tournament questions

twiggywales

[08] Mercenary
ok i got a few questions and wondering if you guys can give me the information required

i want to try and start a local (for now) area tournament as i live in wales in the uk and currently only really get to play online which is ok to a certain point but not really good when you want to actully test your skills with true offline play.

my questions are,

1) if i create a tournament do i need to get permission of namco or anyone to use there game in public?

2) how much time and money go in to the promotion and preperation of a tournament (as this will all be off my own back i cant really afford to pay massive amounts, time again i dont have a massive amount of but im willing to put as much as i have to in)

3) do i need namco's permision to use the SC artwork in a promtional form?

4) do people typically charge entrace fees and what are the rough amounts that people should be expecting/willing to pay?

5) if an entrance fee is applied how is the prize system calculated, should there be an alowance to cover costs (venue/refeshments etc)

6) how many entraints are needed to make a tournament a vaible option for a local area.

7) can a tournament creator enter his/her own tournament?

my idea was to try and speak to a local games retailer and ask them to host the tournament (provide part of their shop as a venue and provide the console,game and tv for play (most have the stuff there for this already to show case demos of games so it would only be a small change for them), preferably for little cost, as it will bring people in to there shop (tournament players and normal folks interested in watching). have some posters made up with the information about the tournament and ask local areas to dispaly this along with having a number to call (and possibly a refernce to a section on this site (if im alowed??)) hopefuly getting people interested, i was thinking of a fee to entrace of £5 with the prize being 1st=50% 2nd=25% 3rd=10% with the reminance going towards paying for the venue/setting up next one (no money would be taken by me)

or am i just being a bit silly here?

btw if there is anyone in or around the cardiff area that would be interested/would like to help then let me know it would be good to know im not the only one in wales looking for more than online play.

I'll try and help as best I can. I run monthly tournaments in the US.

1) No, you dont need Namco's permission as long as your not selling footage or broadcasting it on paid TV or something.

2) Largely depends on the method. Flyers in colleges and arcades help, internet advertising on popular message boards does as well. Generally speaking, the cost is minimal.

3) As long as it is not for profit, probably not.

4) In the US entry fee's run from 5$-20$ depending on the size and scope of said tournament.

5) typically the split is 70/20/10 or 60/30/10 to the top 3 placers. My tournaments are 12$, and 2 out of every 12 goes to the venue its hosted at.

6) I typically count 8 as the minimum point for a legit tournament for a small area. 16 is a good number to shoot for though.

7) Yes, as long as he is unbiased in bracket seeding and what have you. Typically, if a creator enters his own tournament, he has assistants help with things as to not give the impression of bias.

-Idle

You should also ask around those people who are most likely to attend, if possible, to see who people want to ban. The universally agreed characters are Bonus (Shura, Scherazade, etc.) and custom characters. There's debate on others, but the most popular targets for a ban are Algol and Yoda. You should also look at information from already announced tournaments and compare them to what you want to do.

Back