Time For A Test! The Grøh General Discussion Thread

Here's some new details pulled from the Japanese site about Groh.

Arondight Replica
Described as the "Flower of Chivarly" which was once wielded by a famous knight of great renown, it was thusly named. Although a replica of the original that Groh carries, it's modern craftsmanship likely surpasses that of the original sword. Although the Aval Organization possesses other replicas of other weapons, Arondight Replica holds a special philisophical significance within the Organization, as it represents a symbol of pride with the society.
Only those with the dedication, training, skill and rank are allowed with wield the replica weapons. After years of dedication and hard work, Groh was promoted to the Twelfth Seat receiving the Arondight Replica from his instructor Odr. However, Groh's position within the Order is precarious. After a failure in dealing with the Azure Knight, Groh lost his seat and confusion within Aval Organization has placed Groh in a position where he must earn his place again with his next mission.

Aval Twin Swordsmanship
One of the martial styles taught within the Aval Organization.
Since its establishment in medievil times, the Aval Organization has developed martial styles for a variety weapons from, swords, spears, shields and wearing heavy armor. With the passage of time, the Organization adapted and abandoned the use of heavy armor and helmets for more practical techniques, and lighter clothing and armor.
The techniques of twin-swordsmanship through creative ideas and cultivated through training and form. It's unusual style created unique advantages for the wielder with the ability to attack with both ends of the weapon. But the dangers of self-injury were great, requiring incredible skill in order to handle the weapon properly.
The techniques also included instructions on how dual wield swords and attack the opponents in aggressive, close-ranged flurry. Together, the techniques were intended to create unpredictability and force the opponent into a guessing game of whether to attack or disengage.
In the end, Groh was ultimately dissatisfied with the style's lack cohesiveness, and instruction. Merging the two-styles into one cohesive form, he created a brand new style and name for each technique despite opposition within Organizations more conservative circles. Eventually they relented when it became apparent that Groh's new techniques were both practical and teachable to their peers. With his success in creating a new style for the organization, he named it the "Aval Twin Swordsmanship" after the organization in to establish it legitimacy

Are you using the translator or know how to read kanjis?
If you know, you can translate the others? Kappa

What do you want me to translate?
all bios, including weapons and fighting styles, If you have time or patience
19657055_1435372136554751_3916792985157788381_n.jpg

No way, just glancing at those bios and I can already tell you that they are the same ones from SC1 or SC2, so if you want that information just look those up, they’re going to be better written than what I can do.

Although, I may look at Zas’s and translate that one.

To people who have studied Groh or used him in demo, could you list some good moves and some basic combos?

@Woahhzz @Keysona @Ninjaguy446 @Blueboyb and anyone else with a good understanding of Groh in SC6.

Hey guys, so I'm working with a YouTube content creator called @Scallywag-93 to make beginner introductions guides for SC6 and one of the videos that's being worked on is a introduction profile of each character to hopefully get it out near or on release date.

Wanted to ask you guys a few questions on Groh since you've invested a lot of time into him so I can get the most accurate information for his part of the video.

If you could answer these:

1. His stand out strengths?
2. His stand out weakness?
3. Any important stand out moves and why are important?
4. Easy/Intermediate/Hard in terms of execution?
5. Easy/Intermediate/Hard in terms of gameplan and complexity?
6. Overall archtype / what kind of player the character will suit?

Thanks again.

6A+B6 is one of his key lethal hits that leads to easy combo damage.

66AA auto evades vertical attacks like Nightmares 66BB.
4B auto evades vertical attacks, lethal hits on back turned opponents.
22B also lethal hits on whiffed launchers.

AVN stances transitions are all unsafe on block, but can buffer in a 22 or 88 to sidestep cancel the stance to avoid vertical punishment.

AVN A A+B are unsafe on block.
AVN [A] and B are safe on block
AVN BB is safe on block, but disadvantaged.
AVN K is negative on hit.
AVN B+K is positive on block.

6BB6 and 6B6 are good standard pokes for transitions into AVN stance.

AAA and BBB last hits cannot combo even on CH.

6AA second hit is a tech crouch, second hit can be GI’ed. Can be mixed up with 6A6 AVN stance transition.

General strengths include evasion and unpredictability in Soul Charge. Great damage in SC and strong punisher with CE.

Weaknesses include limited 8WR game and limited WS game.

More info will come when we can lab him in the live game.

was playing @Hot Rod Dave yesterday with groh and he kept punishing my stances. i forgot to ask him, but im not sure if he was punishing the attack that lead into the stance or if he was doing it reaction.

was playing @Hot Rod Dave yesterday with groh and he kept punishing my stances. i forgot to ask him, but im not sure if he was punishing the attack that lead into the stance or if he was doing it reaction.

All stance transitions are pretty much unsafe on block or at least negative on block. In some cases, it's possible to use AVN BB to beat out punishment attempts, but it's going to be character dependent.

That said, you can still step immediately after a blocked stance transition to avoid some major punishers like Sophitia's 236B.

@CappuccinoJak

It was more or less experimentation for me. Been trying to figure out what leads to stance transitions with groh and seeing if maxis 6A+B would interupt. So far (thanks to you) punishment tests proved a success. Still a lot of work to do though.

Im finding Groh is a fairly vertical character. For the time being I find I can step his transitions with little threat of being punished. Being that he is new Im sure that theory will be out the window next week.

Groh’s fastest moves seem to be horizontal, his AA being one of his fastest and in general he has a lot of evasive attacks that naturally evade verticals like 66BB, 66AA, 4A, 4B. Amongst his fastest stuff, WS B, AVN BB and AVN K are all pretty fast. Groh’s more like Kilik in that he doesn’t have a signature punisher and relies more on predicting and punishing with the right moves.

Just watch your what your opponent does and. If you see a propensity for verticals, use those moves above.

Guys how Groh feels like?Is he decent enough because his gameplay looking not boring like some of the cast.

Guys how Groh feels like?Is he decent enough because his gameplay looking not boring like some of the cast.
He generally feels pretty good. Outside of soul charge he doesn't feel insane, but obviously with soul charge he's nuts imo.

Punishing is a bit weird since you don't get something like Sophi stabs. So you gotta settle on something weaker like 2A, but that's fine.

He generally feels pretty good. Outside of soul charge he doesn't feel insane, but obviously with soul charge he's nuts imo.

Punishing is a bit weird since you don't get something like Sophi stabs. So you gotta settle on something weaker like 2A, but that's fine.

Iconic punishers were more of a SCV thing and thankfully we’re not going back there again. That said, he’s got few good items he can work with for punishment like 4B and 22B.

Groh's 44K will lethal hit practically any whiffed move. The only issue is that the range of 44K and the fact that 44K has to hit before the recovery time of the move ends. In otherwords, it can whiff punish, but it still has to connect while the move is still animating.

This means you can whiff punish things like AA and BB, or 3B. Not just lows and hoppable mids.

Last edited:
Back