iGDR GUIDE and Move Discussion

thx for the help buddy...

What he means is that beyond what's been posted here, there isn't some magical trick that you're not understanding. There isn't anything else that we can tell you, you're just gonna have to go in and figure out the timing yourself. Look at your inputs in practice mode, if B and 4 aren't on the exact notation after 1, then you're fucking up. If you get Dread Charge, you pressed B too late. If you get 1B, you pressed it too early.

There isn't any esoteric system nonsense that lets you plink it or cheat it in some way, you just have to hit back and B at exactly the same time. Go back and try it again. You're not gonna get it 100% overnight. Some people (me) haven't gotten it 100% in years spent playing the character. I just watch Hates straight lose a match at NCR because he missed an iGDR that would have won him the game, and he's one of the best Cervy players we've got.

So if you're gonna play this character, don't be a baby about it.

quick question, wasn't sure if i put this here or on Q&A, after 8A+B is there any way to get iGDR since it automatically transitions into DC?

No. You can only do normal DC moves out of it. Also, if we look it from a perspective it would be completely useless if you could as you will simply go through them while they are flying in the air (Launches very high, like 44A+B) and on block you will get guaranteed back thrown. Let's say 8A+B is one of those moves that are there if you are feeling suicidal. It's a total waste of space in the game.

The move is completely useless so I recommend not even considering to use. Why?

-The damage is way poor for such unsafe launcher.
-When you land the move there's nothing guaranteed after it. Everything from the DC followup whiff most of the time due to SCV's inconsistent hitboxes.

It's a pity though. Back in the day 8A+B was pretty decent. Had great damage and combo potential and was cancelable but now it's reduced to garbage. Farewell Shoryuken!

No. You can only do normal DC moves out of it. Also, if we look it from a perspective it would be completely useless if you could as you will simply go through them while they are flying in the air (Launches very high, like 44A+B) and on block you will get guaranteed back thrown. Let's say 8A+B is one of those moves that are there if you are feeling suicidal. It's a total waste of space in the game.

The move is completely useless so I recommend not even considering to use. Why?

-The damage is way poor for such unsafe launcher.
-When you land the move there's nothing guaranteed after it. Everything from the DC followup whiff most of the time due to SCV's inconsistent hitboxes.

It's a pity though. Back in the day 8A+B was pretty decent. Had great damage and combo potential and was cancelable but now it's reduced to garbage. Farewell Shoryuken!

Really can't you get GDR K:K:K when the dude is knocked downed? The move can also surprise rushers!!!!

I didn't get the GDR KKK part but I'm assuming you meant DC K : B : B. If so then no, it can be avoided by rolling left or right as the move is quite slow and has no tracking at all.

As for Rushers Surprise I really wouldn't use it at all considering on block you get a guaranteed launcher.

It's simply not worth the high risk it has over such low reward it gives. We have better options for rushers like aB, 6A, etc.

Thats right, you can do the 214 as slow as you like.

If your 214 is fast enough for a DC, then its fast enough for an iGDR.

iGDR stands for instant Geo Da Ray right? If that's the case then I think that I've done this move several times before even knowing about it lol(just started playing Cervantes, very beginner friendly which can be annoying but still better than the masses of Natsu I have to face^)

Technically the move has to be done within 3 frames starting the moment you press 2. It's true you can do it somewhat slow as the full motion from 2 to 4 is smooth by itself, that should give you 3 frames alright. Otherwise you wouldn't be getting Dread Charge in the first place.

The difficult part comes down in pressing 4 at the same frame as B, which is the third frame, all that in a full and smooth motion.

If you do the motion quite slow you will duplicate a directional input and DC won't come out at all.

Check the training input display. Every successful iDGR will appear as this:

1 2 3 - Ignore this line, just pointing the frames.
-----B
2 1 4

Probably, it used to be that you could do stuff like that to cancel the DC B in case you screwed up the iGDR. But the first patch made it so that you could only cancel it with DC B+K so if it is what you said then it might be an older vid.

actually, you can still press G after screwing up iGDR if you use the 214B+G command.

another thing is which is a bit exesive is that 214b, a+b+k, g will give you the same result.

Technically the move has to be done within 3 frames starting the moment you press 2. It's true you can do it somewhat slow as the full motion from 2 to 4 is smooth by itself, that should give you 3 frames alright. Otherwise you wouldn't be getting Dread Charge in the first place.

This isn't strictly true. It is definitely possible to get a successful iGDR motion much slower than 3 frames, I just retested to be sure.

The reason why it often doesn't seem like it can be done slow is because for some reason, iGDR can't be buffered. Either that or the buffer window is very, very small. So in the cases where we use it most like in combos or after a blocked move, it usually has to be done fast due to not being able to buffer iGDR.

This is another reason why iGDR doesn't make a good block punisher imo, not being able to buffer it means you have to do the motion very fast after the blockstun, which is more difficult as well as adding to the impact time of the move. I just use 66B for anything between -16 and -18 on block.

iGDR is still fine in combos though, it can't be buffered but you have more time than you think to do the iGDR motion accurately.

As long as none directional input gets duplicated it's fine. My apologies I often refer to the inputs as frames too.

I can't do two of these stupid things in a row for the life of me. It seems the 2P side gives me a lot more trouble than the 1P side since I can do the second easy enough if I manage to start on the 2P side. I play on pad, any of you have such issues?

I'm probably just being impatient and need more practice, but perhaps you guys know a cheat for switching sides? :)

I honestly believe it comes down to practice and dedication. There's no shortcut to it nor cheats. My iGDR execution is decent on stick but almost perfect on Pad.

Many have posted alternate methods to minimize the dangers of missing it but it really comes down to taste. In my case I find myself quite comfortable doing the standard way. Its really down taste.

Back