Which HDTV should I get?

There should be no ways for the human eye to discern between 4 and 5ms response times. In fact, anything under 15ms should be more than enough for gameplay feature as that will update at 60 frames per second, which is what games run at. I know my LCD HDTV has 12ms response time and input (output?) lag is not discernible at all.

So it all comes down to personal preferences for you now. I'd go with the 1.5k one because I'm cheap like that tho.

Its not the answer you want but personally if i was goign to spend thatmuch on a TV i'd save my pennies untill 2010 for the OLED TV's, ontrast ratio of 1,000,000:1 = win.

My personal general rule is that anyhitng samsung is good as far as LCD's go.

If you have the money to get the more expensive one, you should just do it. The 4 ms response time won't make that big a difference if the other one is 5ms. I'm not sure about contrast ration. A local electronics dealer had a paper up by their tv's noting that contrast ratio is one of the last things you want to look for in a tv. Not sure if it was legit, or bs. But 120 Hz, man. I see those at best buy and it's silky smooth. I'd love that for my movies and tv viewing, which actually gets more time than my gaming these days.

I got the LN40A550 as a desktop monitor / Xbox TV. It is BADASS. That one has slightly more features, so either one would be a SOLID purchase.

Ruko... OLED TVs wont be coming for a LONG TIME. The technology may be ready in 2010, but they will be so ungodly expensive that it wont be markettable.

If you can, get an LCoS television. Its what I use and you can ask anyone who goes to my tournaments on how good they are.

My mom actually just bought the 2nd one. It looked fine when I played DOA4 and Halo 3 with HDMI not that it makes too much of a difference on the 360 am no TV expert though.

Ruko... OLED TVs wont be coming for a LONG TIME. The technology may be ready in 2010, but they will be so ungodly expensive that it wont be markettable.

If you can, get an LCoS television. Its what I use and you can ask anyone who goes to my tournaments on how good they are.
Yeah your probably right. I'm still hoping for atleast prices that compete with the higher end plasma screens.

"LCoS" I'm personally not a fan of Projection and DLP screens regardless of how good they look.

LCoS is not DLP. it is a type of projection technology, but not the type of projector you are thinking. Its Rear Projection, not Front Projection. You get picture quality much higher than any LCD or Plasma technology available today; its comparable to almost CRT quality picture. Its also a lot cheaper than LCD and Plasma. The nature of the technology is also native at 1080p, so you wont get much lag while playing video games, while you will with LCD and Plasma.

It really only has 3 downsides. The footprint: while LCDs and Plasma televisions these days are about 3 inches thick, an LCOS television will be about 16 inches thick, due to it being a rear projection technology. Standard definition: the television is native at high definition, so when handling standard definition, it has to upscale, and the technology isn't good at it. Your PS3/360 games look gorgeous, but your PS2/Wii games will have a half second of streaking before the picture settles in.

And the biggest major downside... The bulb: LCoS telvisions use an expensive bulb that has a limited life. These bulbs are estimated to survive about 10,000 hours of use. The TV in my room, which is on about 16-24 hours a day, lasted about 18 months. The TV in my den, which doesnt get far as much use, is still running strong at almost 3 years. However, its not a hassle to replace, its just plug and play to replace the bulb. Get the extended warranty with 3 free replacements, and when that is gone, the bulbs are about $120 each.

I was actually thinking "Rear Projection", Sorry for asusming "Projection" coverd both types. It's dated technology and I do not buy into dated tech, Just a habit I've developed from building computers. That is why i said i dont like Projectors or DLP.

With that kind of thought... Plasma and LCD are are even more dated than LCoS. LCoS technology only began being marketted about 3 years ago with the release of Sony's SXRD line, and LCD/Plasma/DLP has been on the market for over a decade.

These are Sony's LCoS SXRD line... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SXRD
I have a KDS-50A2020... and I've seen so many other LCD TVs out there, and none of them compare.

Unfortunately, Sony stopped producing them... Because of the larger footprint over the wholey inferior LCD technology, Sony was having trouble selling them. The average person doesn't realise how superior Rear Projection technology was over LCD/Plasma. They hear the word "Projection" and they immediately think about those crappy Front Projectors. Front Projection =/= Rear Projection

get the samsung 950 series. 1,000,000:1 led backlighting. 120Hz refresh panel. its over 3,000 dollars though, but if your going to spend over 1,500 anyway whats the big deal.

I read a long article on SRK about a year ago that PS3/X360 games that run HD should work just fine on HDTV's, but after finally playing on a friend's HDTV I'm not so sure.

It's really hard to be sure of it as I tend to practice combos, just frames, and so on with my eyes closed to make sure I have them down. I can only say that SCIV and Tekken just felt different on his HDTV. Anyway, can PS3/X360 games lag just because of HDTV's?

Until someone points to an affordable HDTV ($700 at most) that doesn't lag then I'm sticking to my SDTV.

Unfortunately, Sony stopped producing them... Because of the larger footprint over the wholey inferior LCD technology, Sony was having trouble selling them. The average person doesn't realise how superior Rear Projection technology was over LCD/Plasma. They hear the word "Projection" and they immediately think about those crappy Front Projectors. Front Projection =/= Rear Projection
A lot of companies droped their LCoS lines. It would be Interesting to see it used in computer monitors, Since it is superior to both LCD and Plasma.

Until someone points to an affordable HDTV ($700 at most) that doesn't lag then I'm sticking to my SDTV.
Computer Monitor with VGA, DVI, HDMI and Component Inputs. No lag on HD games and offers analog connections for other stuff. If you get a A/V Reciver that has built in signal converting you could go with a monitor with just HDMI.

Thats basically what i do but i dont watch brodcast or cable TV.

Computer Monitor with VGA, DVI, HDMI and Component Inputs. No lag on HD games and offers analog connections for other stuff. If you get a A/V Reciver that has built in signal converting you could go with a monitor with just HDMI.

Depending on what TYPE of Computer monitor you buy. Check the link I posted above.

it doesn't matter what you buy as long as:

-it has 5ms or less reaction time
-it has preferably a seperate game mode
-you have tested your ps3 with the tv to check if frame-dependant games work for you without lag

and..lcd is better for gaming than plasma btw.

Does anyone know much about the Sony Bravia KDL-37L4000? I'm trying to Google it but the results aren't very conclusive.

Back