wow, created characters allowed online :((((

gamer415

[08] Mercenary
so i played soul calibur online for the first time today and noticed something bothersome...created characters are allowed in online play! This is really saddening. Where is the fun in fighting characters you have no idea how to fight? I really hope they patch this, at least disallow created characters in ranked games. wow very dissapointing :(. And guys please tell me that there is a way to filter out created character matches

Hope this is a troll thread. There should be no reason you don't know how to fight a character simply based on the fact that they're custom. All custom characters use styles already in the game...if you can fight Nightmare, you can fight a custom character using NMs soul. Same goes with the rest of the cast. Custom characters do nothing to change the gameplay, save for slight (basically unnoticeable) stat changes. Unless I'm missing something here completely, in which case someone please enlighten me, my advice would be brush up your own skill and learn match-ups. Custom characters won't change anything besides the look.

Hope this is a troll thread. There should be no reason you don't know how to fight a character simply based on the fact that they're custom. All custom characters use styles already in the game...if you can fight Nightmare, you can fight a custom character using NMs soul. Same goes with the rest of the cast. Custom characters do nothing to change the gameplay, save for slight (basically unnoticeable) stat changes. Unless I'm missing something here completely, in which case someone please enlighten me, my advice would be brush up your own skill and learn match-ups. Custom characters won't change anything besides the look.

lol i didnt even know that. i got really worried haha

That.. actually isn't true.

Custom characters who aren't made with the characters default height and build change hitboxes and hurtboxes which do affect play. That's why CaS is banned in real tournaments.

Custom characters ought to be default disallowed in ranked matches (unless they conform to height/weight specs), but in terms of problems with ranked match, it's only one of many.

Now if you want to bitch about there not being a "No CaS" filter in room creation, now.. there is something to complain about.

I am very glad that custom characters are allowed online. Like Paradox said, they use the same styles as the regular chars! Personally, I dont even use default chars except when im testing one out to see if i will use them more often, in which case i make a custom version of them.

I dont know much about the height/weight specs, but aren't the various default characters different heights? And does the advantage of being tall come with a disadvantage, and small vice versa? So, is being tall powerful, whereas being small is fast?

CaS make it more interesting. :3

@ Above: Tall is reach, short is power. Basically, a short as shit Nightmare can do tyrano damage in theory.Haven't tried that myself.

I dont know much about the height/weight specs, but aren't the various default characters different heights? And does the advantage of being tall come with a disadvantage, and small vice versa? So, is being tall powerful, whereas being small is fast?

The issue isn't between characters, it's between height/reach/hitbox differences betweens styles.

An easy example might be a small Astaroth CaS custom. Still retains the throw range of Asta which is now phantom, and makes no visual sense... but on the other hand, loses the reach of the long attacks. It also has a smaller hitbox, so now punishes, pokes, and combos which work on Asta no longer work on the small CaS. How do you practice against that? Make 5 different versions of each character? No thanks.

I'm not advocating removing CaS from online- just from Ranked, because Ranked is supposedly supposed to be a skill test- i.e. who is the better player. Part of skill is learning matchups, and you can't learn matchups with variables like that in play. While ranked isn't perfect, it's all we have for online; so its competitive consistency should be encouraged.

But that would defeat the purpose of the madness of online. When your shit doesn't work when it's supposed to, hey you gotta take that randomness factor into account and adapt quickly.

I saw a CAS character yesterday with these huge drum like rings completely around him, using Maxi's style...you could barely see the nunchucks.

Now if you want to bitch about there not being a "No CaS" filter in room creation, now.. there is something to complain about.

Isn't there something you can do to force it to use the default model? I never figured out how to do it....

I saw a CAS character yesterday with these huge drum like rings completely around him, using Maxi's style...you could barely see the nunchucks.

Those drums are the worst thing ever. Ever.

I'd rather fight an army of d#$! girls and Bleach clones than one person with the stupid drums.

Those drums are the worst thing ever. Ever.

I'd rather fight an army of d#$! girls and Bleach clones than one person with the stupid drums.

With you on that buddy. Herp derp, you can't tell if i'm attacking or throwing and you probably can't see if it's a horizontal or vertical attack.

Because of slight differences in CAS's attributes doesn't seem like a good enough reason for me to think they should be filtered out or banned from tourneys. Oh, I forgot, when people fight their supposed to already know the opponents hit boxes, reach and speed or it's not fair. I know when I played baseball and the other team brought in a new pitcher I wouldn't bat until the pitcher threw enough practice throws for me to know his speed and style. You shouldn't have to compete with someone who is a slight variation of what you're used to. That's unfair :*(

That's totally not the same thing. :P

Unless you know pitcher's that sometimes replace their arms with cannons. Or have boxing matches with random substitution Doctor Octopus.

The CaS's in IV (especially the monstrosities made offline) had some really bizarre things going on. V might not quite be the same, but it's still different enough for "wtf" moments. Besides, do you want to know you won with your character or do you want to know you won or lost because your CaS is dumb?

I'd think I lost due to being unable to adapt to the battle at hand. And yeah, maybe it is replacing a pitchers arm with a cannon, but a cannon with less targeting than the arm. From what I understand you trade off attributes when you CAS. So, a CAS Viola may not have the exact attributes as the stock character. In good hands she'd beat you, in bad hands you'd beat her. I like not having to fight the same cookie-cutter characters all the time. If someone wants to sacrifice range for a few extra damage points I say bring it on!

The issue isn't just hitbox and reach info. You can very easily make a character where your clothing disguises what attacks you are doing. If it's possible to go to a tournament a character's moves are disguised, then it behooves any tournament player to use that style of costume. At that point, the entire games becomes even more of a coin-flip.

Funny thing I found out about a min height Sieg CaS is that 3B doesn't whiff as much. He gets an additional points of damage on all of his moves. The CE does exactly 100 damage with the shortest CaS. A Nighty CaS does 82 damage with a 3>NSS B:a. In combos the damage difference becomes much more noticeable. A short Sieg actually hurts lol. So even if it isn't about the hitboxes the CaS damage can become broken, I think they should be banned. Someone should test a min height CaS Asta damage. Lol

Damage alone doesn't make something broken, remember. If you get locked from using important combos, then it won't be worth it.

Damage alone doesn't make something broken, remember. If you get locked from using important combos, then it won't be worth it.
Problem is damage gets increase on everything, throws and pokes included. The damage increase also seems to be set per hit rather than scaling down as you combo. Plus everything else about hitboxes and swords going through heads.

Back