Window of Frames after a Guard Burst(break guard)??

ka_kui

[10] Knight
well that....

how many frames you have after you break someone guard, until he can block again??

Somewhere in the vicinity of 30 frames I believe. Possibly more? I know it's definitely more than 24.

60 frames. The recovery of your move subtracts from this window though, so some slower-recovering moves will limit your followups.

i think you are wrong....can't be so many frames.....i tested with Algol's 22A to break the guard, that move leaves you in 0 frames on block....then i tryed to hit with 4[K] that is i38(impact in 38 frames) and the dummy blocked the move.....i will keep testing ;)

i think you are wrong....can't be so many frames.....i tested with Algol's 22A to break the guard, that move leaves you in 0 frames on block....then i tryed to hit with 4[K] that is i38(impact in 38 frames) and the dummy blocked the move.....i will keep testing ;)

No, he's right. When someone blocks a move like 22A, you both take some time you recover, you can't instantly act. You just happen to both recover at the same time with a move that is +0 on block. If it is 60 frames of guard break, then it could very well take say 23 frame to recover, which would put an i38 move impacting i61 frames afterwards.

Visually its like this: You input a move -> Move Startup Frames -> Moment of Impact (Guard burst begins here) -> Recovery frames -> Back to being able to do something again
Advantage on hit/block is the difference in the number of recovery frames between you and your opponent.

No, he's right. When someone blocks a move like 22A, you both take some time you recover, you can't instantly act. You just happen to both recover at the same time with a move that is +0 on block. If it is 60 frames of guard break, then it could very well take say 23 frame to recover, which would put an i38 move impacting i61 frames afterwards.

But then....where's recovery frame data??

Thanks for the correction Slade. I wasn't sure of my data but checked today and was coming back to make sure it was updated.

Basically assume it's your negative frames on block, plus a few frames for the "active" hit frames of the move. This doesn't apply to attacks with the Break Attack property, as they are obviously + frames on block, which doesn't mean they recover, well, before the recover. That's just silly.

Nobody has measured most of it, cause it mostly doesn't matter. The relative difference on hit/block is usually the only thing that matters. The recovery frames only really come up when you whiff an attack or when you guard burst someone. Guard bursting, there's a small set of moves that you want to break with and you can just figure out what the optimal guard burst combo for those are fairly quickly (try best combo starter, if its not fast enough, try a weaker one with a faster starter). Whiffing just generally leaves you wide open (provided your opponent is in a position to do something about it).

Doesn't exist.

Yup. Nobody has recorded it.

If we had recovery frame data I could whiff punish with confidence like having a block punishment list.
Damn it all.

Project Soul could solve all of this... I get resentful about this subject.

I suppose you could in theory use Just Guard frames to approximate whiff recovery...

Astaroth has it.

Just saying.

And if other people would work it out, we'd have JG frame data lists for all characters.

Just saying.

Standing B i21
2A i21

Standing B input on F0, input numbers below refer to when 2A is input

Normal block B then 2A ASAP
Input F34, hits F75

Too early post GC
Input F70, no result

ASAP
Input F71, hits F112

ALAP
Input F107, hits F128

Too late
Input F108, hits F129

Guard thingy hit freeze = 112 - 75 = 37F
i21+37F = F58
Last possible hit = F128.
Window = 70F?

http://www.mediafire.com/?kg06b1ye4794cnt

Feel free to analyse files by yourself and check my conclusions.

Back