The New MMA Thread

All he did was shit all over Muay Thai.

This guy's license should be revoked, and the ref Mazza while we are at it.

Just had to reiterate my point about C. Peoples being the worst judge ever...straight from the horses mouth:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=news.detail&gid=196142#

"Lyoto made Shogun come after him, he determined where the fight took place which in my opinion constitutes as effective Octagon control."

lol someone pointed out over on TZ, guess that means Kalib Starnes had the best octagon control of all time. What a fucking trash excuse this part was.

"Lyoto was landing the more cleaner and damaging strikes throughout the fight - if you take a look at the judging criteria clean strikes are valued more-so than the quantity of strikes landed. Although Rua threw a lot of low kicks they were not as damaging as Lyotos diverse attack in the earlier rounds which is why I scored the first three rounds for Machida. You have to keep in mind we always the favour the fighter who is trying to finish the fight, and leg kicks certainly don't do that."

Where was the damage on Rua? When was he even staggered once? And if he's sitting so close, how can he not see the giant fucking bruises all over Machida's legs and ribs? I was watching this shit on YOUTUBE and I could see how jacked up his ribs were. So for him not to understand the damage being done there, maybe he needs to get in there and let Shogun wail on his ribcage for a minute. I'm sure a lot of people would pay good money for that.

Only thing I could possibly see as a legitimate point is that you may or may not view leg kicks as trying to finish the fight. But if that's the case, Rampage wins a decision over Forrest just based on rounds where Forrest didn't accomplish what this douchebag feels was effective aggression or whatever the fuck. So where's the consistency?

"I'm just glad the other judges on the panel saw it the same way and I'm sure the fans who understand the technicalities of the sport agree with the decision too."

Well the other judges saw it that way, but nobody else in the building agrees, the fucking BOSS doesn't agree, well known fighters don't agree, and the entire internet has been blowing up with casual and hardcore fans alike calling bullshit.

So yeah conclusion is that Cecil Peoples is a fucking moron. I certainly hope he isn't a judge for the rematch.

Yeah no puny American damage for Fedor, lol. Gonna miss the free card this weekend because of the tourney in Buffalo, I'll have to catch it later on. Interested to see what 46 year old Randy looks like against someone his size.

This weekend it was all about the Manny-Cotto fight for me and I haven't had the time yet to check results or reruns.

How was it?

This weekend it was all about the Manny-Cotto fight for me and I haven't had the time yet to check results or reruns.

How was it?

I caught it online, Cotto started out ok but wasn't able to hurt Manny with his punches. Which to me is like.......wtf? He's so little, lol. But yeah after about the 4th round or so it was all Pacman, all the time. He just started walking through Cotto's punches and beasting.

So if Mayweather spent all that time running away from Cotto, and Pac just did Cotto up like THAT? Yeah don't hold your breath for that fight anytime soon, guys.

True, I would be amazed if Floyd accepts but since he is the pussiest of the pussies I doubt that fight happens and I don't want it to happen. Floyd should beat Mosley first before going for Manny. Show that you deserve that megafight first, Fraud Gayweather.

And Cotto did hurt Manny. In the fight he was bleeding from his mouth after the 5th if I remember correctly and did you see his post fight interview? He was all band aided and had a wrap around his left ear. Manny's hand speed, power and fighting style overwhelmed Cotto but Cotto did hurt him a little.

haven't posted in this thread in a while. kowtow getting called out by the 4chan guy was SO cash. btw, sakuraba never trained bjj to beat the gracies. he came from a freestyle wrestling background and his submission game came from training catch wrestling under billy robinson. the whole reason the sakuraba vs gracies feud was so significant was that someone who had never trained bjj was beating gracies. even more importantly, he finished two of those fights with submission holds. also, catch wrestling has been a part of mma just as long as bjj has, dating back to when antonio inoki was representing catch in the 70's vs masters of other disciplines, including muhammad ali. and speaking of catch, did anyone else see that josh barnett was at the tekken 6 national championships? it was posted on tz, he went 1-1 with markman lol

Time Warp Battle: 1967 Bruce Lee Would Teach BJ Penn a Lesson in History

Welcome to the second instalment of "Time Warp Battle," where historical fighting legends meet today's future Hall of Fame candidates.

What started off as a fun, playful idea has slowly developed into a painstaking and stressful labour of love.

I mean, how could I possibly pay homage to a man such as Bruce Lee who has forever redefined what it means to be a martial artist and do it in an excruciatingly brief article?

He is, after all, considered by many as being the most influential and revolutionary fighter in our history.

Originally, it was my goal to compare all of the relatable facts about Bruce Lee and his life against the current UFC lightweight champion—BJ “The Prodigy” Penn.

Where they were born, what styles of fighting they had studied, etc.

Admittedly, this article would have been much easier to write after GSP destroyed Penn at UFC 94, but in light of this past weekend’s fight against Diego “The Nightmare” Sanchez, my task just went from easy to very, very difficult.

BJ Penn is no slouch.

He has been criticized for his lack of conditioning, his overly confident behaviour, and his constant (perceived) complaining.

Penn, for as many fans as he has, simply rubs a lot of people the wrong way (admittedly, I used to be one of them).

But the man can definitely fight. There’s simply no denying that.

In fact, what really impressed me the most at UFC 107 was Penn’s ability to counter strike and anticipate his opponents’ every move—very Jeet Kune Do-like.

So the Big Question Is...

How would the current version of BJ Penn, who undoubtedly is at his all-time best, do against the 1967 version (hello, unstoppable punch) of Master Bruce Lee?

Quick Prediction

There’s just no stopping the "Dragon."

Oh and by the way, is it just me, or should this nickname be totally off-limits?

[COUGH ...MACHIDA...COUGH ]

Cripes, even the NHL retired No. 99—to me it just seems like the respectful thing to do.

Recently it was announced that basketball superstar LeBron James will voluntarily be giving up his uniform number (No. 23, in case you didn’t know) after the season, as a way of honoring Michael Jordan.

Food for thought.

Anyway, I digress. Moving on...

So You Think You Know Bruce Lee, Huh?

Perhaps like me, you have read his books, watched his movies, paid attention to his philosophies, and studied his every move? Maybe you even have a poster of him somewhere in your house?

The sad truth, however, is that very few people can honestly say they really knew this man.

What I envision when I think of Lee is a highly intelligent, free-thinking spirit with an open mind and an open heart. I also see a man who epitomizes discipline and work ethic.

A true leader by all definitions.

I also see a man who was driven with a purpose.

A caring teacher. A man with a dark side. A man without fear. A man full of love and hate (and violence).

Yes—Lee was a man like any other man, complete with mistakes and flaws, but what really separated him from anyone was his unrelenting pursuit for truth in a time when cultural and racial bias were his toughest opponents.

A true pioneer.

What Is BJ Penn’s Greatest Weakness, and How Would Bruce Lee Use It To Destroy Him?

Quite simply—his stubborn pride.

Many people would probably be inclined to give Penn the advantage over Lee (in the most respectful way, of course...) because of Penn’s natural grappling abilities on the ground, but this past weekend showed us all that Penn would never take this fight to the ground if given the opportunity.

He would be far too determined to prove that he is the better, faster, and more complete striker.

Penn, being the ultimate warrior he is, would never implement what he would perceive to be the easier fight plan.

Taking this fight to the ground would symbolize fear, and BJ would want to send a very clear message: He fears no man—not even the legend himself.

This would be Penn’s fatal error, and even if he suddenly found himself in enough trouble to want to take the fight to the ground (a place that GSP was more than happy to take him to) it would be far too late.

The fight would already be over.

Death by "Unstoppable Punch."

Hey, if GSP could land a "Superman Punch," I see no reason to believe that Penn could defend himself against anything Lee had to offer.

Lee was amazingly fast and unbelievably strong.

As good as Penn looked this past weekend, let’s not forget folks...Diego Sanchez is not Bruce Lee.

Not even close.

So please do not think Penn would look near as good on his feet against Lee—because he wouldn’t.

To quote Lee himself: “Either you understand, or you don’t, and that is that.”

Please feel free to check out Robert Gardner’s "Time Warp" article, where he believes that Penn would slay the "Dragon."

Let the debate begin...

haven't posted in this thread in a while. kowtow getting called out by the 4chan guy was SO cash. btw, sakuraba never trained bjj to beat the gracies. he came from a freestyle wrestling background and his submission game came from training catch wrestling under billy robinson. the whole reason the sakuraba vs gracies feud was so significant was that someone who had never trained bjj was beating gracies. even more importantly, he finished two of those fights with submission holds. also, catch wrestling has been a part of mma just as long as bjj has, dating back to when antonio inoki was representing catch in the 70's vs masters of other disciplines, including muhammad ali. and speaking of catch, did anyone else see that josh barnett was at the tekken 6 national championships? it was posted on tz, he went 1-1 with markman lol

But I've never been to 4chan, lol. Go figure.

And we had T6 Nats already? Musta missed it. Did Barnett play anyone else?

i don't know, but i bet he maps button combinations to the shoulder buttons

...to get an unfair advantage

...because he takes steroids

Back