Talim in SCVI: Move Study & Analysis

Lethal hit 6(A+B) is the juice right now. Finding more places to land that is key, imo. 93 dmg combo with 6BB6~WNS B followup. Usually works when you sidestep a launcher.

So far I prefer LH 6(A+B)~4B,A (slight delay)~BT A,A,B. Does about 95 damage if I recall correctly and you can replace the BT A,A,B with BT CE for more damage.

I'm starting to really like B,K as both a punisher and a pressure tool on run in. It's an i14-ish combo starter for 30 dmg, the K followup covers you if they stepped your B, and vs RE you still have time to sidestep even if both hits are parried. The K is High though, so on block it's duckable. But hey, it still does a good number of things. especially if you're at advantage.

The same can be said for 4A,K. The first hit is High, but if your opponent's while rising punish gets hit by the K (which is very fast), you get a stun counter that gives you a free AABA into WNC.

If nothing else, it could force people to GI more, and Talim has some good ways to blow up GI attempts on a read.

From what I've checked, both of her anti-GI LHs net her around 90 damage, though the max damage combo for LH A+B is a bit annoying to pull off.

i just wanna know why 3A+B was chosen as a move for lethal hit properties. You can't do much off of it anyways, and it's such an awkward move/requirement. Can't say I'll ever see myself purposefully baiting it out.

LH 3A+B~6B,B6~WNS B 69 damage. It has a little use after some strings as a tech trap, but they have to tech in a specific way in order for the LH to take effect. In short, too gimmicky for actual use.

Personally, I want to know why low health running K was chosen. You can't even practice a combo for it in training mode.

something unfortunately interesting, her 1b seems to put them into that toe grabbing stun on counterhit for the first hit of the attack, and the second knocks them out of it.... whyyyyy

EDIT: I meant off of a wall stun, my bad. But still, if it kept that property ughhh.

Last edited:
I'm starting to really like B,K as both a punisher and a pressure tool on run in. It's an i14-ish combo starter for 30 dmg, the K followup covers you if they stepped your B, and vs RE you still have time to sidestep even if both hits are parried. The K is High though, so on block it's duckable. But hey, it still does a good number of things. especially if you're at advantage.

The same can be said for 4A,K. The first hit is High, but if your opponent's while rising punish gets hit by the K (which is very fast), you get a stun counter that gives you a free AABA into WNC.

If nothing else, it could force people to GI more, and Talim has some good ways to blow up GI attempts on a read.

Yeah, I've been using B,K and 4AK a lot more lately. They both compliment each other well, with a fall back option for the potential that your first button wasn't the one you needed. Trying to deal with crouchers? Use B,K, if they stepped, the K will get them, hopefully. Need to deal with stepping first, 4AK, same thing, just the opposite. It's nice.

i just wanna know why 3A+B was chosen as a move for lethal hit properties. You can't do much off of it anyways, and it's such an awkward move/requirement. Can't say I'll ever see myself purposefully baiting it out.

Yeah... I tried implementing it, but at the range where that qualifies as a "long range" move for Talim, is the base range for a lot of character's AAs and BBs, which are all waaaay faster than this move. So it's a bit hard to land. Might be some setup to get the ideal range, who knows.

can someone tell me the purpose of A6

I haven't been able to figure this one out. If this move was a mid, I would be all over what it's use was, as god knows Talim has so few tracking mids. Which lends me my answer to your other question...

From my brief exploration of tracking, 3K is her best tracking mid. It tracks both ways, is minus (safe) on block, and plus enough for 4B on hit.

Far from done, but here is my quick notes on tracking so far...

6BB: Doesn't track
BB: Doesn't track (though can very slightly hit someone moving right if they step late)
4B: Doesn't track
4BB: Doesn't track
4BA: Tracks both ways (can be ducked)
1B: Doesn't track
2B: Doesn't track
44B: Stepped late, it can hit people who step left, but only if done from a far distance.
3K: Tracks both ways. Seems to be her best mid tracker so far.
6K: Can hit people who step left late at point blank range. So, not useful.
22(88)B: Doesn't track
K: Tracks both ways (Duckable)
4K: Tracks both ways (Duckable)
1K: Tracks both ways
2K: Tracks both ways
236B: Doesn't track.
8B: Doesn't track.
8K: Doesn't track.
8A: Tracks both ways
66K: Doesn't track
44K: Doesn't track
44AA: Tracks both ways
FC-B: Doesn't track
WR-B: Doesn't track

What do yall use against mina and ivy? I feel like someone decent at those characters causes me so much frustration. There are so many more tools to push me back than there are for me to get in.

Patience and timing really. Mina is a different beast than Ivy though, Ivy you have to guess right just to get in on her, lol. At least with Mina if you read things like 1B, 2A+B, and 6A, you can punish her on whiff pretty hard. If she's stopping your approach with highs, like AA, 6A, 6A+B, or even standing K, you do have a few running TCs like 66A+B to get in and under those for good damage. Can also swap out with 662A if they step in response to your forward dash.

But yeah those are tough matchups for sure.

Last edited:
Patience and timing really. Mina is a different beast than Ivy though, Ivy you have to guess right just to get in on her, lol. At least with Mina if you read things like 1B, 2A+B, and 6A, you can punish her on whiff pretty hard. If she's stopping your approach with highs, like AA, 6A, 6A+B, or even standing K, you do have a few running TCs like 66A+B to get in and under those for good damage. Can also swap out with 662A if they step in response to your forward dash.

But yeah those are tough matchups for sure.
Well my only problem characters that I'm having is Siegfried Sophia

Now that we have a frame data program for PC, I guess the intended "purpose" for A6 is that it's +6 on hit, which is crazy high, and only -2 on block. So it might be something you could use to maybe steal turns on slow characters. At +6, you can also setup pretty much anything you like, so that's always nice. Still not great a i14 (or was it 16?). If it was a fast whiff punish tool and gave that kind of advantage, like if she had a i10 on that or something, I might consider that worthwhile.

---

Far as matchups go, and while I still do suffer from a lot of unfamiliarity with some of them, my hardest matchup tends to be Azwel. I feel like his backstep goes incredibly far, and he just really eats away at you. I'm sure there's things I should be doing -- but, gotta lab him.

Despite her being rather ridiculous, I actually enjoy fighting Mina. Mostly because it feels like a classic zoner vs rushdown character. Walk block, walk block, and such. At 1B range, I tend to side step a lot, or fish with 44B lethal (kinda hard), or react with 8B. 8B whiffs, but you still close the gap. If I do manage to get into 6A range, I usually just crouch, walk-forward, crouch until I'm sort of passed that range. It's all a very slow game for a bit.

Honestly, most of my losses to Mina come from her... ridiculous soul charge. Suddenly all those zoning tools are now plus (or close to it) on block, can't be GIed and uh... hurt a lot more than the extreme damage they were doing already.

Now that we have a frame data program for PC, I guess the intended "purpose" for A6 is that it's +6 on hit, which is crazy high, and only -2 on block. So it might be something you could use to maybe steal turns on slow characters. At +6, you can also setup pretty much anything you like, so that's always nice. Still not great a i14 (or was it 16?). If it was a fast whiff punish tool and gave that kind of advantage, like if she had a i10 on that or something, I might consider that worthwhile.

---

Far as matchups go, and while I still do suffer from a lot of unfamiliarity with some of them, my hardest matchup tends to be Azwel. I feel like his backstep goes incredibly far, and he just really eats away at you. I'm sure there's things I should be doing -- but, gotta lab him.

Despite her being rather ridiculous, I actually enjoy fighting Mina. Mostly because it feels like a classic zoner vs rushdown character. Walk block, walk block, and such. At 1B range, I tend to side step a lot, or fish with 44B lethal (kinda hard), or react with 8B. 8B whiffs, but you still close the gap. If I do manage to get into 6A range, I usually just crouch, walk-forward, crouch until I'm sort of passed that range. It's all a very slow game for a bit.

Honestly, most of my losses to Mina come from her... ridiculous soul charge. Suddenly all those zoning tools are now plus (or close to it) on block, can't be GIed and uh... hurt a lot more than the extreme damage they were doing already.
yeah mina soul charge 1 b is the death of me. fuck her highs, thats the move that causes my headaches.

Mina SC makes me envious, I wish talim had one move that was instantly improved, and didn't require a prerequisite attack. Make 66A+B a guard break or something nasty.

Back