timing for just ukemi

tresto

[09] Warrior
Hi,

This thread is about just ukemi on 2KB.
I believe that being able to JU is one of the keys to beating Mitsu. (along with good knowledge of tech traps and how to break some setups...)
I've been training on this, and not getting any results.

I can't do it ! It's not like I can do it sometimes and I need more practise to be consistent.
It's I just can't grasp the timing.

I know it's just before the B of 2KB hits. But when (1 out of 50 ...) I pull it out I don't know what was the difference between success and failure.

I use two G buttons and slide them (I play on stick)

Any pointers ? Visual cues you use ?
Help would be much appreciated.

(BTW I did my homework with search function and found nothing relevant on how to time just ukemi)

OK so I have to hit guard after 2K, precisely when Mitsu's sword is at 10 o'clock (that's if he's on 2p side).
The timing is very tight, and using several guard buttons doesn't seem to make a difference.

This is my button config :

Code:
A    B    K
G   A+G  B+G

And what I do is "piano" on the three buttons of the lower part.
But it doesn't seem to get better results than just pressing G.

Any pointers to doing this easily ?
I'm at about 30-35% success up to now

There is a number of ways to do it.

Timing for JU
The timing for JU is very strict (basically 1 frame), where input is made aproximately at the same time as impact of B.

Common mistakes:
Practicing 2KB JU a lot will/may lead you to create a certain timing based off 2KB animation start. That will be hampering your overall JU ratio in-game, b/c your reaction to 2KB in-game will basically be much later than in practice mode.

Visual clues:
There are different visual clues you may use, I dont know which of those will fit you better.
1) Right before the blade touches your head * This is a common trick in sychronizing your timings with actual impact frame. Since your reaction is slightly behind the animation, you will generally try to input stuff "by feel". I dont know why, but most people's "feel" is still lagging behind the actual impact. Thus trying to input in advance will provide better results.

2) Sword hilt coming down. * While performing the B-part of 2KB pay attention not to the sword but to the hilt. when you "feel" hilt is going to get in the lowest position hit your ukemi. worked the best for me, but eventually i react to the blade now (1)

Utilizing negative edge:
I used to practice JU with the following technics without using the negative edge (tapping single G) and achieved an above 50% ratio in game (10 times in a row in practice mode were quite achievable in 5 to 10 minutes). Now, using a second bind (i put G on l2) and quick tapping G and L2 I get JU over 90%(!!!) in game. But there is something you should be aware of yet - most people sync between button presses is WAY OFF. I learned it the hard way while playing tekken. SC has always been kind to players with stuff like 1fs, but in tekken I realized I miss sync timing a lot.
! this becomes even worse if you are trying to sync inputs between left and right hand (i.e using right hand to press L1 and left hand to press r1) ! , so what you want to do is spend some time trying to sync your timings and improve finger coordination. One way to do it I can think of is Mitsu A+B+K aGI , I dont know if CF will work though! (CF seems quite undemanding to strict timings) try using different binds like L1 A, R2 B, and normal K and G to check if you have problems with synchronizing your inputs.

Good luck!

Back