Tips to improve as Ivy?

ShredApart

[08] Mercenary
Hi ive been playing as Ivy since I started playing SCV and ive really taken a liking to the character. I have been having some trouble progressing recently. A lot of characters have been punishing some of my more powerful moves and locking me into long combos. I am of what I think is average skill, and I haven't been in any tournaments yet but i definitely plan to. Any tips for a aspiring Ivy player?

First of all, I love your avatar. For obvious reason.

Second of all, glad to help. It would really be beneficial if you could post a gameplay video up -- that way, we could all really critique your gameplay. That being said, going with what you posted --

• Basic, solid Ivy is less big damage, more poking. Ivy can be played EXTREMELY safe. Moves like 3K, 6B8K, BB, 2A and 4B are quick and really hard to punish. Her less safe, but still relatively safe options are 22B, A+BA and 2A+B. Use these moves in addition to throws to start opening up your opponent. You'll know when you've done this if the opponent starts ducking.
  • Once you have them ducking, abuse 22_88B BE, 1B BE, 3B, 2A+B, B+K and other really strong mids that lead to 70 damage or greater.
  • Defensively, don't be afraid to use 214B at disadvantage. You said that you had problems with people locking you in -- using 214B and 7B as 'panic' commands (to use when all else is failing) is a good first step to train yourself in using Ivy. Over time, you'll become more methodical about this, but its good to start getting acquainted with maximizing the advantages of these escape moves while minimizing the cons (bad block frames).
  • Lastly, throw. Whether CS, SS or normal throw, Ivy has one of the best grab ranges in the game. Use and abuse it. Use it in different situations to mix up your offense -- for instance, throw is a surprisingly good tool for her wakeup game.
Hope that helps.

First of all, I love your avatar. For obvious reason.

Second of all, glad to help. It would really be beneficial if you could post a gameplay video up -- that way, we could all really critique your gameplay. That being said, going with what you posted --

• Basic, solid Ivy is less big damage, more poking. Ivy can be played EXTREMELY safe. Moves like 3K, 6B8K, BB, 2A and 4B are quick and really hard to punish. Her less safe, but still relatively safe options are 22B, A+BA and 2A+B. Use these moves in addition to throws to start opening up your opponent. You'll know when you've done this if the opponent starts ducking.
  • Once you have them ducking, abuse 22_88B BE, 1B BE, 3B, 2A+B, B+K and other really strong mids that lead to 70 damage or greater.
  • Defensively, don't be afraid to use 214B at disadvantage. You said that you had problems with people locking you in -- using 214B and 7B as 'panic' commands (to use when all else is failing) is a good first step to train yourself in using Ivy. Over time, you'll become more methodical about this, but its good to start getting acquainted with maximizing the advantages of these escape moves while minimizing the cons (bad block frames).
  • Lastly, throw. Whether CS, SS or normal throw, Ivy has one of the best grab ranges in the game. Use and abuse it. Use it in different situations to mix up your offense -- for instance, throw is a surprisingly good tool for her wakeup game.
Hope that helps.
Thank you that was literally the most helpful thing ever also I will upload some game play soon but most of these moves I either didnt know were useful or was using them to little thanks again!

I love 4B lol. It has a pretty short range, and you should wait until you have an opening... but it can really poke people out of their combos and set you up for a grab (or a low sweep). I also like her generic 22_88A sidestep slash... and her vertical smackdown from 2A+B.

When someone is knocked prone on the ground, try following up with 214B. If they're quick, I think they can ukemi out of it... but it usually catches people (specially the ones that like to roll to the side).

You can also fake out some of her moves. I think it's A+B, where she twirls down for a low, then snakes up for a mid... If you hold A+B, she will cancel the move while ducking for the low. Then you can follow up with a grab, or one of her "while rising" moves.

It's hard to do... but when someone is in the air for whatever reason (Astaroth trying to slam his axe down on you, Tira trying to sawn dive kick you, etc), you can 6b9 air grab them. It's hard because you need to train yourself to be aware of the opportunity (as opposed to guarding or sidestepping it). Also, you might fudge 6b9 and take a hit.

I grew up there but I'm going to college now in Minnesota. I miss it, no mountains here. miss them hot summers and snow free winters.

my tip is use CS learn it it is her best throw, great range, power and only 1f slower than a normal, learn to buffer it and your ivy can be a tank

I wish I knew how to Calamity Symphony =( I do fine without it, but it's about the only move in the game I can't do. Just too many butons to push imo. I'll stick with her grab BE, I guess.

I wish I knew how to Calamity Symphony =( I do fine without it, but it's about the only move in the game I can't do. Just too many butons to push imo. I'll stick with her grab BE, I guess.
If you play on Ps3 controller put both thumbs on up and down, do it really fast then move thumbs to left and right and do that input. If your on 360 controller... idk haha, its hard to do for me too.

I can't do it either, I've just been doing alright,one of my fave tricksis I like to use A+B, followed by Serpent's venom :) Ken yo, Unare!

I can't do the iCS version but for the normal CS I recommend :2::8::2::3::6::9::8::7::4::6::6::6: if you are using the stick. I use this method for my fight stick and when messing around with a controller it feels pretty natural. (on a 360 pad btw, no idea how it works on a PS3 pad)

Back