Throw Break Conditioning

MammothMan

WR B, NSS A+B, GS KK, W!, 4KK, 33B, GSB
Ok so I really suck at breaking throws, it's probably THE biggest hole in my defensive game. I was just wanting to know, what did you guys do to condition yourselves to breaking throws on reaction, any suggestions on how I can work on this besides just mash a or b or both while blocking?

I've never been able to break throws on reaction since I've only played online. Not sure that anyone does it on reaction online anyway. I do it by setting R1 or RT as B and default for A. I'm pretty much always mashing either A or B while blocking. I look for setups that could ring me out and I mash accordingly.

I'm sure someone else can provide a better answer for you but that's just my strategy.

Reactions: HRD
I think the only advice I can give is "repetition". The more I play the game the better I get at throw breaking and guessing my opponents grab attempts.

Playing online is alright practice for trying to follow people's grab patterns/mixups, but you can't really break them on reaction which is somewhat detrimental, but not entirely bad.

So besides that I don't really think there is anyway to specifically better your throw breaking, but actively thinking about throw options (RO throws, wall comboing throws etc...) in game will probably help you get better at at. IMO it's just one of those things that comes with time.

The easy answer is, everytime you're blocking mash the hell out of A or B. Over time you just sort of pick up the timing. I think most of the players in Philly started with the "mash everytime you block" method and eventually just got to the point where we could break on reaction.

Have faith, practice enough and it'll come. Thanks to 350z and woahhzz most of philly can even break Ivy's command throws on reaction now.

Reactions: HRD
Mashing works really well for me... Just hard to remember to do it constantly... Big thing is that when they are in close or like SL said able to ring you out by a certain throw then be sure to be mashing a grab break. Most of the time whoever your playing will favor a certain throw. Some characters A throws are better than B and so on. So they will usually favor the better or more damaging throw.

Breaking on reaction is really just reading your opponent and when you think he will throw. Mashing while guarding though as difficult as it may be at first. Is really a good answer for starting out. Eventually you will start to relize when people are setting up for the throw because you break them more often.

So mash, read your opponents habits before throwing, read your position in the ring, and whether the oppenents command or more damaging grab is A or B.

I've more or less conditioned myself to duck on reaction against throws, to me it seems like a better alternative to guessing which throw it is to break it. How well has everyone else faired with this?

I've more or less conditioned myself to duck on reaction against throws, to me it seems like a better alternative to guessing which throw it is to break it. How well has everyone else faired with this?

Ive always ducked throws on reaction... Gives you better punishment, but it can also get you in trouble.

Yea, I've found if you guess wrong that they're going to throw, punishment can be pretty fierce, though I'm wondering if it's any worse than guessing wrong on a throw break.

I personally never duck unless the character I'm playing against has an annoying unseeable low that either give +/0/-1/-2 or knockdown, so I prefer grab breaks by far. If I can see patterns in grab attempts ducking is optimal, although my punishment could use some work in that area.

However if that is working for you definitely run with it. But if your opponent adapts and starts setting up mids in place of his/her throws it becomes a whole lot riskier.

Yea, ducking throws is indeed risky, but I guess it's no riskier than trying to guess the right throw in the middle of the ring. Being the randomizing throw whore that I am, I know that using mix up throws just to throw off someone's breaking game (IE using NM's B+G grab in the middle of the ring instead of the superior A+G) is a viable option from the offensive stand point.

Yea, ducking throws is indeed risky, but I guess it's no riskier than trying to guess the right throw in the middle of the ring. Being the randomizing throw whore that I am, I know that using mix up throws just to throw off someone's breaking game (IE using NM's B+G grab in the middle of the ring instead of the superior A+G) is a viable option from the offensive stand point.

Just depends on who your fighting against... Ducking on certain characters your going to eat big time damage. Just be sure when you do duck them, you punish! Nightmare can make them eat pretty big damage for just ducking a throw.

Breaking them also brings some opponents down to the point where they wont even try to throw anymore.

Ok so I really suck at breaking throws, it's probably THE biggest hole in my defensive game. I was just wanting to know, what did you guys do to condition yourselves to breaking throws on reaction, any suggestions on how I can work on this besides just mash a or b or both while blocking?
I think it's a hole in everyones game. Nobody can avoid it, But you can minimize these issues by knowing the character and studying the person's grabbing choices. I'll give you a few pointers in my book. Cant list everybody, cuz that will take forever. lol

I'm a VOLDO player and I can tell you I'll be grabbing you in the most awkward of situations. I can turn around and grab, jump forward and grab, or pick you up from the ground if youre rolling. ducking helps against most of his moves.

When MITSU or SOPHI (flashing shield) slide forward you have only microseconds to react. Ducking usually helps.
ASTAROTH and ROCK has a series of grabs and you have to be careful not to be standing,laying, or crouching directly in front of him.
AMY and RAPHAEL are all about poking at you until you have no choice but to block and then they reach out and touch you. (watch out for Raphaels teleport!)
Most cervantes fighters dont have any crazy tactics to prepare them for a grab. so they just dash out and grab you. lol
IVY doesnt physically grab much. But she will grab with the whip. So understand her stances before grabs and you'll be good.

True, I tend to punish throw whiffs with WR B, I'd use FC 3B, but shit that move won't land and there's even a chance they can grab you at the start of the animation as NM gets up! F'n L.A.M.E.

The one advantage I have is the slight glitch with NM and Sieg where most characters can't throw them while they're blocking unless they're in make out range.

Im still learning how to break them on reaction myself. I can usually see the throw coming so I usually press A because the way i hold the remote my left hands index finger is right over L1, which I usually have as A+G. But sometimes (After I dont break the grab 3 times in a row) I switch to B with my right hand to break it.

True, I tend to punish throw whiffs with WR B, I'd use FC 3B, but shit that move won't land and there's even a chance they can grab you at the start of the animation as NM gets up! F'n L.A.M.E.

The one advantage I have is the slight glitch with NM and Sieg where most characters can't throw them while they're blocking unless they're in make out range.

You cant punish with 33B? When you duck a grab you actually have a long time to punish... Nightys FC 3B should work as well, if your getting grabbed while doing it then your doing it too soon...

I think it's a hole in everyones game. Nobody can avoid it, But you can minimize these issues by knowing the character and studying the person's grabbing choices. I'll give you a few pointers in my book. Cant list everybody, cuz that will take forever. lol

I'm a VOLDO player and I can tell you I'll be grabbing you in the most awkward of situations. I can turn around and grab, jump forward and grab, or pick you up from the ground if youre rolling. ducking helps against most of his moves.

When MITSU or SOPHI (flashing shield) slide forward you have only microseconds to react. Ducking usually helps.
ASTAROTH and ROCK has a series of grabs and you have to be careful not to be standing,laying, or crouching directly in front of him.
AMY and RAPHAEL are all about poking at you until you have no choice but to block and then they reach out and touch you. (watch out for Raphaels teleport!)
Most cervantes fighters dont have any crazy tactics to prepare them for a grab. so they just dash out and grab you. lol
IVY doesnt physically grab much. But she will grab with the whip. So understand her stances before grabs and you'll be good.

I was just wondering if there was actually any helpful advice in this post? It seems wide open. I cant really understand any of these "Pointers" at all.

Also grab breaking is not a hole in everyones game. Clearly you need to watch some of the pro's from this site play.

I was just wondering if there was actually any helpful advice in this post? It seems wide open. I cant really understand any of these "Pointers" at all.

Also grab breaking is not a hole in everyones game. Clearly you need to watch some of the pro's from this site play.
THATS WHY I'M ON THIS SITE. BECAUSE EVERYTHING I'VE DONE UP TO THIS POINT HAS BEEN BY INTUITION ALONE, NOT BY NUMBERS OR THEORIES. AND I CANT SPEAK ABOUT THE PROS ON HERE BECAUSE I'M NEW. SO EXPECT A HICKUP FROM ME NOW AND AGAIN. LOL. ALSO WHEN I SPEAK ABOUT SOMETHING, IT'S NOT GOING TO BE TYPED OUT IN "1A BB C3" CODING. I ONLY SPEAK FOR HOW MY MIND SEES THE GAME. SO FORGIVE ME IF WHAT I SAY SOUNDS PRIMITIVE. ONCE I UNDERSTAND THE LANGUAGE, I'LL BE ABLE TO GET OUT MY MESSAGE ALOT CLEARER. I'LL BE WORKING ON IT! LOL

THATS WHY I'M ON THIS SITE. BECAUSE EVERYTHING I'VE DONE UP TO THIS POINT HAS BEEN BY INTUITION ALONE, NOT BY NUMBERS OR THEORIES. AND I CANT SPEAK ABOUT THE PROS ON HERE BECAUSE I'M NEW. SO EXPECT A HICKUP FROM ME NOW AND AGAIN. LOL. ALSO WHEN I SPEAK ABOUT SOMETHING, IT'S NOT GOING TO BE TYPED OUT IN "1A BB C3" CODING. I ONLY SPEAK FOR HOW MY MIND SEES THE GAME. SO FORGIVE ME IF WHAT I SAY SOUNDS PRIMITIVE. ONCE I UNDERSTAND THE LANGUAGE, I'LL BE ABLE TO GET OUT MY MESSAGE ALOT CLEARER. I'LL BE WORKING ON IT! LOL

Thats fine, I would just refrain from giving advice untill I knew the language... Your advice was pretty broad, and kind of opinionated so it fit basicly just to you. Not everyone.

The notation is pretty simple. Check out the noobie silencer it should answer alot of questions for you

Thats fine, I would just refrain from giving advice untill I knew the language... Your advice was pretty broad, and kind of opinionated so it fit basicly just to you. Not everyone.

The notation is pretty simple. Check out the noobie silencer it should answer alot of questions for you
I HEAR YOU'RE POINT BUT EVERYTHING THAT'S SAID ON HERE IS FROM SOMEONES OPINION. SO I'M NOT GOING TO BE AFRAID TO SPEAK MY MIND EVEN IF I'M NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT TO YOU. SO ONCE AGAIN. EXPECT HICKUPS FROM ME EVERY NOW AGAIN. :-)

Back