The General Sonic Thread

HydroJames

Shining Sea Dragon
I've been in a Sonic mood lately, so I made this thread. I have Sonic on the mind after playing Sonic Adventure, Unleashed, and Generations.

To kick things off, talk about Sonic's character designs.

(Japanese) 10-year-old Classic Sonic
latest

This is probably my favorite Sonic design due to the simplicity of it. I am very fond of video game characters that brandish simple. yet creative designs and used this as an inspiration for some of my creations for Soul Calibur. This basic Sonic design has many different revisions over years.

15/16-year-old Modern Sonic
latest

While I do prefer his classic look, I'll admit this design fits his character better, as the Classic design looked a bit short and chubby for the fastest thing alive. This sleek new design introduced in Sonic Adventure has him sporting longer limbs, longer quills, green eyes, and a slimmer body. I really don't mind this design and don't really get the hate some fans have for it.

Sonic Boom Sonic
Sonic_Boom_Sonic_2.png

I don't mind this design, either. This looks like a slight modification of his modern design. Sonic now sports blue arms, more quills, a scarf, and bandages which take the place of gloves, socks, and white stripes on his shoes. He certainly has a more athletic look this time around.

(Western) Classic Sonic
Sonic_11.png

Yeah, this one's a bit on the ugly side...
designsonicvz2.png

If you look at this side-by-side comparison, the differences are quite obvious. The western redesign sports thicker limbs, an angrier expression, bigger ears, a chubbier body, smaller feet, and, instead of six thick quills in the formation of a star, has three flat quills forming a mohawk.

Sonic Team didn't like this design as not only is it a bad redesign, but also redundant considering that were already aiming the Sonic series to western audiences anyway...

But, alas, I can't harp on this one too much. This was the Sonic design that I (and most likely you as well) grew up with and was the basis for Sonic's design in DiC's animated adaptations.

Back