Was all these possible JG maneuvers intentional?

Do you want these mechanics to return in sc6?

• remove them all, its dumb how you can get out of guaranteed damage!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dont give a fuck, i cant do them anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AndyrooSC

IVE WAITED FOR THIS!!!
JG sure is good. Other than JG'ing on reaction and option select JGing there is as you should know by now alot of other maneuvers you can do with JG.

These are - Whiffed GI into JG, ZWEI, Viola and Algol being able to JG a GI, Just Ukemi Guard, redJG, and autoJG(after JGing when a low and a high would hit at the same time).

pretty much all of these require a sold timing to perform but defo possible and can basically save you from death, question is was these mechanics intentionally put into SC5 or a missed out bug which was ment to of been patched out?

I mean in SC4 you had Just inpact and Just Ukemi but they dont give you the reward JUG does, and look at poor Aeons CE pretty sure that wasnt intentional how you can JUG out of it and get a whatever the fuck you want JG punish ON HIT.

none of these mechanics are mentioned in SC5 we had to discover them ourselves.

My opinion - keep JG as it is maybe in the next game have a few more pokes which are safe on JG. Make it you can only JUG if the combo will kill. remove the aJG i do think for sure this one wasnt intentional. keep the rest.

The question beckons.. would you want these to return in SC6? or nerfed?

Last edited:
I feel like if the CPU ever used it then it's intentional (red JG, ukemi JG). Never seen GI JGs (both the Viola/ZWEI/Algol type nor the standard type).

Note on terminology: I say “GI JG” to refer to JGing during a GI, JG GI to refer to JGing a GI, and GI Joe to refer to Hasbro’s line of action figures.

I like UJG. Most tech traps aren’t guaranteed, but a small contingent of tech trap moves also hit grounded, making them “guaranteed.” UJG fixed this and added an element of uncertainty to what would otherwise be more boring bread and butter combos.

I like GI JG because it isn’t just a case of JG breaking some otherwise universal rule; it has an associated meter cost to it which cannot be bypassed and isn’t simply an execution “cost.” This also addresses my concern that it's a bit too damn easy to pull off — I go for it pretty often just for shits and giggles, only to actually get the JG on the CE. Against non-CEs it’s more difficult, which I like.

The other bugs mentioned are only very narrowly applicable in comparison, and I think it goes against JG's nature as the great equalizing tool for it to have such disparate effects. Stored Auto-JG is essentially “Fuck Xiba’s kB: The Glitch,” and JG GI is yet another instance of Viola’s mechanics (and ZWEI’s, but nobody cares about him) interacting badly with the game and creating stupid edge cases in what are otherwise universal rules.

I’m not against exceptions to rules — I think the “miracle plays” they enable add quite a bit to the meta, not to mention the hype they generate when pulled off in tournaments. But being restricted to use by or against only a handful of characters merely reduces the chance of these great moments happening, and they just feel like jank when they do. Even though Siegfried’s whiffs are mostly predictable, nobody is going to cheer someone for winning after being saved by a “random” whiff, and the principle is the same for bugs like JG GI and autoJG.

Someone noted a while back that of all the SC games, SC4 was ironically the only one whose GI mechanics worked as intended. That said, I think UJG works better than just Ukemi and JG with GI JG works better than GI with JGI did.

Back