ZWEIs block punishment

AndyrooSC

IVE WAITED FOR THIS!!!
ZWEI may not be the strongest punishing character in the game but its very important to learn where you get free damage and take full advantage of it.

Lets go though ZWEI's fastest attacks with pros and cons.

i12
FC 2A :SL:
Pros: i12, +8 on hit.
Cons: only available from crouch, Short range, only 12 damage.

This is the fastest attack ZWEI has. This is used to punish blocked 2Ks and give you a +8 to work with.

i13
K :H:
Pros: i13, Decent range for a K.
Cons: only 14 damage, only +2 on hit.

This is the fastest attack ZWEI has from standing. Against certain character's attacks this is the only guaranteed damage punish he gets, Cervy/Leixia 3B for example.

Its worth noting sometimes the chip punish from K isnt always worth it because the frame advantage after is small so to make better use of that -13 you could go for a guard break attack like 214B or something faster like 66B.

i14
AA :H::H:
Pros: i14, +6 on hit, 26 damage.
Cons: High, short range.

ZWEIs AA is i14 and on the slower side of standard AAs. It's his go-to i14 punish when in range with 26 damage and +6 on hit. Examples of a punish include include Viola/Gloomy Tira 3B.

6B :H:
Pros: i14, +7 on hit, slightly longer reach than A.
Cons: High, low damage, just misses out on crucial punishes such as Omega DNSB.

This move is another option for a i14 punish. 6B has a bit more range over AA so it can hit a few extra moves and gives ZWEI an extra frame to work with at +7. Does do half the damage than AA so i'd recommend on those moves where AA would whiff.

i15
BB :M::M:
Pros: i15, Mid, 32 damage
Cons: ZWEI doesnt step in far enough causes second B to whiff often.

The second B has a issue of whiffing tip ranges so it's important to know where this is and go for something else instead. However against a wall and against a few moves the second B will hit aswell for a decent punish against Patroklos 3B and his 236A at 32 damage most he gets meterless till 3B.

4KB :H::M:
Pros: i15, 26 damage, causes a knockdown (important for ZWEI)
Cons: High startup, very short range.

ZWEI 4KB is quite forgetten as a punish it's his fastest move what knocks down, wherever this is guarnteed and you cant 3B or have meter for 4B i recommened this move. Getting the knockdown i find it better for ZWEI because they have to respect you rather than you leave them standing. Examples include Pyrrha 1K/Natsu 66K/Cervantes DC B.

i16
wrK :M:
Pros: +6 on hit and right in their face.
Cons: only 18 damage.

wrK is a decent FC punish being i16 and can be used on attacks what recover TC (because 4kB will whiff) and you want alittle more damage than FC 2A. This is gonna be your best punish on moves like Pat 11K/Mitsu 1A

i17
4B :M:
Pros: KND on hit, with meter starts comes damage, they're decent follow ups afterward.
Cons: Without meter only 12 damage.

4B BE > 66A+B gets you around 56 damage you can get abit more at the wall. Certainly one of the places you will want to use meter. If you are meterless however 4KB will still be the better option in terms of damage. Pyrrha's 236B and Patroklos 1K are examples of what you can punish.

i19
3B :M:
Pros: Launcher, Mid, combo starter.
Cons: Range is lacking, i19.

Launcher punish usually after a JG on Astaroths 66K BE or Voldo 66B BE for example. Go for more guaranteed damage or a set up.

A+B :M:
Pros: Good range, Mid, 40 damage KND , RO/W! potential.
Cons: not as damaging as a launcher, i19.

This is your standard punish on very unsafe moves when 3B doesnt reach. Blocked CEs are an example.

i23
66BA :M::H:
Pros: Good range, Mid startup, 56 damage KND, good oki options
Cons: i23

you will want to use 3B when you have meter but 66BA is a good meterless alternative on those more unsafe attacks such as Cervantes 1AB and Maxi LI A.

i25
W
RB :M:
Pros: Great damage
Cons: Slow i25, FC only

There are some very unsafe lows and high ending strings which you can punish heavily with WRB, scoring you a easy 81 damage and even more into the 100 damage range with meter. Some moves include Natsu 1A, Ezio 6K2, ducked Natsu 66B BE etc.

i31
66A+B :M::M:
Pros: Great range, Mid, combo starter, strongest meterless punish you can get.
Cons: i31

Rather specific punish but with lots of reward, Examples include Astaroth 22B on JG and Pat 66A BE on JG.

Last edited:
Didn't know that about 2A, though to be fair I don't JG both Bs often at all.
Good to see K getting some love though, it's really necessary in matchups like against Ivy, just so she can't do whatever at midscreen before you can reach her. Didn't realize it punished Lei/Cerv 3B though, that's sweet as hell.
Nice, descriptive list.

]Didn't know that about 2A, though to be fair I don't JG both Bs often at all.
[/quote]
Its possible to JG the second hit of BB on reaction after blocking the first hit, it takes practice and quick reactions in a fight but u can see it. Being able to do it means someone like Pyrrha can't spam her BB brainlessly and be safe, too bad with zwei the only garanteed punish you get is K(unless its lei or mitsu then 2A) but its still a momentum changer.

Back