Pyrrha Q&A/General DiscussionThread

How unsafe are her moves? She kills me every time when in the right hands. >.<

I need to learn how to punish her more properly.

she is the most powerful character in SCV. she's un-punishable, there's no point trying! j/k
but if she is like the old sophie, then she's the one doing the punishing... so the answer is not in Phyrra's moves, it's in you. (Well! that's deep! ^_^)

It serves it's purpose as a guard impacted for whiff punish, if nothing else.

No cause the CE stops immediately, you do absolutely no damage. You never intentionally want to use the CE for the guard impact on it, cheaper to just use a regular gi. No idea if you even recover fast enough to be able to use the CE gi to guarantee anything either (such a pain to get it to trigger).

How unsafe are her moves? She kills me every time when in the right hands. >.<

I need to learn how to punish her more properly.

Her frame data is right here: http://8wayrun.com/threads/im-sorry-pyrrha-frame-data.10854/

No cause the CE stops immediately, you do absolutely no damage. You never intentionally want to use the CE for the guard impact on it, cheaper to just use a regular gi. No idea if you even recover fast enough to be able to use the CE gi to guarantee anything either (such a pain to get it to trigger).
I understand that, I'm just saying.. They used theirs outside a combo right as I quickstepped. They didn't know it was going to miss, so the fact that it impacted saved them from a hard-hitting move.

Regarding 236B:4, is possible to get the "4" followup at the very tip of the stab?

At farther ranges of the stab, both characters seem to recover faster after the hit and she doesn't say her extra line (such as "it must hurt" or something). At these ranges, I can't seem to get either followup (just frame or not) even if I try to vary my timing to match the hit. However at slightly closer ranges, after the stab she gets the little animation of her pulling out the sword plus the extra quote after the hit, and at these ranges I don't have a problem getting a "4" followup. Am I just timing the 4 incorrectly at farther ranges or is it just not possible to followup from there? Thanks in advance :)

According to the future press guide:
"If you get the Just version of AS B you'll have a chance for a clean hit and can also then land the Just follow up :4 attack from further away."

So based on that I'm guessing there is a distance at which you can connect a 236 B yet the :4 won't work unless you get lucky and score a clean hit (which it is also my understanding occurs randomly).

These are all just educated guesses though, I admit my experience is the same as yours where I can get the :4 almost ever time now from mid to close range, but never get it if I connect with just the sword tip.

"If you get the Just version of AS B you'll have a chance for a clean hit and can also then land the Just follow up :4 attack from further away."
I've noticed after Pyrrha Omega's 236236A, 236B just makes them fall down if you don't get the just.

Not like it matters, I can never get the 4.

What are the good interrupts for Pyrrha?

Playing my friend offline in our weekend tournaments, and he's taken a liking to using Lexia and I cannot figure a way to counter his spastic button mashing!

I'm gonna make myself known here.

This is my first Soul Calibur game and I'm finding it a lot of fun thus far. I chose Pyrrha because I thought she looked cute ( I had seen in action from watching Juicebox's stream as he played the story mode and knew that I wanted to main her right there. ) The fact that she is an easy to use character and seems to be high tier is a plus to me.

I'm still learning the game and getting my head around all the notations, I guess the fact I have prior FG experience is making the whole learning experience a lot more pleasant than learning SF4 was.

I have some basics with Pyrrha down, like her basic moves and some basic combos, any more basics worth knowing?

I'd say the most important thing to practice early on is the just frame on her stab. Most of her combos are pretty easy...The skill of the character is to have the knowledge and reaction to punish as hard as you can whenever you have the opportunity.

You need to study other characters' movelists to figure out what you can stab...

Other than that a good overall sense of offense, movement & mixing up your basic options well.

For those who were discussing it before, AS B at tip range is -2 on NH, KND on CH and you cannot 4_:4 afterwards. JF AS B extends the range of KND on NH and allows you to get at least :4, I don't recall if it lets you get 4 as well, but it did in IV.

/edit/ Also because it seems there is some misunderstanding round the SA, 66B doesn't appear to have a TJ, even when her feet appear to leave the ground, lows will still hit her.

What are the good interrupts for Pyrrha?

Playing my friend offline in our weekend tournaments, and he's taken a liking to using Lexia and I cannot figure a way to counter his spastic button mashing!

Depending on who you're playing against, it's also a good idea to roll the dice and 236B. It's weird because I would never say this in the previous games, but the damage is so high in this game, that it really does help to get that extra bit of random damage once in a while, even if you get punished the rest of the time.

Occasionally using 236B as an interrupt limits their moves to either A: really fast moves that don't do much damage, B: nothing, when they're afraid of eating the CH 236B. If the people you're playing with can't punish it, do it even more until they learn to punish it.

A+G,3B whiffs on Viola? Can any one confirm this? What is a better follow up?

2B+KBBB combos just fine on her in my experience. Leixia, on the other hand, causes both 2B+KBBB and 3B to whiff after the throw and I haven't found anything else that works. It seems command throw is the only option if you're going to A throw.

imo command throw a is basically always the best a throw option...smaller break window, more damage than either follow up for normal a+g throw and better oki.

the only reason i would use normal a+g throw is if a+g throw, 66B BE would kill, as that does more than any other option if both hits combo.

A+G,3B whiffs on Viola? Can any one confirm this? What is a better follow up?
Pyrrha's a+g throw has a different animation on hit, depending on whether the opponent uses a male or a female character. When a male character gets thrown, they crumple and fall on their face, while female characters fall back. This results in a different okizeme situation (males = face down, feet away. females = face up, feet towards). For example: after a regular a+g throw, 2b+kbbb whiffs on female characters, while it doesn't on male characters. Due to falling backwards, there's more distance between Pyrrha and the female opponent, making 2b+kbbb whiff

This explains it well enough (LunaKage also made a combo video covering this):

It was SO funny! I've only seen it happen ONCE! But Pyrrha did the A grab while I was using Tira..

She fell face down. I laughed for quite some time.

Depending on who you're playing against.

If the people you're playing with can't punish it, do it even more until they learn to punish it.

Button mashing friends who use Lexia, Maxi, and Natsu, 6B is pretty quick I've found. 236B always gets countered, and rarely can I pull off the CH.

Probably should just go into training mode and drill these down for a couple hours. lol

It was SO funny! I've only seen it happen ONCE! But Pyrrha did the A grab while I was using Tira..

She fell face down. I laughed for quite some time.
Yeah, doing a+g from certain angles => females get the "male" reaction. It's also covered in the video I posted (few posts above this one), at 0:55. Basically, doing BT a+g = male reaction.

Back