Wanted:

Dab_Of_Oppo

Gentlemen of the Road
VASH THE STAMPEDE
$$60,000,000,000
Not really, but I am looking for a copy of Windows XP or Windows 7 for my new netbook. Also, any form of MS Office would suffice.​

For a netbook, esp. if it's using a "Atom" series processor, you may want to consider Linux. It works just as good (actually better) than Windows, with less bloat - so your netbook will seem faster. You can download a free (widely used, very good) distribution of Linux called Ubuntu here: http://www.ubuntu.com/

Linux has a user interface much like Windows, so you'll understand it quickly - and all your favorite things like Facebook (obviously, just a webpage) and applications like Google Chrome, etc. all work for Linux.

For an Office productivity suite, don't waste good money on Microsoft Office. "Open Office" works just as good (again, if not better), and is compatible with all document types (and feels like Word, Excel, etc.) Don't give Bill Gates your money just to make a document! However, due to some legal push around, Open Office team is now known as Libre Office. Tag it here: http://www.libreoffice.org/ Also free.

For a netbook, esp. if it's using a "Atom" series processor, you may want to consider Linux. It works just as good (actually better) than Windows, with less bloat - so your netbook will seem faster. You can download a free (widely used, very good) distribution of Linux called Ubuntu here: lso free.

Oh, my other netbook and our server here at home both run Linux. I swear by Ubuntu, parental units pushing Windows because it will be more compatible with school, to which I said bollocks but they insist.

May just keep the check and throw Ubuntu on anyways.

Oh, my other netbook and our server here at home both run Linux. I swear by Ubuntu, parental units pushing Windows because it will be more compatible with school, to which I said bollocks but they insist.

May just keep the check and throw Ubuntu on anyways.
You may be able to find some Window's OS's on Pirate Bay. You could dual-boot if you want to keep Ubuntu. Ubuntu's new LTS is supported for five years and comes out toward the end of April. Till then Ubuntu 11.10 is stable. You can run a virtual machine or emulator like "Wine" or "Vitual Box OSE" in Ubuntu for when you need access to the monopolistic stuff. Some people run Mac and Windows in Ubuntu. That's only if you're parents wouldn't have a problem using a virtual environment.

Back