Which key layout for arcade sticks do you prefer, what fits best for Soul Calibur?

5H1N00B1

[01] Neophyte
Greetings,

I am thinking about buying an arcade stick, what are your preferences about the best possible way for the key layout on a fighting stick?

I recently bought a new arcade stick and am pretty happy with the Hori Real Arcade Pro N. It has a Noir layout which I find to be more ergonomic than the common Vewlix layout and makes a lot more sense for playing Tekken and SoulCalibur.

The key layout would depend on the game to but for SoulCalibur, I would set it like this:

PlayStation/Xbox
Square/X = Horizontal
Triangle/Y = Vertical
R1/RB = Kick
X/A = Guard

I might disable the other buttons just for a more authentic experience.

I'm also considering modding my arcade stick and switching to Sanwa parts since I'm more familiar with it. The Hori parts aren't bad but I usually prefer control and tactility over speed. The Hori Hayabusa parts are light and fast while Sanwa parts are "heavier".

I bought my arcade stick on a sale recently but if it wasn't then I would have went for the Hori Fighting Edge. I heard from a friend that the Qanba Obsidian is good and I was able to try out the Razer Panthera at the Razer Store but they didn't have an option for the Namco Noir layout and only have the Taito Vewlix layout. The Razer Panthera is very mod friendly but the panel could not be modded with ease. They use Sanwa parts but I would pick the panel layout over buttons in this case.

My recommendation is to get a quality fightstick. It makes the game feel more authentic and is definitely worth the money in the long run.

Thanks,

and what about the perfect fingering for fast maneuvres?
Isn't it better to put all commands (A,B,K,G) into the first row of keys, than to have for example the G-command on the first key of the second row, even if you use your thumb for that key?

Thanks,

and what about the perfect fingering for fast maneuvres?
Isn't it better to put all commands (A,B,K,G) into the first row of keys, than to have for example the G-command on the first key of the second row, even if you use your thumb for that key?
Not really. I just keep my fingers on the top row and use my thumb for the G button. It's the most natural way to hold my hand I've found. Not sure what extra special config I'd need for fast inputs since that arrangement accommodates them fine as it is.

Back