The Fate Of The Soulcalibur Community

maxedcrew

[08] Mercenary
I just finished watching CEO and witnessed many different styles of fighting games. When coming to grips with reality, there may be another re-release of Soulcalibur 5 done such with both Marvel v. Capcom and Streetfighter, but the possibility of Soulcalibur 6 and so on seems unlikely. Even with the new Soulcalibur being released, I have the urge to try out other fighters that seem very entertaining. I believe that both the community and its players will stick with fighting games so I impose the question of which fighting series game will the Soulcalibur community mainly migrate to after Soulcalibur has run its course?

From speculations I have made thus far, Tekken, SFxT, KOF, and Mortal Kombat do not seem popular among this particular community. As for Marvel and Street Fighter, they seem more tolerated but still relatively unliked. Please post the game you predict and the reasons for your choice. Other thoughts and comments are also welcome.

My personal choice is probably Street Fighter because the main reasons for the disliking of many of the 2D fighters are because they seem to lack the skill set needed for Soulcalibur which include knowledge, adaption, and reaction. Street Fighter seems to hold that high level of technical play that most Soulcalibur players pride themselves on.

You should probably reread and rewrite your first paragraph.

Still, if I'm understanding you correctly, I think it's a mistake to believe that the sole reason to play fighting games is to become competitive. I try pretty much every fighting game but, if it isn't fun (and mot games these days aren't to me) I don't spend time on it. I travel for SC because I just happened to get decent at it while playing and enjoy playing against other people. The competitive mindset (which I till, for the most part, lack) didn't set in until after that. I think that this has kept me from the tendency a lot of fighting game layers hve to hop from game to game.

Still, I think that two games I may end up traveling for, alongside Sc5, are Persona 4 and Tekken Tag 2.

I also forgot about DoA.

Before I go to sleep, I'll tell you why I say that about being competitive (which I took as being inferred from the way your post eluded to the FGC and its tournaments). If you go into a game with the mindset that, "I want to play this game to compete in tournaments," if you don't see results (in other words, are losing or not succeeding or learning at what you feel is a decent rate) there's really no reason for you to play that game. Meanwhile, if you're playing a game solely for the enjoyment you derive of from playing said game, as long as you enjoy that game, there is no question of what to play next. You do what you enjoy until you don't enjoy it anymore...then you find something else.

While I know that there are quite a few loyalists to videogames (in the FGC and all about), I think that attitude's pretty trivial. I play the SC series because I love it (probably beyond other fighting games). Will I love playing forever? Doubtful, but possible. Either way, my love is not exclusively for this game. Life lesson...love should never be exclusive. ~_^

I also forgot about DoA.
snip
~_^

Thanks for the post LostProvidence. Appreciate the post although I'm not getting at that the sole reason for playing fighting games is to do it competitively, I just know that poeple who play Soulcalibur will stay with fighting games as apposed to playing starcraft or COD. I myself play a lot of Soulcalibur but have not been to any tournaments.

I like SC but the way things are going, our community is drifting away unless there is a monetary prize involved for the big time players at most events like CEO, MLG, and EVO and even that seems to be losing its grip, not to mention the turnouts have been pretty low this year. Quite frankly, I'm more concerned about what's going to happen after EVO. The possibility of a Soul Calibur 6 seems highly unlikely with all the bad reviews, early word of mouth, and poor sales having the game's retail value lowered from $60 to $30. Other fighting games MVC3, SFxT, MK9, and many others that are tournament fixtures seem to rely on basically fanfare and nostalgia value and they seem to make their money that way. I love fighting games but SC will always have a place in my heart because it was first fighting game I ever owned and played when I first got a GameCube.

It's a shame, really. SC started out as such a strong franchise, being revolutionary in the 90's for its stunning graphics and fantastic gameplay. I think PS has a propensity for aesthetics now rather than content, which ends up disappointing long time fans and causing rifts between the community. SoulCal has clearly taken the back-burner...but what can we do? SCVI seems pretty unlikely, seeing as V wasn't initially going to be released. I hope they'll do a reprise of V and its gameplay, but I have my doubts.

Back