Taking a break

Organous

[09] Warrior
Eh, if the mods decide to count this as spam, I won't be upset. I just needed to express this somewhere and this was the perfect place. I remember a thread once asking about people hitting a "plateau." Well, I've found mine. My play has become absolutely robotic, and not in a good way at all. Even spammy noobs are beating me, and I've had people beating me with totally predictable repetitions of the exact same moves. I'll know exactly what each of the moves are, and still get hit with them.
Yeah, it's gotten pretty demoralizing, so I'll probably be taking a break from Soul Calibur for a couple weeks or a month. I definitely want to get back into the tournament scene again, though, so I'm not going to let myself miss my chance at the regionals. I don't really know what caused it, since many things happened as I noticed my play starting to slip, but I know one positive thing can happen from it. I notice that when I take time away from a game, usually a much longer period than a month (like half a year), I'll suddenly get tremendously good once I get back in. Maybe it's because I no longer have the predisposition for certain habits that got in my way before.

So I won't be playing for a while... but I can't find myself able to tear myself away from the forums. :p

Play some VF5 while you're taking the break. Just be aware that looking past its blandness is harder than learning its system.

i often find that simply using a different character and never using your mains (for a few months) once you pick this one up can help break old habits/roboticness in your other characters. taking a break form the game only hindered me (i didn't play for a little over a month and was a zillion times worse than i was before) but i am pretty terrible overall. so that might not be relevant to your situation.

I think in your case a break would help a lot. I myself am getting a bit bored with the game, but I'm working on revamping my play style. It's also pretty fun to make 'discoveries' for characters so I try finding new unconventional strats for unused moves or finding completely unlisted moves. Of course that's just me.

Well, I can say I know how you feel, I've gone through stretches where I can't beat anyone and I get totally owned using my main. However, taking a break from the game altogether can hinder your reaction times (i.e. duck and punish, throw breaks, blocking lows), so in lieu of not playing, you should just pick up a new character and invent a new playstyle for yourself.

Working hard to win with a character you are unfamiliar with will give you an new appreciation for your main and what they are capable of doing (you main Asta like I do, and you'll probably be thinking "damn I wish I could crouch throw/air throw them right there" or "if I only had bullrush i would have won that round") and bring a renewed fervor to your game. If it's defense you are struggling with, try to stay loose and enjoy yourself. Remember, the primary reason we should all be playing this game is to have fun....you lose sight of that, and the fun goes right out of the game.

Back