There were no "Good old days". SC Changes (often and drastically)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was new here I got chewed out for being "vague" and "nebulous" in my statements. At that time I didn't know about the pro vs. casual rift. All I knew was I was trying to learn. So, from first hand experience, I can say that some people around here will not only jump on noobs for posting misinformation, but they'll jump on you for trying to avoid posting misinformation. I'm only still here cuz I'm stubborn and kind of get off on drama. Plus, like Wandrian says, I R Dumb.

But not all of the casuals are bad, I mean you know some ( I don't go to tournaments and care for casual things) of us just want have fun, and see things that make the game fun for us, you see like discussing story and characters.
Also it is not like we don't care for important things such as punishment and reading, and even if we don't know so much, and when we speak a thing, someone just give us a less than pleasant treatment. Not from everyone, many players already helped me out how to do things, like teaching me Clean Hit and some combos. I just think the fight between casuals and hardcores is not helping anything out, we should be here for the loves of the series, not because someone play the game more serious than another.

The is now a casual vs competitive thread. Sorry Idle.
LOL! This is an ongoing and interesting discussion. I'd kind of like to see how it goes. I really don't know many actual pro's that have weighed in here. I wish they had a banner under their avatar. And, does just entering and playing in a tournament make you a pro, or do you actually have to win once in a while?

I think, for the most part, that we're doing a good thing by looking at ourselves and the community. Some of the most informative, productive conversations I've been in have gotten pretty rough. Usually, right before punches get thrown, solutions start to appear.

Bummer that new people get into this game and join this forum. I held out as long as I could. Then, I got curious. I'm sure I could pull examples up of me doing exactly what you seem to consider a cardinal sin. There is such a thing as a learning curve. My concern is that attitudes like yours don't respect such a fact. More so, that it drives people away before they even get to understand how and why they're wrong about things. Instead of helping others who are encouraged to help others, you're diminishing the numbers of those who could be helpful one day, because you don't have the patience to be helpful today.

Ah so we're going to go with the sarcastic route. Plus you're assuming that I'm an overall negative person and am discouraging new people from coming here. I'm not helpful? First off check my history. I have no problems with new people joining the community and contributing in their own way. As long as it's done right. Look I'm not some elitist old school calibur head that you all like to say is out there. In fact you could say I'm one of the better known people on this forum but not due to my skill in this game (I'm trash), not because of all of my "golden contributions" to my respective SA (I don't know shit), and not because I'm some online celebrity who runs some sort of popular stream show (I fucking hate computers). But I can tell you what I have done. I personally dragged Hawkeye into this community during our SC4 XBL days. I was there welcoming some of our newer guys like Xeph, Partisan, Heaton, Sephalump, and Ringout.

Really I can go on about what I've contributed personally to this community but I'm not trying to pat myself on the back. What I am trying to do is maybe help those who want to contribute to this forum. Because as I've said I'm an idiot at this game. BUT, I'm a HUGE fan. And one of the things that I've done while not coming off as an uninformed idiot was ask questions. I know I don't have much to contribute due to my lack of knowledge. I know that when it comes to how to play this game/series correctly these are the guys to learn from. I know that when I have an opinion on this game/series that when I express it I don't present it as concrete fact. I leave it open ended for discussion so maybe something I've missed could be explained to me and then we can openly communicate on what could be changed for the better. But overall you have these people who haven't put in the time or gained any kind of respect coming in and saying the biggest pile of bullshit over and over again and then wanna argue if they're corrected. Or they come in spouting off some negative opinion and using terms like "the real soul calibur" that really everyone just rolls their eyes at. It does nothing but to contribute to the strife and disharmony in these forums. So all I'm asking is if you're a newer guy and want to contribute, ask some questions at first. See what the overall consensus is on whatever subject you're trying to form an opinion on and whether you agree or disagree go from there. If you disagree state why and ask why the consensus is different from what you feel the point is. I know this won't ever be the case. As everyone has a chip on their shoulders on wants to be right all the goddamn time but hey a man can dream huh?

Remove the casual forum and you'll start seeing garbage threads popping up in the SCV multi forum and the SAs. It's like slytherin house, we keep all the bad apples in one place for easier manageability.

Okay I've seen some of the points I touched on were posted before I could get this long fucking essay of a post out. Let me just say this, if a new guy is asking a question to acquire knowledge and is actually trying to learn something about the game/community and some "veteran" idiot shits on you. I will personally delete their shit and get them banned for a week. I saw a lot of that when I first got on this forum but it's calmed down quite a bit. People should not be afraid to post a question without looking and being made felt like an idiot.

I remember when I joined the site I didn't go around acting like I knew what the fuck was going on and disrespecting the older players. I asked questions if I didn't know something and if I posted something that was wrong and someone corrected me I thanked them instead of getting defensive.

I didn't come here acting like a scrub and I wasn't treated like one.

For reference on what I posted earlier please go to the "How to Tame a Viola" thread and look at the interaction between an unknown player and a highly regarded known as the best Viola in the world player. Granted right now it hasn't turned into a flame war (and knowing LP it won't) but this is how people's feelings get hurt and bullshit just starts to spread. Please people just take the information and learn from it. That's all I'm asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back