Wifi Problems

Death_Emperor_X

[10] Knight
DEX is having a weird ass problem that just occurred today. Unfortunately my access point for wifi does not work anymore, but my Ethernet does. It started after I got done moving my shit around in my room. It was working fine before that, now it does not work at all, for both my laptop & PSVita. My wifi access point doesn't show up at all for my laptop, but shows for my Vita only. However, when running a test of my Vita, the IP Address fails.

I'm not really knowledgeable about wifi, but I tried rebooting, that didn't work, I tried googling, but I suck at finding direct answers. The company I'm using is CenturyLink. I'm left with not much of a clue of what to do.

Help DEX!

Someone else set up the wifi in your place?

The best thing you can do is stop using wifi and run a hardline.

... Really. Wireless sucks.

Customer service is gonna tell you to find the name/model number of your access point, and resetting it (usually pushing down a button with a pen or something) to factory defaults to reconfigure the whole thing. Brute force, but usually effective.

Does ANY SSID show up?
Yeah, just not mine for my laptop only. It may show for Vita but it can't connect, its got a big ass X on it.
Someone else set up the wifi in your place?

The best thing you can do is stop using wifi and run a hardline.

... Really. Wireless sucks.

Customer service is gonna tell you to find the name/model number of your access point, and resetting it (usually pushing down a button with a pen or something) to factory defaults to reconfigure the whole thing. Brute force, but usually effective.
I have portable devices that can't run hardwire, so that's a bit of an issue. I didn't buy all my portable shit (Especially my laptop & Vita) to sit in one area, lol. I'm on the go, laddie.

I just had my computer geek cousin try & fix my problem. Not even he could do it. If he can't do it, I don't think anyone else whose not an actual technician can. I guess DEX is left with his final move only. However, I would like to change this thread more into a Wifi talk for people to pass knowledge down for others like me to know more about wifi. I would give different types of suggestions, but like I said before, I'm quite clueless about wifi.

Not sure what the problem is but sounds like the radio just went dead. Ditch the router if it's old and get one of those new 802.11AC routers. It's backwards compatible with all the older standards and they operate on both 5Ghz channel (so less interference) alongside 2.4Ghz are super fast approaching gigabit speeds over air. With the "ac" standard, these routers can perform something called "beamforming" on 5Ghz channel (if supported) which is identify where your wireless devices are and concentrate the signal more towards that direction rather than just blanket transmitting everywhere.

I recently upgraded from an aging 802.11N D-Link "Gamefuel" router:

23m3jfc.jpg

to this Netgear 802.11AC1900 "Nighthawk" router:
29ndncw.jpg

Couldn't be much happier. No deadspots, super wide range covering the entire house and yard two SSID channels for 2.4ghz/5ghz + guest access. Lots of tweaks and settings, 2 USB 2.0 ports, 1 USB 3.0 port and 1Ghz dual core ARM processor which is unheard of in a router. Also does beamforming as I mentioned above but has something Netgear calls "Beamforming+" which can do this also on the standard 2.4Ghz channels alongside 5Ghz. Streams 1080P HD from home server at high bitrate no problems over the air to all our devices - phones, tablets, mobile game devices. House is already wired up with hard line gigabit but the Wi-Fi was getting old, interference and all.

Theoretical limits for wireless standards quote from speedguide.net:

802.11b - 11 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11a - 54 Mbps (5 GHz)
802.11g - 54 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11n - 600 Mbps (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) - 150Mbps typical for network adapters, 300Mbps, 450Mbps, and 600Mbps speeds when bonding channels with some routers
802.11ac - 1300 Mbps (5 GHz) - new standard that uses wider channels, QAM and spatial streams for higher throughput

Last edited:
Have you tried unplugging and replugging it?
Of course DEX did. He mentioned that in his first post. However, that didn't work. What I did was a little confusing but easy at the same time. I typed the IP Address into the site box or w/e which can be located on the bottom of the router or some where on your PC & when't from there. Next, I came across a point where I needed the router user name & password for that, which is both found on the bottom of the router. I got to the control settings & I found everything I needed. The SSID name, password, & a lot of other controls. Idk how the hell the password was named what it was, but it was retarded. The password was "WeDJK48hu3iRu2sA235" or some bullshit. Every things changed & all my shit works now. & here I thought I was had to make my final move. I'm surprisingly better then that.

Hi, I hope it is not really late for me to contribute something. I always encounter wifi problems and the things I usually do is to turn off my modem and then get it back after a few minutes and it did worked for me. However, you may try checking your wires and cables too because , it might be the other cause. If these things do not help you at all, I think that's the time you should seek the assistance of your internet provider:)

Back