We Need a Button Check in the Character Select Screen

MichaelJackson

[14] Master
So, this is a must have feature in fighting games today that is not in SC6? Have they said this was in the works for a later build or anything?

I am not worried about characters being in/not being in.
I am not worried about the CaS/Story modes/Single player modes.
I am not worried about online playability because the Tekken 7 netcode is (now) freaking awesome.

I AM worried about no button check in the character select screen.

Tekken 7 has this feature and it is perfection. I am especially fond of the "Check Button Input" area where you can... check your button inputs.

Tekken7ButtonCheck.jpg

What gives, Namco? Please tell me they've already addressed this and I just missed the news.

-edit

Changed title

Last edited:
Watching the tournaments this weekend (Summer Jam and PAX's mini tournies) reinforced the need for this feature.

Dead time between matches spent loading into a match just to check buttons and then exiting and re-entering the character select screen forced a lot of awkward small talk between the groups of commentators at both venues.

We need a button check in SCVI that has the same functionality of Tekken.

Hold up, someone just posted on Reddit that they had played the game at PAX and that they could button check at the char select screen,

CRISIS AVERTED. You may now return to your regularly scheduled shitposting.

i dont know what theyre saying, unless i was blind as hell, i couldnt do a button check there. i was also in the tournament, and someone did the button config while in a match between our player matches.

I wonder if we can check up with someone from the Melbourne open that had the leaked build and see if they were able to check buttons there. Does anyone know their 8WR name?

The PAX build was probably the E3 build which was at Summer Jam and you could definitely not set buttons on character select.

ANOTHER CONCERN: IN SC6, YOU CAN NOT ASSIGN THE SAME INPUT TO DIFFERENT BUTTONS. LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE GOING TO HATE THIS. IN SC1-5, FOR INSTANCE, YOU CAN ASSIGN 'G' TO MULTIPLE BUTTONS, NOT JUST ONE AS IN SC6.

SEE THE TEXT AT THE END OF THIS IMAGE:

Untitled.png

It was probably done to fuck over Hilde players holding A or B with the triggers while keeping the face buttons for other attacks.

Hilde DLC confirmed.

You are correct, this is to stop Hilde players from binding extra 'A' and 'B' buttons to use as "on deck" charges. This was a weird choice which caused them to double up on the anti Hilde button binding because they implemented a system side change in SC5 that prevented buttons being input and charged at the same time. Like, if you were holding down :A: and hit another :A: (bound to another button, but still holding down the first :A:) it would not register.

As a collateral effect of the multiple input lockout some Yoshi players were hit as well.

I knew a few Yoshi players that would, on an arcade stick, bind a few buttons to the Manji dick punch keys and slide across them quickly when they wanted to hit that button slide consistently.

Their sticks (with 6 buttons) were setup like:

:A: - :B: - :K:
:G: - :A: - :B:

And they'd just whip their finger across the bottom :A: and :B: to hit a consistent :a-small::B: slide.

I think on one of the Streams someone mentioned that JJJ* used to bind the :G: button in multiple places on his pad. Even more collateral damage from this restriction.

*I orignally said Boom, but Marginal fact checked me like we should be fact checking our gub'ment

Last edited:
IF SC5 PREVENTED "ON DECK" CHARGES WHILE STILL ALLOWING FOR ANY INPUT TO MULTIPLE BUTTONS, THEN THEY HAVE NO REASON TO CHANGE IT FOR SC6.

AGAIN, THE BUTTON CUSTOMIZATION FROM SC1-5 WAS GOOD BUT NOW IT'S JUST A BAD CHANGE.

EDIT: WOW, TEKKEN 7 IS DOING THIS AS WELL.

IF SC5 PREVENTED "ON DECK" CHARGES WHILE STILL ALLOWING FOR ANY INPUT TO MULTIPLE BUTTONS, THEN THEY HAVE NO REASON TO CHANGE IT FOR SC6.

AGAIN, THE BUTTON CUSTOMIZATION FROM SC1-5 WAS GOOD BUT NOW IT'S JUST A BAD CHANGE.

EDIT: WOW, TEKKEN 7 IS DOING THIS AS WELL.

Yeah part of me feels like this change was brought around in Tekken 7 (and here) because of the possible controllers that can be used in the PC version. The game could probably tell if it was something common like an Xbox or PS4 pad, but if its a generic controller, it may be a little trickier to display the old button config menu.

It could be that they didn't want to tackle that problem and instead went for an easier route that would work for all controllers.

On the bright side, Tekken 7 has button config on character select screen, so hopefully PS takes that too.

Definitely nothing to do with Hilde, since they already fixed that in 5 by locking out the same button from being pressed twice. This is probably because Tekken 7 did it and they're running on the same engine so it was easier to bring that over. This is really stupid and arbitrarily screws over certain players who have been using the same binds for years.

HOW IS IT POSSIBLY AN IMPROVEMENT? REMOVING OPTIONS FOR PLAYERS IS NOT ENHANCING ANYTHING.
Why are you shouting?

Anyway, the new method is faster. I like that it'll save me time and allow tournaments to run quicker. (Of course, this will be undone if there's no button change option at the select screen, but still.)

If anyone is near one of the locations that is demoing the newest build, can they confirm/deny the existence of a button check on the character select screen?

Back