A tale of souls and swords, eternally retold...

Back in my young days i used to read of lot of pulp comics, especially Conan and i was in awe before the inks and lineart of Steve Buscema or Ernie Chan...I already tried to draw Conan several times, but i just wanted to deliver a drawing i could write a novelette around if i wanted, with as much details as i could cram into an A4.
That and i changed drawing software and went for the excellent krita, which allowed me to go much further into details, special FX etc.
Considering the fact i am only using a mouse and a 15' monitor, i am pretty happy with how it came out...

From rough to finish...

Conan was also one of my early CAS, remember :

c1l38ikfh6ru1vwo0.jpg

Last edited:
I am still experimenting with Krita, and this is what i did of an old sketch of mine with the powerful brush and coloring tools and SFX.
Very Roger Rabbitesque i may say :)

Long time no Vil CAS see...well, i have been playing mortal kombat X and i am fond of one of the chara designs, the mayan god of sun/blood/ you name it...Khotal Khan.
Another addition to my mayan CASt i have been working on while the kids are away and i have access to a 360 again :)
I have been trying to go a slightly different route than Balam and Tupakan, experimenting new things...
Is pretty intimidating ingame, as intended and as the original :P

I ended up using Sieg style even though this weapon was kinda interesting as well...

How about some gameplay pics ?

And last but not least, my best shot of KK :

I really like those stickers on the face. Those curly tattoos make a world of difference. I see you used the feathers of strength for the chin guard like you did with Achilles Patroklos back in the day. Oh and I love the blue alien girl. That's how Tali should have looked.

I really like those stickers on the face. Those curly tattoos make a world of difference. I see you used the feathers of strength for the chin guard like you did with Achilles Patroklos back in the day. Oh and I love the blue alien girl. That's how Tali should have looked.

Thanks mate. Yup same trick for chin guard, well observed ! Wanna take a shower with Alienore then ? Cool :)

I did a few timelapse vids of my latest colored sketches.
Well, technically it is not timelapse at all, it is just me recording a few intermediary steps in the Krita tool (screen capture) to show how i proceeded from start to finish...The first one also shows a tribute to the artist i admired when i was a teen and litterally devoured the Conan pulp comics when i was on holidays...I just put those vids on youtube as a storage place for friends to go to, hence i disabled comments and ratings, so don't bother, just enjoy...
While the actual sketching process (without inking except for the first one) only took a couple of hours at most, the coloring took ages (probably 20 hours+ for the throne room Conan)

Toujours aussi doué , c'est a cause de personne comme toi que j'ai arreter de déssiner il y a quelques années lol . J'étais loin mais alors très loin d'avoir ce niveau, encore heureux que je n'ai pas garder mes dessins, j'aurais eu honte de les poster après ceux là xD

Merci du compliment ! Et désolé d'avoir brisé ta vocation :)
Je voulais te demander, je vois que tu joues énormément, que tu achètes plus ou moins tout ce qui passe (et peut être sur d'autres support que la xbox) et que tu es extrêmement performant dans la chasse au succès (j'ai été un peu accroc moi aussi, mais ça m'a passé !). Ce que je veux dire, c'est que fais tu dans la vie, tu es collégien, étudiant, tu es un rentier richissime, tu travailles dans un centre de desintoxication du jeu en tant qu'exemple à ne pas suivre :). Bref, ça m'interpelle en tant que hardcore gamer moi même (si on peut dire aujourd'hui).

Now i have been working on some digital comic project based on a few of my drawings.
Doing this i came to realize how difficult it is to actually do the script and create the cartoon.
Being low on budget and time i used all kind of tricks to actually just work on my freehand assets instead of starting from scratch for each page of the comic.
I printed it out in A5 format and it looks damn good (way better than in the youtube vid, and remember to put the HD setting on).
The advantage of youtube is that you can add music, and what more fitting music to a Heroic Fantasy inspired digicom than...well you'll hear

I suggest watching the vids in order : first the comic, then the making of (even though i named them part one and two).

Also added a compilation of my 2015 work.

I know it is not CAS, but gimme some credit for sharing it here and maybe get some feedback on it because i hate youtube so i disabled any kind of comment or rating on my channel (also because it is pretty amateurish stuff as well :P)

Anyways, here we go, enjoy :

Last edited:
One last vid, which shows a drawing step by step (made out of stills taken with my right hand and an iphone while i was drawing, kinda tricky, and i don't have the hardware to do a true timelapse)
All vids are in HD, so either 720p or 1080p if you wanna see the details.

A quizz if you are up to it : there are 3 dark knight lore related easter eggs hidden in the drawing (kinda).

One last vid, which shows a drawing step by step (made out of stills taken with my right hand and an iphone while i was drawing, kinda tricky, and i don't have the hardware to do a true timelapse)
All vids are in HD, so either 720p or 1080p if you wanna see the details.

A quizz if you are up to it : there are 3 dark knight lore related easter eggs hidden in the drawing (kinda).

Very informative video. And I like that really dramatic black/white contrast. I'm quite a fan of Batman, but I could only find the Riddler icon in the upper left. I can't tell what that floating tower thingie with the red light at the tip is next to the question mark. I'm also not sure why Batman's eyes are red. Allergy season? Or what the red flash is supposed to mean. My best guess is that the Riddler got gassed with a moderate dose of Scarecrow's fear toxin, which causes him to see Batman as a demon complete with glowing eyes and hell fire.

The digital comic is very cool too. My only complaint is that the poor woman didn't have more characterization before being reduced to a lump of carbon. If my only purpose in life was to be someone else's plot device, I'd be pretty miffed Kappa . That weapon enchantment was really nifty tho. I'm gonna try CaSing the knight later. It might not turn out well though, so don't expect too much lol.

Riddler : check
Green buffon in a puff of cloud in the upper right hand corner
Joker impression hidden in the smoke screen in the lower left hand corner.

Batman's eye are red and the other red sfx are mainly here to replicate Frank Miller visual style : black, white and red (usually for blood or other effects).
It also gives the idea of a corrupted batman indeed with the red eyes...so your take on this is a cool interpretation (as always)
The smoke is supposed to replicate some kind of smoke screen from one of batman's gadgets...

The digital comic was a real challenge, of course it is short and yes the enchantress makes a very brief appearance, and i would have liked to give her some more room (i did a special version of her with the had and sorceress robes though, and the kinky tongue tip you noticed ?) improve the battle itself which is kinda on the short side. But as i had to use assets of the drawings and rework them which already took a lot of time, i came up with this very predictable script :)
I am happy you dig the lightning effect on the axe, i am pretty pleased with how it came out !

Thanks for the comments, i appreciate it

When i was younger, i was in love with games like Wing Commander and Freelancer or even XWings vs Tie Fighter back in the days. Today is the age of Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous, insane controllers and oculus rift, so i figured, why not try to make a space battle and try to work a bit more with SFX and transparency / perspective tools in Krita...and have a drawing that is less character centric for once...

A making-of video (kinda) :

Enjoy !

I have been extremely sucked into Batman Arkham Knight lately (completed 98%), which gave me the creative juices to try some batart...

Besides, I will be going on summer vacation in a few days, so i thought i'd wish you a good summer with a few fan arts i realized.

I actually made timelapse vids of the full sketching/inking/digital coloring process for those, but the music i used for background doesn't allow me to put them on youtube (you know, rights...)
So let's stick to the finished artworks then, which combined probably took another 60 hours chunk off my wretched life :)

HAPPY SUMMER BREAK 8WRUNNERS !

PS : i have actually made an artbook i got printed by a pro, and managed to sell 20 of them to relatives and colleagues, it was fun and the profit will fund my xmas videogames :)

With the Star Wars movie closing in, i did this sketch (décharge négligente = negligent discharge, in case you didn't get it) :

Drawing a stormtrooper is a challenge, but drawing darth's helmet upside down was a nightmare (i couldn't rotate the canvas cuz i was recording myself drawing it :).

Sorry for smothering you with likes but you did ask for it XD Besides, how could I help myself in your thread?
I remember seeing her, or an earlier version of her before. So haunting, especially the eyes and mouth. I don't think I will forget that face. O.O
Lol, this is wonderful XD I love your work on the helmet! I tend not to use helmets on my guys because I like their hair too much to cover it up, so I've never been good at crafting one XD I also like the detailing on the gauntlets!
So, was he happy with the comments ?

Fabulous. That face is spot-ON.
HOT. I love a guy who can rock a scar XD Lol, he is subtle but excellent in every way.
There will be no background story / design notes on this one because i want my brucege review you see :)
Then we can start a discussion about artistic choices, areas for improvement etc.

This one is my favorite. I'm a sucker for hindu mythology XD Interesting that you chose a female model for Krishna, but I guess the male model is too beefy for elfin, soft featured Krishna. You make those colors really work! I never touch the rainbow pattern myself, unless as a joke XD The headdress is spectacular. Very enlightened sort of look.

Long time no Vil CAS see...well, i have been playing mortal kombat X and i am fond of one of the chara designs, the mayan god of sun/blood/ you name it...Khotal Khan.
Another addition to my mayan CASt i have been working on while the kids are away and i have access to a 360 again :)
I have been trying to go a slightly different route than Balam and Tupakan, experimenting new things...
Is pretty intimidating ingame, as intended and as the original :P

I ended up using Sieg style even though this weapon was kinda interesting as well...

How about some gameplay pics ?

And last but not least, my best shot of KK :

As was mentioned, the face paint really does add a lot to this one! The addition of the feathers makes it pop too, and I notice some interesting pattern work on the gauntlets and sword! Haha, a very manly design XD

Your art, by the way, is wonderful. I understand your reasoning for not wanting to be a cartoonist full time, but it would be a real shame if you didn't do ANYTHING about it :) I hope you consider maybe publishing a webcomic at the very least. If you do... Maybe you could draw a hot guy and throw us girls a bone, huh? XD

Thanks Kirax for the comments and your picks shows how much of a CAS / cartoon lover you are...
A hot guy, hum, let me see, i got this one at least :P
c57ryer7qhyw62vi4.jpg

Ok, for you, i'll try to do one quick sketch, it will be a challenge cuz i mostly draw menacing muscular ones...

Back