Tourney Status

ZER0

[13] Hero
Greetings fellow Soul Cali-bro's, allow me to introduce myself. I am ZER0...do you know why they call me ZER0? because I have no skill in this game Kappa.

Been playing the Soul Series ever since the beginning all the way to SCV.
2 years ago when SCV was released I dropped just about every fighting game I played and focused solely on SCV.
The journey from then up this current point, and continuing on, has had it's ups and downs, what epic journey doesn't? I've had the pleasure of being pitted against many players of all skill levels, people weaker than me, on the same level and those stronger than myself.

When someone believes another to be considered tourney level, which is flattering to just about anyone, hell people have thought even me to be this good. However I've always believed I'm nowhere near tourney level.
Playing against several players who actually do go to tournaments regularly, and seeing how I could go toe-to-toe with some of them and actually win while others easily pick me apart, now one could throw in the "it's online" argument, and I wouldn't disregard this in the slightest. Regardless I still know there's a HUGE gap I need to cover.

I've considered myself to be decent at best, nothing more than an online warrior who just sits down and casually plays video games online.
In light of this tournament coming up in roughly 2 weeks and hoping I'll be able to attend, I ask; At what point would someone be considered or recognised as a tournament level? is it the moment they attends tourney? is it due to them attending Majors? that fact they're able to contend with other tournament players?
What are your thoughts?

Low level play = not knowing concepts in fighting games
Mid level play = knowing what is happening but not exploiting it
High level play = PRETTY GOOD
Top level play = The ultimate winners that have shown they are better than most of the high level players

Tournament level play = You could be in a tournament, which includes anybody who has the time and the money to go to a tournament.

Tournament level, in the sense that they are using it, means that you are better than them and they think you win a lot. There's not really anything else to it. The low, mid, high, and top levels are relative to the game and other people though. This makes them better terms when describing someone's skill.

EDIT: There are also good tournament players and bad tournament players. They mainly have to do with how well you can handle your nerves and use nerves to your advantage. Also includes how fast you can get a read on someone and adapt with your adrenaline.

Low level play = not knowing concepts in fighting games
Mid level play = knowing what is happening but not exploiting it
High level play = PRETTY GOOD
Top level play = The ultimate winners that have shown they are better than most of the high level players

Tournament level play = You could be in a tournament, which includes anybody who has the time and the money to go to a tournament.

Tournament level, in the sense that they are using it, means that you are better than them and they think you win a lot. There's not really anything else to it. The low, mid, high, and top levels are relative to the game and other people though. This makes them better terms when describing someone's skill.

EDIT: There are also good tournament players and bad tournament players. They mainly have to do with how well you can handle your nerves and use nerves to your advantage. Also includes how fast you can get a read on someone and adapt with your adrenaline.

I cannot believe it's taken me this long to notice a reply on this thread...
anyway I after recent events, I now believe that being a tourney player and being at tourney level are 2 separate things (the context I use for Tourney level is the level of someone such as Xeph, Blueboy, OmegaDR...and VDW Kappa)
I've always considered myself mid-level at best as I still have much to learn...nerves and making reads are definitely things I need to work on
anyway thanks for your thoughts PW keep rockin' that Xiba bud

This what a tourney winner looks like.

MealyLikableAnemoneshrimp.gif

Back