Pyrrha Q&A/General DiscussionThread

For a bit of added fun, you can 1B after a midscreen CE in a combo to land some extra damage if they don't tech to the side, stuff like 3B CE 1B works.

so last night I was at a local tournament for soul at a bar called battle and brew.... i was working my way through losers and I came against a nightmare, now i had no match up experience so it went back and forth.
it came to the last round of the set, match point for both of us.... I guard broke him near the ring edge. I go for my BNB after a guard break , which is 4b 66bBE 22bak which would have guaranteed me the match....

instead what happened was (and i checked the replay, this wasn't a mistiming or any shit like that ) my 4B went through the nightmares body, and he recovered in time to flapjack me outta the ring.

thanks namco, your rushed ass game cost me my place in the tournament, because you people couldn't program hit boxes right T.T

Ouch, that sucks if 4B can whiff through someone like that, and Nightmare's big hit box no less.

I've noticed WR A+B sometimes has the same whiffing issues that Cass's WR A used to have, going right through people at times (course, now I can't get it to happen in training mode).

And if you want another BS glitch. I lost a match tonight when I whiff punished a throw with Pyrrha's CE and it just stopped after the first hit and didn't continue... would have been enough damage to KO.

I'm no expert, but if Sieg is abusing 3(B), 22K will beat all of his SCH options on block. SCH B and K get stepped and SCH A gets ducked. He's forced to switch to a different stance if he doesn't want to get hit. Keep in mind that a lot of his good stuff is free 236B:4 on block too, like WR AA and 1B. SRSH B and K are very, very bad on block as well, but you have to guess between mid/low. Just make sure you punish him hard whenever you block either one. In general, Sieg whiffing something is pretty terrible so you'll want to make him hurt whenever he does.

This 22K beating 3B SCH options is really effective, nets you 86 damage (100 on a clean hit). There is a bit of danger in doing this, 22K will miss at 3B tip range, and of course, 22K is a high so they could 3{B} 2G (or 3{B} B+K to go into base hold which tech crouches fast enough to punish 22K) and duck it to punish you in return. AA also trades with 3{B} K, and beats his other options.

As for other Siegfried tips:
-Be sure to punish all of his unsafe stuff with your 236B:4 stab whenever possible.
-A+B will auto-gi the 2nd hit of SCH K BE, very usefull for this
-If he tries to use a 2_8B+K chief hold side step to avoid what would otherwise be a valid punish, 4K will track him. This is particularly useful after a blocked 2{A+B}, as 2{A+B} 2B+K will dodge your 236B and his base hold will auto-gi any horizontal you try.
-If he whiffs SSH BBB, run up and 66B BE punish him, this has horribly slow recovery time so you can do it from the other side of the screen (actually if he whiffs most things, you can have a good chance of doing this). You can step out of this as well or A+B auto-gi the 2nd B if you block the first.
-His A throws A+G and 2A+G both ring out to the front and 2B+G rings out to the back. Break your throws accordingly.
-His fastest standing neutral move is K at i13, and his fastest crouching move is FC K/WR K at i14. His fast neutral mids are i15. So, you can abuse AA/2A at minor disadvantage against him.

Here's something really dumb that I haven't seen mentioned yet. If your 236B trades with a move and lands as a CH, you get a free 66B+KAB, 236B for 102 damage. Probably won't come up that often, but seeing as how 236B already seems to beat or trade with all of Raph's prep/SE options after a blocked 3(B) along with punishing 3B itself , it's something to think consider. There are probably other instances where it'll come up, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Ouch, that sucks if 4B can whiff through someone like that, and Nightmare's big hit box no less.

I've noticed WR A+B sometimes has the same whiffing issues that Cass's WR A used to have, going right through people at times (course, now I can't get it to happen in training mode).

And if you want another BS glitch. I lost a match tonight when I whiff punished a throw with Pyrrha's CE and it just stopped after the first hit and didn't continue... would have been enough damage to KO.
yep, this game was fucking rushed. i love it but god damn does it make it hard to forgive. namco has alot to do before i can tell people this game is good. this glitches are so frequent that i have a hard time taking this game serious competitively.

Here's something really dumb that I haven't seen mentioned yet. If your 236B trades with a move and lands as a CH, you get a free 66B+KAB, 236B for 102 damage. Probably won't come up that often, but seeing as how 236B already seems to beat or trade with all of Raph's prep/SE options after a blocked 3(B) along with punishing 3B itself , it's something to think consider. There are probably other instances where it'll come up, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Natsus who like to 6A+B4 > PO A can trigger that trade also. I think Natsu can PO BE to beat the stab, but it otherwise covers everything else (including no transition).

I occasionally see people use 4K in videos. Any reason why you'd use it over 6K? They're both i16, and give +6 on hit, but 6k has better range (4k seems to whiff a lot unless you're in their face), deals 2 more damage, and only slighly less safe (-6 vs -4) on block.

Not to mention 6K has a guaranteed 44B+K followup on CH. Best of all it breaks guard in 15, which is really good for a safe poke move.

I occasionally see people use 4K in videos. Any reason why you'd use it over 6K? They're both i16, and give +6 on hit, but 6k has better range (4k seems to whiff a lot unless you're in their face), deals 2 more damage, and only slighly less safe (-6 vs -4) on block.

Not to mention 6K has a guaranteed 44B+K followup on CH. Best of all it breaks guard in 15, which is really good for a safe poke move.

4K tracks and hits grounded people. 6K is linear and doesn't hit grounded.

Hey guys, just a quick question.

I've been playing and studying Alpha for a week now, and I can tell it's not going to work out for him and me.
I was thinking of switching over to Pyrrha.
I was just wondering what Pyrrha has going for her. Is it her damage? Her moves? Does she do well in dealing with various situations? I want to get a feel as to how Pyrrha fairs with the other characters.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, just a quick question.

I've been playing and studying Alpha for a week now, and I can tell it's not going to work out for him and me.
I was thinking of switching over to Pyrrha.
I was just wondering what Pyrrha has going for her. Is it her damage? Her moves? Does she do well in dealing with various situations? I want to get a feel as to how Pyrrha fairs with the other characters.

Thanks in advance.

IMO pyrrha is like the ryu of this game. a very versatile character that is easy to pick up , but hard to master((i say hard within only the sense that you need to be able to 236b anything -14 or more, and that will take some time). she has strong pokes, throws, mixups, and she has somehing the rest of the cast is very envious of , and thats 236b. 236b is the best punish in the game, and if you can start doing 236b:4 JF off of every -14 move then you gonna really make people scared. and thats VERY strong mind game wise .

IMO pyrrha is like the ryu of this game. a very versatile character that is easy to pick up , but hard to master((i say hard within only the sense that you need to be able to 236b anything -14 or more, and that will take some time). she has strong pokes, throws, mixups, and she has somehing the rest of the cast is very envious of , and thats 236b. 236b is the best punish in the game, and if you can start doing 236b:4 JF off of every -14 move then you gonna really make people scared. and thats VERY strong mind game wise .
You sold me when you said she's like Ryu.
What with all the JF practice I've put into Alpha, doing Pyrrha's 236b:4 is a breeze.
Not sure what you mean by -14. Not too familiar with the terminology, so if you can clarify, I'll be in you debt.
Thanks again. :)

when something is -14 it is -14 frames, meaning that when you block a move that is -14 on block. you can get a 14 frame or faster move (in soul calibur we call this impact usually demonstrated like this : i14) for free. this is what we call "Unsafe" in fighting games. if frames are still foreign to you then i suggest looking up one of the many guides out there to help you learn the basics. thats the first step to getting better

...she has somehing the rest of the cast is very envious of , and thats 236b. 236b is the best punish in the game, and if you can start doing 236b:4 JF off of every -14 move then you gonna really make people scared. and thats VERY strong mind game wise .

'arguably the best' would me a more apt description.

Alpha Patroklos' tools are counted the current THE BEST punishers in the game... especially his i9 CE.. >_<

Pyrrha Omega's i15 DNS B:4 would be the 2nd best (you only need to hit this 3 times to win the round... and it has superior range... >_<) as well as her i14 NS B:4, same impact frames as n.pyrrha's AS B, deals good damage AND rings out in front of her or wall splats!

n.Pyrrha's AS B4 is still good though, one of the very few damaging options she has... and gives her decent oki after.

Me vs Maxou - Ranked Match

Case in point.. ^_^

...hitting them JFs really helped with stopping Mitsu from outdamaging you.. >_< lol!

...only Pyrrha Omega's NS B4 would ring out/wall splat... as well as do more damage. ^_~

However, that 22_88K[K] into CE was quite nice... ^_^

But IMHO, its scarier to face a Pyrrha Omega who can hit their JFs as well as able to tag DNS B enders into most little launchers and stuns...

...well, same as pyrrha, but the unfortunate opponent will die quicker.. =_= lol!

Examples:

...3:14 @_@

...3:06 to 3.21 shows how damaging DNS B:4 really is... >_< haha!

is there any real point to pyrrha having a jf off her 236b? ... I'm not talking about the followup hit-throw after the stab ... talking about the actual jf flash when doing a quick 236b. it's not more damage [unfortunately] and to my knowledge, it is still i14 ... so what's the point?

stuns for a potential jf attack throw followup at max distance, which will not happen on the regular version.

hm really? .. I thought it did that with clean hit only. if that's true, that is interesting then ..

also maybe shouldn't go in this thread, but i've been liking omega more lately. i dont really rely on 66b be to generate offense anymore, just as punishment/oki and omega seems a bit more challenging and interesting to me.

Back