The AMAZING SC4 Online General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy plain and simple doesn't know anything. Pretty interesting to see a casual's perspective sometimes though. I cannot no matter what I do get my friends into fighting games. This is possibly close to what they think.

I have the same trouble. Ive only been able to get 1 friend and my son into SC and nothing else. And now my son tells me this weekend "you know how you hate playing halo, well thats how I feel bout SC"......that was like someone kicking me in the nuts......That shit hurt, so I grounded his ass and locked him in the closet!!

I takes a lot of time to perfect your fighting game. I can see someone who puts a ton of time into a nerd game like WoW, I reckon it would take just as much time to develop ur fighting game skills and most casuals wont put that much time into a fighting game, at least without some kind of consistant comeptition

HRD

Main problem is FG's require you not to be a social retard to continue up the chain: i.e. offline. In a fighter, when you complain, people are just more likely to call you out (rightfully) as a bitch. The medium is not native to online, and it shows. FPS/RTS do not ask the same of you, socially, because competition online is legit.

Now back to your regularly scheduled WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

-Idle

Yeah, and you know why they love shooters? Because they require no much practice, or memory. The best way to get a kid involved into fighting games is to make them feel like they're the best at the game. But if you just play with him as if you were playing online, you're doomed.

The article is pretty stupid. But needing memory is not something I would brag about, that's probably the single worst element of fighting games is memorizing all the moves of all the characters in the game. Anyhow it's safe to say that every game lends itself to a different skill set. I think fighting games lend themselves to yomi and mindgames more so than any other games, because they are games of perfect information and less dependent on twitch reflexes then FPS or RTS. In RTS you need the ability to do many things simultaneously. In FPS you need very good reflexes and coordination, but also very good spatial reasoning and visualization skills.

I think there is some fairness when he says that FG's haven't evolved as much. Many games though that are aimed at pleasing a crazy competitive segment of the community are like this. I don't think StarCraft 2 is any dramatic evolution on StarCraft. I do think though that FPS have made much more noticeable strides forward, different game modes, vehicles, more varieties in how the game is approached ranging from vehicles to special abilities, etc etc.

I think the issue is that the mentality in FG's and in some segment of the RTS community is the notion of the 1-1 straight up game as the ultimate test of skill has in some ways held the community back. For better or worse the FPS community thinks there's a lot more measures of pure skill than 1-1 deathmatch. So they are more open to new game modes, etc.

I don't think it would hurt the FG community to open up and give some serious consideration to alternate game modes, like tag team, or perhaps a mode where each person selects multiple characters and they "jump in", etc.

I'm proud of my hard work in archery, you don't see me putting a picture of my arrows' grouping as my avatar. I'm also farily certain HRD will go further than you in the Soul Calibur community(which in truth is all that matters on this forum)

B.Marshall you live in Washington, right? Do you by chance live near the Seattle area? If so, there's some offline players in your area I could hook you up to play with so you can see what we all are talking about in the difference between offline and online. There's actually a particularly good Maxi player up there and he'll give you some better mirror matches than the ones you and I have online.

In a fighter, when you complain, people are just more likely to call you out (rightfully) as a bitch.
L.O.L

as for a legitmate response to the article

1. fighters changes are more subtle and not obvious to the wide audience of button mashing scrubs

2. if it ain't broken don't fix it IE starcraft2
also as 2v2 starcraft would attest 1v1 IS THE TRUE TEST OF SKILL
in 2v2 starcraft it just revolves around cheesing the fuck out of people same with 3v3 and 4v4
bibulus ryder and myself had a sick 3v3 in starcraft
cannon rush>4 gate>dark templars

cannon rush would wipe 1 player
4 gate would cripple the next
dark temps for mop up
and as moba players will attest forced team work=ass

The article is horribly ignorant. Even 4-hr Mirror Edge game was fun. All you did was to find how to f-in jump around the buildings.

I have to admit I hate fighting vs Yoda. But I wouldn't message someone I didn't know and complain, just stop playing them. Not cause I lose, just cause its boring.

use maxi's 66B4 against yoda, oh and lots of A+Bg~RC K:K., and BL K

whats funny is yoda cant step out of the way of maxi's 4B+K UB. its funny shit!!

HRD

B.Marshall you live in Washington, right? Do you by chance live near the Seattle area? If so, there's some offline players in your area I could hook you up to play with so you can see what we all are talking about in the difference between offline and online. There's actually a particularly good Maxi player up there and he'll give you some better mirror matches than the ones you and I have online.

Sweet, KrayzieCD! I have always appreciated your assistance and will always be greatful for all your help, including the help from others. It means a lot anymore advice keep it coming!

Yes, BTW I live in Bothell. So... very close to Seattle. It is just North of Seattle.

Soul crushes in 5 ^^
(4 if they've already been soul crushed XD)

PS. WOOOOOO!!! I just educated a sophie player on something about Sophie! Now I feel fucking manly! ^_^
Ah ok. Thought it would be like Cass FC 3B or Asta 44B to Yoda where those are the only moves you need to beat him. That's not bad at all though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back