Hold B and A at the same time while you're using K attacks, then releasing A while you're holding onto K. Or in the case of Zero pressing L [and holding it] M H 6H [hold H release L], L [Hold L, release H] M, H, 6H [Hold H, release L] S, 8 More of the hold/release but in the air now, till you knock'em down then you finally release whatever you were holding last [probably H].

Yeah, complicated button pressing is easier on a Stick. Even the simpler things. On a pad I have buttons mapped as BG, A, AB, and ABK for shoulder buttons. Pressing ABK is a pain in the ass [on a controller, that is]. inputing agA is also obnoxious on a pad.

So, If a stick had a D-pad to use, I'd go for that.
I'd want an arcade stick that had something like the wiimote nun-chuck thing, only a D-pad rather than an analogue. The hit box looks like a decent option.

For, SC, I'd go with a GameCube controller. Normally GC controllers suck sweaty balls in fighting games [ever play capcom vs snk for GC?.. Don't]. The button layout is perfect for SC for some reason or another. Easy to press all combinations of buttons except for GK [and in SCII that didn't even do anything. Now to mention it's not that useful anyway. And if you really needed to taunt you could always set it as Z or one of the triggers].

Back