Astaroth Q&A/Discussion Thread

pretty sure 22B is not guaranteed after 4B+KB unless theres some new trick to making it tech catch that i missed.

you can do A+G or 3B after 2B+K though.

Also for that last round, you can do GI, CE, 22B BE, A+G_66B for around 110 dmg. Burns a full 2 bars for the GI and combo, but I've landed it and got the clutch win a few times.

Anybody have any good setups for a CH 6K? The move hates me.

Nevermind. Getting better at implementing it.

has anyone tested the combo with the standard asta with all 8 axes?.

I've heard talk of CaS differences before, but are the various axes really a cause for concern? I typically use an Astaroth that I just dressed up clothes wise (Patriot Astaroth FTW), but he's still from "original character." Does this change things for me - should you always play a stock costume if you're serious about competing?

was trying to learn astaroth and I realized there aren't many moves to do with him. looked through some gameplay footage of astaroth in capable hands and it really comes down to spamming those trusty moves to get into the right counter hit and throw opportunities.

I am still new with him, so maybe I am missing something. what can you do to mix things up?

erm, nothing really, you can use some of the shitty moves if you want, 1K, 44K, 4K 3K, 2B 9A, wsA but really theres no point other then for fun.

erm, nothing really, you can use some of the shitty moves if you want, 1K, 44K, 4K 3K, 2B 9A, wsA but really theres no point other then for fun.
4K is amazing. Leads into guaranteed low grab attempt on hit, and hit confirmable. 3K is also amazing. 3KA is hit confirmable on CH, leads to potential wall splat/RO to his left. 3(K)(A) breaks quickly, and 3(K)A is hit confirmable, and guaranteed on NH. 3K(A) has good pushback, and good for ring positioning, and is a mix up for 3KA(if they like to duck the A). 9A RO's to his left, and could be used for ring positioning- use at tip. 1K should be used if said opponent doesn't see it well. also possible RO to his right. 44K, I haven't found much use for unless it's on force block- breaks in 8 I believe, and has great pushback.

All these moves are far from useless-
I can agree with 2B, though. As for WS A, it's great for side steppers- can be used immediatley after 44B-G. I don't use it much since people are used to ducking it on reaction. However, I've stolen strats from Saitoh mixing up 44B-G WS A, and low grabs.

44B~G wsA is actually duckable even after you step, i dont think i've ever had someone get hit by it, i doube very much you've ever used it in a match either.

3k a mix ups can be beaten by almost every characters 2A.
1k is actually really slow, when you first start using it it'll hit people, but after a week it wont hit anyone and the ring out is pathetic.
4k is ok, but it's only 20 damage or so and the low throw is just a 50/50

44B~G wsA is actually duckable even after you step, i dont think i've ever had someone get hit by it, i doube very much you've ever used it in a match either.

1k is actually really slow, when you first start using it it'll hit people, but after a week it wont hit anyone and the ring out is pathetic.

lol reading this post looks like all these moves are super crap, when in fact they aren't.

3k mixups
- can't be beaten by a lot of characters 2a because of the pushback
- Good RO properties
- lot of guard damage

- Good RO on NH (Idk why you say it is pathetic lol)
- Extremely good RO and good damage on CH
- Good antistep

- Safe against most of the roster
- Free throw attempt is great, if they break it you still have tons of advantage and can continue your offensive...is not like you don't get anything
- Decent i19 punisher

Regarding 44B~G wsA, I actually use it sometimes and I have hit even good players with it...but I agree that it is not so great.

what are a list of his ring out tools?
I find A+B and 8A+B hard to land because it can't smack them around unless used on max range, most people are smart enough not to stay on the max range.

3KA and 1KA don't combo and fairly easy to react to

I guess it's up to comboing into 28B+G, air grab A+G, and 22B into 66B? also 44A, 1AA, CH66B, 6B+K
does 2B+K rings out?

also when do I use bullrush?

o.pyrrha can DNS B inbetween the hits on both 3K,A and 3K,[A].

1k next to the ring out range of maxi's low and how 1k used to be in sc2 is a joke.

is off the ground 22B BE (from a combo for instance) into 28B+G, does 28B+G need to be just frame every time? or are there exceptions where normal 28B+G can connect?

I've hit people with WS A after 44B-G. Especially post-patch, where stepping is -20. It will catch step. And, as I mentioned before, great mix up for low grab attempt.

As someone pointed out before, 3KA(series) has pushback, so 2A's don't interrupt. Even if Oprah can interupt with DNS B, that doesn't make this move "useless." It just means don't use it on Oprah as you would other match ups. 1K is reactable, and shouldn't be spammed. Hoever, on CH, you get longer RO range. I actually have landed this against great players, in tournaments. on NH, if it does hit, you have potential RO. I'm still on the side of "4K is great." Even if it's only 20DMG, that's 20DMG and is hit confirmable into a low grab attempt. If 4K is blocked, you can immediately do 4KK/4K(delay)K to stop a punish.

A grappler getting unnecessary hate? Welcome to the FGC at large, lol.

I honestly hate using the word "scrub," but the people yelling incoherently about Astaroth probably are ones.

i am also noticing a trend. the people who hate on astaroth play the "cover charatcers" nightmare, siegfried, mitsurugi. etc.

Back