Training tips for mastering JG option selects

SpaghettiViking

Blink Master
Having trouble with landing Just Guards?
Want to have low-risk opportunities to use a JG without standing there with your guard down?

Grab a stopwatch.

Press and release the start button as fast as you can, then press and hold the button immediately after.
What's your time? If you're quick, probably somewhere close to 0.1 seconds. If this is the case, you're in good shape.

What's all this have to do with JG option selects?
Well, thanks to the research of Noodalls,

http://8wayrun.com/threads/noodalls-investigates-jg-and-some-gi.10645/

we've discovered that the active window for JG is about 6 frames. SCV runs at 60 frames per second, making 6 frames the equivalent of one tenth of a second. Any time you attempt a JG and return to holding guard before or after the 6 frame window, you are either damaging your chances of landing a JG, or unnecessarily leaving yourself open for one or more frames if the JG is unsuccessful.

If you can master the timing on the stopwatch by making the timer go up in increments of 0.1 sec (or as close to it as humanly reasonable), it is simply a matter of applying the exact same timing to your guard button for maximum-safety Just Guards.

There are some faults with this method, however. If your opponent uses a string attack with very little time between hits, such as BB or AA, it becomes nearly impossible to "confirm" the JG in time to catch the second strike. That being said, using the option select method, you will still be safe from the second attack, but unable to punish it (most likely).

If your opponent uses a single poke, however, you typically have enough time to confirm the JG, drop the second guard press and begin an appropriate punish.

Spend some time practicing to get this technique down and you'll be just guarding with the best of 'em in no time!

There's my boy handling his business!

I'm still struggling with JGing some characters strings so this will help. Great idea!

Could someone please show me a guide or description of how to even execute a JG? Everything I've read is foggy and hard to understand. Same with GI, I just don't understand it. And now i'm getting to that point where i'm seeing lots of people hit JG's on lots of my common combos. It's aggravating :(

Could someone please show me a guide or description of how to even execute a JG? Everything I've read is foggy and hard to understand. Same with GI, I just don't understand it. And now i'm getting to that point where i'm seeing lots of people hit JG's on lots of my common combos. It's aggravating :(

Here is a way just to understand how to do JG. In training mode, have Astaroth do 22B. You can just guard this one easily on reaction. If you need a visual cue you should tap G when his weapon hits the ground.

I'd also recommend JGing the last hit of Hilde's C3 A to learn about JGing the last hit in strings.

Those helped me a lot with just learning JG timing and execution. You should be using these in fights as well.

Here is a way just to understand how to do JG. In training mode, have Astaroth do 22B. You can just guard this one easily on reaction. If you need a visual cue you should tap G when his weapon hits the ground.

I'd also recommend JGing the last hit of Hilde's C3 A to learn about JGing the last hit in strings.

Those helped me a lot with just learning JG timing and execution. You should be using these in fights as well.

If you were here right now, I would share my taco bell with you. This was extremely helpful. Thank you.

Back