FreeMeal's SC5 CAS

This has probably been done before, but here's Proto-man:
iwKCzLi33998F.png

I like the reflection on his shades.

And of course I broke my promise to myself about Ornstien, but I think this helmet is most accurate:
ibqpcdr0HXNfqc.png

Your helmets for Mega Man and Proto Man are amazing!
Usually, when I tried to use stickers for large areas, they end up looking a little smeared.
Do stickers usually work better for small areas compared to using them for large areas?

Thanks, Retrotator1!

There are a lot of factors that affect how a sticker is placed.

First, remember that the more you blow up an image, the more pixellated it gets. So, you're right in that scaling a sticker to max on a large piece of clothing is going to start to look fuzzy faster than on these helmets. However, it seems that different stickers are made at different resolutions. Take the dragon crest sticker (motif 78?) and scale it up on the leg on the Rubber Unitard. Compare that to how one of the large number stickers scales (super fuzzy).

One thing you could consider is looking in the location settings and try "Entire Body". This changes how the sticker goes on the part quite a bit. So instead of placing on upper body and scaling up, put on entire body and see if it scales better (scaling down instead of up).

On top of that, there are issues depending on whether you choose 'place by axis' or 'place by view'.

Place by Axis uses something called a Cylindrical Projection. In terms of 3D modeling, before a texture is applied, each polygon must be mapped out on a field called a UV map. These UVs determine which part of an image goes on which polygon.

ibewEQaScvcFPq.png

Here you can see a UV map created with a Cylindrical Projection. See the Cylinder? Now look to right for the UV map. Because the top of the cylinder is flat, the polygons are smushed together. You can see the effect on the texture on the sphere. As the image goes toward the top, it gets stretched and then distorted. This is why on upper body and head equipment, the stickers get distorted the closer they are to the top, or shrinking into a black hole. This is also why the image will start to spread messily on the arms if scaled up too much. Very annoying side effects.

Place By View is different. It used a 'camera projection'. Much like a movie projector, it shoots the image from the in-game camera onto the model. This is why it looks normal when projected top-down onto the model. Of course, what ever isn't in the camera's direct line of sight isn't going to get the image.

For reference, TTT2's decal placement uses 3D planar projection. What ever fits inside the box gets the image. I'm not quite sure what the WWE games use.

tl;dr: yeah you got it. But whether or not it smears depends on the sticker, if the sticker gets close to the smushed UVs at the top, or if you use place on upper body or entire body. Try placing on Entire Body and see if that gets different results.

Thanks, Retrotator1!

There are a lot of factors that affect how a sticker is placed.

First, remember that the more you blow up an image, the more pixellated it gets. So, you're right in that scaling a sticker to max on a large piece of clothing is going to start to look fuzzy faster than on these helmets. However, it seems that different stickers are made at different resolutions. Take the dragon crest sticker (motif 78?) and scale it up on the leg on the Rubber Unitard. Compare that to how one of the large number stickers scales (super fuzzy).

One thing you could consider is looking in the location settings and try "Entire Body". This changes how the sticker goes on the part quite a bit. So instead of placing on upper body and scaling up, put on entire body and see if it scales better (scaling down instead of up).

On top of that, there are issues depending on whether you choose 'place by axis' or 'place by view'.

Place by Axis uses something called a Cylindrical Projection. In terms of 3D modeling, before a texture is applied, each polygon must be mapped out on a field called a UV map. These UVs determine which part of an image goes on which polygon.

ibewEQaScvcFPq.png

Here you can see a UV map created with a Cylindrical Projection. See the Cylinder? Now look to right for the UV map. Because the top of the cylinder is flat, the polygons are smushed together. You can see the effect on the texture on the sphere. As the image goes toward the top, it gets stretched and then distorted. This is why on upper body and head equipment, the stickers get distorted the closer they are to the top, or shrinking into a black hole. This is also why the image will start to spread messily on the arms if scaled up too much. Very annoying side effects.

Place By View is different. It used a 'camera projection'. Much like a movie projector, it shoots the image from the in-game camera onto the model. This is why it looks normal when projected top-down onto the model. Of course, what ever isn't in the camera's direct line of sight isn't going to get the image.

For reference, TTT2's decal placement uses 3D planar projection. What ever fits inside the box gets the image. I'm not quite sure what the WWE games use.

tl;dr: yeah you got it. But whether or not it smears depends on the sticker, if the sticker gets close to the smushed UVs at the top, or if you use place on upper body or entire body. Try placing on Entire Body and see if that gets different results.
Fascinating stuff. Very generous of Project Soul to allow us to use both cylindrical and camera projections. Still working on (practical) guide to bump mapping.

Thanks, brucege. I'm not 100% certain, as I didn't make the game, but just looking at how these methods behave I think it's pretty safe to say that's what they are. Is the guide going to be posted here? Somewhere else? I'd like to check it out when it's done.

Here in 8WR, of course. I'm kinda just leisurely chipping away at it whenever I'm in the mood lol, so it'll take a bit more time. The outline's mostly complete, and I have most of the sample pics I need, but organizing/writing everything in a way that doesn't intimidate newcomers takes some extra effort. Alotta stuff we take for granted just doesn't translate well to the uninitiated. I know, for example, that the first time I saw a basic pocket sticker, I was like wtf what DLC jacket is that. Gatsu's thread about chara design was indeed useful, but it tended to get really abstract/philosophical, leaving lotsa ppl to go tl;dr. I hope to avoid that at all costs. But anyways, gonna keep workin' at it.

Ah okay, cool.

Here's some Robot Masters:

GutsMan:
ib0t0IzPafXFvP.png

HeatMan:
iUOmLvEAL1XDm.png

The straps kind of get in the way.

PharohMan:
iFORvrKuJ3TDg.png

GeminiMan:
iSXP2UnCfGSO7.png

SnakeMan:
i7Xa9wSRCjPVI.png

Hard to see, but the snake head has a tail that goes down his back.

ibrooF8EXBkfRN.png

Weird thing that happened. The blades came black when I went to test battle, though.

Finally, updated Megaman's head because I thought the sticker was distracting.
ibi1zs9rsj0f3D.png

I'll make some originals next time.

Nice robot masters. That's a clever way to make Heat-Man.
I tried making Zero before, using Nightmare's dlc helmet.
Have you seen anyone make Roll in SC5 yet?

Sorry for the late reply, glad you like them, guys!

I think I saw your Zero before. It was the MMZ Zero right? It looked really good.

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a Roll online. So, I made her myself.

Classic Roll:
ieDldUmS04572.png

Roll from MML:
izywssPmRVsxa.png

Also, an origional (Some sort of Paladin King):
iUqnCF6dCaLLl.png

Impressive work FreeMeal !

I've always been a fan of mega-man myself and I must they are amazing.

Do you have anymore characters like Zero or Bass?

I've seen many recreations of Zero but not Bass.

anyways, good job on the recreations !!!

Glad you like the Rolls, guys.

I tried Bass and Zero:
iusEFPr2oUIs2.png

He turned out okay, I wish you could make the bat wing brighter yellow, though.

ibhqfn3yCnbQ3C.png

Not all that pleased with this one. He's been tried before and I think others have done a much better job than I did. Not nearly as clean or detailed as I would have liked.

Bass- he look okay

Zero- he has a man boobs? maybe i should not add those stickers on his chest if i recreate him?

Well, that's always been a criticism some had of the original design. That he had "green jewel boobs". I wish I had more than 3 extra parts to work with, so I could make the jewels stand out from his chest.

Awesome Roll & Zero!

The Zero I made was based on MMX5. I didn't get to put as much detail to it as yours.

ZWEI was my favorite style to use for Mega Man characters, because the look like they're teamed up with Rush.
My favorite music to use for them is Lexia's theme, because it reminds me of the NES Mega Man games.

you deffinantly put a lot of work into your megaman recreations. thats by far the best megaman ive seen and i really liked your roll as well.

Thanks, Fitzy, Retrotator. The Rush idea is neat. I used EdgeMaster because MegaMan got all the powers. I'll have to listen to Lexia's music again.

Sorry for the long wait, I've been busy.

Here's Guillo from Baten Kaitos:
ibyY6ag44KesxP.png

I've never played the game before, but her design is pretty cool.

Hey dude, I have been enjoying your Dark Souls and Castlevania character creations. With the Shanoa formula, I think you messed up the coordinates for the second bat wings. I don't have it connecting to her chest when I put the exact coordinates. Did you make a mistake? By the way it is very clever and it looks legit.

Back