Your SoulCalibur Journey

Daveybird

[08] Mercenary
Hey, I thought I'd share how I started in the SoulCalibur series and where I am today.

December of 1999: It was Christmas. Since mid 1998, I was banned from fighting games. I was eight years old at the time. I got a Dreamcast for Christmas. My Dad rented a bunch of games, NFL 2K, NBA 2K, SoulCalibur 1, Virtua Fighter 3TB, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing. He said that I can play the fighting games for just the rental period. Then, I told my Mom on Christmas morning. She said, "no, you can't!" and her and Dad discussed it, and they decided that I wasn't allowed to play them for the rental period. Boy I was mad! I cried and threw things in my room. My Dad then told me about desensitization, especially since the Columbine shooting happened earlier that year. But I watched my Dad and my uncles play it, and I liked what I saw.

October of 2003: Earlier that year, my Mom said I wouldn't be allowed to get a Gamecube until I left the house. I was currently 12. Then, after my great uncle's funeral, my Mom took me to Walmart, and said, "how much does the Gamecube cost now?" I said, "$99." She said, "where are they?" I showed her, and she bought it for me with Super Smash Bros Melee. A few hours later, we got SoulCalibur 2 (I've been off fighting game restriction since December of 2002, when my Dad let me play Quake 3 Arena) and both NASCAR games from the time. I played the heck out of SoulCalibur 2, unlocking a bunch of stuff. I became fond of Lizardman, and he was so hard to unlock that I just used the Action Replay for him. My SSBM-enthusiast little cousin always chose Link, with the big steel hammer, and beat the crap out of me as Lizardman with him. Good times. This really set me up for Soulcalibur as one of my hobbies. I also started to want to learn more about the Renaissance, incidentally, since SoulCalibur takes place during that time, except for some CaS's we make, who can be from any era.

October of 2009: I bought an XBox 360 with SoulCalibur IV. I loved the graphics and stuff, and I could even strip Aeon of all his armor, and thus make him naked. Heck, earlier that year, when I was playing it at a local gaming center, I was telling a random woman next to me about how I liked doing that, and my Dad said the whole place heard me! I was like, "Oh crap!" My little sister and I created tons of characters, and even tried to make a machinima movie with them! There was one character we made, who kinda resembled Tekken's Kunimitsu in a leotard, who my sister swears by God she made and I stole from her. But I was confident I made her. Kitsune wars FTW!

September 2011: I got XBox Live, and played SCIV online.

2012: I got SoulCalibur V. I didn't like how the story mode didn't cover all the characters, and that you couldn't strip Aeon naked except for KO'ing him with a hard hit, making him unable to be naked in practice mode for machinimas, but I liked the more advanced CaS mode.

2014: I figured out placing special items in unique places to come up with even more animals. I actually like creating characters about as much as I do fighting!

2015: I'm probably still gonna continue playing SCV for a long time. Oh my God, imagine how in depth SoulCalibur VI is gonna be as far as CaS! I can't wait for that to happen! That's pretty much the only reason why I still play the SoulCalibur games. Not as much to offer as far as modes, as they used to, but they shine in the custimization department. Like...

What I do in NASCAR Heat for PC: Create and customize dirt cars and tracks for mods.

What I do in WWE Games: Create A Wrestler, Arena, Championship, Universe

What I do in Forza: Customize old muscle cars to look like Saturday Night Oval Short Track Stock Cars

What I do in Dirt Track Racing 2: Edit. Mod. Edit. Mod.

What I do in NCAA Football: Create and download my favorite High School and Small College teams.

What I do in Maximum Football (Indie PC American Football Game): Design players, faces, uniforms, leagues, stadiums, backgrounds

So, as you can tell, I'm all about that customization! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Daveybird, welcome to 8 Way Run!

This thread would be better suited for the New Player Arena, where I can see you've already introduced yourself.
If you want to keep this thread here however, we can open it up it to a general "What brought you to SC?" thread. This is because the Casual forum is for broader discussion of the series, whereas this thread is a bit specific to you.

I also removed any mention of hex editing, discussion of which is against the sites rules.
Also, if you love customisation so much, you should go introduce yourself over in the Create-A-Soul forum. They're a lovely bunch, mostly.

If you have any trouble here in the Casual section, feel free to PM myself or, if it's some issue in the CaS Forums, @brucege should see you right.

Have fun on the forums.

Last edited:
Hello Daveybird, welcome to 8 Way Run!

This thread would be better suited for the New Player Arena, where I can see you've already introduced yourself.
If you want to keep this thread here however, we can open it up it to a general "What brought you to SC?" thread. This is because the Casual forum is for broader discussion of the series, whereas this thread is a bit specific to you.

I also removed any mention of hex editing, discussion of which is against the sites rules.
Also, if you love customisation so much, you should go introduce yourself over in the Create-A-Soul forum. They're a lovely bunch, mostly.

If you have any trouble here in the Casual section, feel free to PM myself or, if it's some issue in the CaS Forums, @brucege should see you right.

Have fun on the forums.

Oh, sorry. I'm still new here! :) But I can't post most of my CaS's here, as they are hacked, which, imho makes them look better, but if it's against the rules, I won't show them here, and will find (or make) another place to showcase them.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry. I'm still new here! :) But I can't post most of my CaS's here, as they are hacked, which, imho makes them look better, but if it's against the rules, I won't show them here, and will find (or make) another place to showcase them.
Yup that's pretty much the gist of it.

[NOTICE] This is now a "What got you into Soulcalibur" thread.[/NOTICE]
What got you playing Soulcalibur in the first place, and why've you stuck with it?

I remember playing SE/SC in the arcades at my local bowling alley and Red Robin when I was a little kid, but I didn't really get into it until I tried out SCII at Wal-Mart and instantly got hooked. The rest is history, I got the new SC whenever I could.

Soul Edge was at the arcade in like 96 or 97 or something and I played it and it was pretty much the coolest thing i had ever done with my life at that point. I pretty much just didn't stop playing.

Hey, I thought I'd share how I started in the SoulCalibur series and where I am today.

December of 1999: It was Christmas. Since mid 1998, I was banned from fighting games. I was eight years old at the time. I got a Dreamcast for Christmas. My Dad rented a bunch of games, NFL 2K, NBA 2K, SoulCalibur 1, Virtua Fighter 3TB, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing. He said that I can play the fighting games for just the rental period. Then, I told my Mom on Christmas morning. She said, "no, you can't!" and her and Dad discussed it, and they decided that I wasn't allowed to play them for the rental period. Boy I was mad! I cried and threw things in my room. My Dad then told me about desensitization, especially since the Columbine shooting happened earlier that year. But I watched my Dad and my uncles play it, and I liked what I saw.

October of 2003: Earlier that year, my Mom said I wouldn't be allowed to get a Gamecube until I left the house. I was currently 12. Then, after my great uncle's funeral, my Mom took me to Walmart, and said, "how much does the Gamecube cost now?" I said, "$99." She said, "where are they?" I showed her, and she bought it for me with Super Smash Bros Melee. A few hours later, we got SoulCalibur 2 (I've been off fighting game restriction since December of 2002, when my Dad let me play Quake 3 Arena) and both NASCAR games from the time. I played the heck out of SoulCalibur 2, unlocking a bunch of stuff. I became fond of Lizardman, and he was so hard to unlock that I just used the Action Replay for him. My SSBM-enthusiast little cousin always chose Link, with the big steel hammer, and beat the crap out of me as Lizardman with him. Good times. This really set me up for Soulcalibur as one of my hobbies. I also started to want to learn more about the Renaissance, incidentally, since SoulCalibur takes place during that time, except for some CaS's we make, who can be from any era.

October of 2009: I bought an XBox 360 with SoulCalibur IV. I loved the graphics and stuff, and I could even strip Aeon of all his armor, and thus make him naked. Heck, earlier that year, when I was playing it at a local gaming center, I was telling a random woman next to me about how I liked doing that, and my Dad said the whole place heard me! I was like, "Oh crap!" My little sister and I created tons of characters, and even tried to make a machinima movie with them! There was one character we made, who kinda resembled Tekken's Kunimitsu in a leotard, who my sister swears by God she made and I stole from her. But I was confident I made her. Kitsune wars FTW!

September 2011: I got XBox Live, and played SCIV online.

2012: I got SoulCalibur V. I didn't like how the story mode didn't cover all the characters, and that you couldn't strip Aeon naked except for KO'ing him with a hard hit, making him unable to be naked in practice mode for machinimas, but I liked the more advanced CaS mode.

2014: I figured out placing special items in unique places to come up with even more animals. I actually like creating characters about as much as I do fighting!

2015: I'm probably still gonna continue playing SCV for a long time. Oh my God, imagine how in depth SoulCalibur VI is gonna be as far as CaS! I can't wait for that to happen! That's pretty much the only reason why I still play the SoulCalibur games. Not as much to offer as far as modes, as they used to, but they shine in the custimization department. Like...

What I do in NASCAR Heat for PC: Create and customize dirt cars and tracks for mods.

What I do in WWE Games: Create A Wrestler, Arena, Championship, Universe

What I do in Forza: Customize old muscle cars to look like Saturday Night Oval Short Track Stock Cars

What I do in Dirt Track Racing 2: Edit. Mod. Edit. Mod.

What I do in NCAA Football: Create and download my favorite High School and Small College teams.

What I do in Maximum Football (Indie PC American Football Game): Design players, faces, uniforms, leagues, stadiums, backgrounds

So, as you can tell, I'm all about that customization! :D
Welcome, Davey! You've got quite a fascinating history of gaming. Glad your meanderings somehow led you here to 8WR. And don't be givin' up on SCV CaS too quickly! This thread of CaS techniques will get you up to speed in no time:
http://8wayrun.com/threads/school-of-cas-advanced-cas-technique.18282/
Take a look around, and if you got design questions about specific creations, feel free to ask the OP or PM me. Best of luck, mate.

I remember playing SE/SC in the arcades at my local bowling alley and Red Robin when I was a little kid, but I didn't really get into it until I tried out SCII at Wal-Mart and instantly got hooked. The rest is history, I got the new SC whenever I could.
Lol, I played the SCII Demo for XBox and Gamecube at Walmart around that time, as Cassandra!

Haha I think my introduction to the series was thst SCII demo for Xbox too. I ended up getting it on Gamecube though. Link was awesome.

her and Dad discussed it, and they decided that I wasn't allowed to play them for the rental period. Boy I was mad! I cried and threw things in my room. My Dad then told me about desensitization, especially since the Columbine shooting happened earlier that year. But I watched my Dad and my uncles play it, and I liked what I saw.

Wow man, that's rough. I started playing Mortal Kombat when I was 14. My mom was cool. She understood that only a retard doesn't know the difference between a game and reality. And I'm happy to say I haven't blown up anyone's head or ripped anyone's spine out yet!

I dumped MK when 4 came out. It was the stupidest looking thing I had ever seen. Right about then was when SB was in arcades, so I moved on to that and it's been my favorite ever since.

No dates since I don't care. Funny thing about the SC games are I was always introduced to them via tournaments for the most part. (I can't remember another game I ever went to a tournament for except for VF4.)

Soul Edge popped up in arcades. The local Aladdin's Castle held a weirdo tournament where you'd come in and play like one match a week when you both happened to be there or something. I entered just because and it ended about like you'd expect. (Just kinda smothered itself due to inactivity.) Never especially liked the game since I was into VF and Xmen COTA at the time.

Soul Calibur - I never saw it in the arcades until after the DC version was already out. I imported the Japanese DC release right when it came out so I could write a preview for allgame.com and I basically played it enough to get some screen shots and test out all the modes. I dismissed it as a button masher and left it to collect dust.

Then a store in town hosted a tournament. I entered and went into the training mode to figure out who I wanted to use. I had started out with Mitsu and Hwang. I eventually opted for Maxi since he had some easy annoying lows and decent three hit strings that reminded me a lot of Jacky in Virtual Fighter 2. I managed to get 2nd place in that tournament. Only stopped by a Kilik player who side threw me for a RO.

That tournament showed me I had been too hasty in writing the game off, so I started looking up resources and ended up on SC.com. Where I found info on one frame shifts, rcc's and all that. It was an old threaded board and it was completely unmoderated and it was eventually was destroyed by one Australian kid. (Whine about moderation, I know what the other side of that coin looks like. You site getting wrecked by some dude named Adian.) I finally found some serious local players at that time and got to see some wild drunken gaming parties.

SC2, I imported as well to get a few months jump on the US release. I had been playing it some in the arcades, but I never really had any reliable competition. Got to play a few local tournaments where I got wrecked then I got wrecked in the SC2 Nationals qualifier, then went to a gathering in Tulsa where I got exactly nowhere. Actually won a local tournament about a year later IIRC.

SC3, I went to two tournaments I think. Only local play I got was one session against KenK (Now goes by @Playboy if he's even still on the site.). Played it quite a bit single player however as a means to keep my mind off the death of my grandfather on my mother's side. The arcade edition I never saw kind of killed my interest in trying to be competitive.

SCIV, I hit a few locals and played a lot online. Nothing exciting really and Maxi was poop in SCIV so it didn't really matter. I mainly just got tired of people telling me that Maxi was actually good, just that nobody had discovered the secret tech that'd make him competitive. He truly was the Zwei of that installment. Bad and nobody ever successfully mined his hidden riches because he didn't have them.

SCV brought Maxi back up to mid tier and I've been around the country a bit. Mainly to dazzle people with my aspect. Still don't place great but I'm doing far better than I used to.

Last edited:
Back