Underrated moves

Ooofmatic

World Warrior
I want this thread to give players a new perspective on "shitty" or not often used moves. Some of us might think something is useless while another finds something neat or useful about it. So post moves that you don't use much, or think that others don't use much, but have a good place in a fight.

I'll start with 3 moves that I hardly use but am trying to put into my game:

1A: This move is actually pretty decent, it does really good damage for a low and people won't normally see it coming. But the only thing about this move is that you should ONLY do it if your back is to a wall or the edge. Otherwise it will most likely whiff. It works especially well with your back to the edge since the opponent will fear one of Vader's strong back-ringout mids (3B & 3A+B) and most likely won't want to block low.

22_88A+K: I hardly ever use this move, but it seems to be an ok left/right ringout, and it seems to evade pretty well too. I keep forgetting about it when I play so I'll need to play with it more before further commenting on it.

236A+B: Another move I keep forgetting that he has. Seems like a good long range move, and is probably good for stopping Algol bubble shield too. Also seems to do decent soul gauge damage if you hold it for max/near max force gauge. Rings out front as well.

Under-rated moves

I want this thread to give players a new perspective on "shitty" or not often used moves. Some of us might think something is useless while another finds something neat or useful about it. So post moves that you don't use much, or think that others don't use much, but have a good place in a fight.

I'll start with 3 moves that I hardly use but am trying to put into my game:

1A: This move is actually pretty decent, it does really good damage for a low and people won't normally see it coming. But the only thing about this move is that you should ONLY do it if your back is to a wall or the edge. Otherwise it will most likely whiff. It works especially well with your back to the edge since the opponent will fear one of Vader's strong back-ringout mids (3B & 3A+B) and most likely won't want to block low.

22_88A+K: I hardly ever use this move, but it seems to be an ok left/right ringout, and it seems to evade pretty well too. I keep forgetting about it when I play so I'll need to play with it more before further commenting on it.

236A+B: Another move I keep forgetting that he has. Seems like a good long range move, and is probably good for stopping Algol bubble shield too. Also seems to do decent soul gauge damage if you hold it for max/near max force gauge. Rings out front as well.

I use all 3 of these fairly consistently.

2A, it's not that bad, seriously...

Under-rated moves

Two moves that I've really began using often, that I don't normally see Vader players do are 66bG~A+B~G and 22_88bG~A+B~G.

It's +5 on block and is great for a throw or ringout setup. Lots of potential with these two moves, especially the 66bG one.

I've began using 22_88A+K a bit more, but I'm still not finding it too useful, mainly because of how much force it takes. I might just only save it for side ring outs, or final hit kill now. Same with 236A+B, I've used it some more and it rings out forward pretty far.

I don't see much point in using 2A...

Under-rated moves

Two moves that I've really began using often, that I don't normally see Vader players do are 66bG~A+B~G and 22_88bG~A+B~G.

It's +5 on block and is great for a throw or ringout setup. Lots of potential with these two moves, especially the 66bG one.

I've began using 22_88A+K a bit more, but I'm still not finding it too useful, mainly because of how much force it takes. I might just only save it for side ring outs, or final hit kill now. Same with 236A+B, I've used it some more and it rings out forward pretty far.

I don't see much point in using 2A...

dude, the A+B and 1A+B cancels are crucial,you can play great mind games with it (I usually throw, or hit them with a few 1B:A's)

also, 6B:bG...A+B:G, etc, I find it a bit more useful than just 66bG, etc

I also force parry heavily, the B option is great for ring outs when your opponents back is to the edge, or just for setting up some distance, and the A option (which I believe uses more force) stuns

Under-rated moves

Yeah, I was kind of late in realizing how good his force cancels were, but I guess it's because I've never seen a Darth Vader player that used them.

The force cancels that I'm using most are from his 66bG and ws aG. I actually find his 66bG more useful than his 6BbG because of the range. His force cancels are also great setups for a 4B ringout.

Under-rated moves

I was using Vader against voldo a week or so ago, and he did MC charge at me. . I randomly threw 1A out and it beat it clean. just seemed funny to me.

i <3 44K. . .just so awesome. . .if it wasn't the easiest thing to GI evar

Under-rated moves

Yeah, I was kind of late in realizing how good his force cancels were, but I guess it's because I've never seen a Darth Vader player that used them.

The force cancels that I'm using most are from his 66bG and ws aG. I actually find his 66bG more useful than his 6BbG because of the range. His force cancels are also great setups for a 4B ringout.

some aren't so bad for cheap + on block too like the 6bG one. 44B cancel gives you better combo options on hit and parity on block which is nice.

Under-rated moves

RiBu: any time voldo enters MC and is mobile(or right in front of you trying to roll over you) 1b will ALWAYS trump any of its options..even if he is just sitting there in MC...as long as your not sitting there pickin' yur nose, you will always get a free 1b on hit..but i do find it better when voldo is directly in perfect 1b range, and from that i always get CH's yielded to me whenever the voldo player is moving at all in MC.. whether its MC feet towards crawl or MC claw towards crawl..i make the local voldo around here wish he never EVER enters MC when i use vader, lol...and for good measure if he is like half/mid way across the screen in MC..just 4a+b him outta that ish and gain some free + advantage!!

...and for characters with evasive stances/offensive stances/charge moves(depending on your range) mixing 1b/4a+b works like a charm, just dont throw it out there whenever though, you'll get fuked!

sorry if this seems kinda scrubby, i am still fairly new to vader and i usually get lots of practice against voldo in general, so i have gotten very comfy against voldo and those particular evasive/offensive/charge move match-up characters.

1b=extremely underrated + extremely useful in many(but certain) situations.

Under-rated moves

1b=extremely underrated + extremely useful in many(but certain) situations.
Extremely underrated? What? lol

Every Vader that I've seen uses 1B. It's his most important move. I wouldn't consider it underrated at all. :p

Suirad: I'm curious as to what the better combo options from 44B~A+B~G are. Unless I missed a better combo posted somewhere around here it seemed to me that you can do the same followups as without force canceling.

Under-rated moves

Extremely underrated? What? lol

Every Vader that I've seen uses 1B. It's his most important move. I wouldn't consider it underrated at all. :p

Ok well, around here it gets blocked and punished OOF, i say its underrated because it is bad/great at the same time, the vader's you must be watching/playing must be online players then if anything, because the shit isn't safe and unless it hits its no good... now if it doesn't hit what good is it then?..well as I said, it has match-up advantages such as characters with evasive stances/offensive stances/charge moves(depending on your range) mixing 1b/4a+b works like a charm, just don't throw it out there whenever though, you'll get fuked!

do you really disagree with this?... if so please elaborate.

Under-rated moves

1B is the shit. . cause outside of it he has. . K up close. . lool

Under-rated moves

JustKill, 1B is -13 on block, so I consider that pretty safe, and even if the opponent is Amy or Taki or something they won't try to consistently punish it because you could interrupt them with with 1BA, which is completely safe on block.

The only reason I can see you getting punished hard for using it is if you're only using 1BA and they're always ducking the second hit and punishing you. If that's the case then stop using 1BA so much and use more 1B on its own.

Under-rated moves

I see what your saying, but i don't really use 1b~a very often coz i know its duck-able and then punished(so bait them for the CH 1b and then follow up with the a on reaction),..so most of the time they either duck the (a) from 1b~a, or they block the 1b and punish it from there and try to work in on him,( of course only if they have blocked it hehehe) yeah its fairly safe on block, not a ton of stuff they can really do, i think the most many can do is (a) slashes to punish and a throw attempt, so i have a quite few "variants" that i insert there to shake up the game a bit, ( needed if they just stand there all day and block the 1b, lol) which are i think just a tad safer than 1b... just that they are a bit slower.

Under-rated moves

2A is underrated it's slow but when your in someones face they don't block it because they never see vader use it. It usually opens people up and from what I've experienced its great to follow it up with 1ba.

Under-rated moves

my only use for 2A is for end-of-round mixups with B... they have similar windups, it's hard to differentiate between the two.

Under-rated moves

hmm, you're right, I hardly ever use that move but whenever I do the opponent always gets hit by it. Seems like a good last hit kill move.

1k is pretty underrated its hardly ever used good way to finish a match as no one ever see's it coming.

Going low with Vader period is almost a win because of the 1b being a fast mid i think. That keeps people from random duckin when rushed so it leaves them open to his lows. The people i play know Vaders moves... ALOT lol. So i found out that picking at people with his lows just makes them fall into other attacks. So i think.
Something thats good to mix in sometimes is his force back throw after pickup. I like to use this as a mixup. If you force throw them, back turned B... that gives you 3 things to do. You can grab them(thats what i try first) if they duck then 44B is a nice launcher (i19 i think), or for those nasty back turn moves like Zas or Ast which is faster than grabs then you can just a+b GI- 1ba them one or two times and that sh*t will stop lol. Then i go back to throws or 44B.
These are a few things i try and use that i think is good sometimes. 8WR A+B(it stuns on hit or pushback on block...nice), WRb+k instead of just WRb because it stuns, and doing his tech traps on people more, and 11B gives a nice amount of force gauge back and it breaks in 8 so i throw that in to on wakeups. Thats a lil of things to do with him i think.
I do agree with Oof about Vaders 1b(I like it alot) but i see what JustKill means. If you play a good Ast for example, and he blocks 1b, then he can start his fu*kin knee attack and TC first be4 the A in 1BA hits. And if you dont do the A in 1BA you still get knocked to the grown and punished!!!! I hate that fu*kin knee!!! Ok sorry i had a few flashbacks just then. I someone wanna know some good combos i dont see much of at all then let me know. I can try and post some more vids up also.

*Coughs* 22_88K *end cough*, i think its a really good move, good for ringouts and knockbacks, but i still havent found a combo that i can use it with, except B,B which is easily shakable....

TadeMasu...

If your looking for combos for Vader it would be wise to check out the "DARK SIDE OF THE COMBO" thread ..please take your time and read through it to find what you are looking for, you'll find everything combo related for Vader in it....

OOFMATIC has also taken the liberty of creating a combo guide in the WIKI section of the website which you can also find some Vader combo gems!

as far as 22_88k goes..not so underrated at all..its a bread and butter wake up tool which can be exchanged with 11_77k on wake up..just about the same speed except one is mid and one is low.

Back