Pyrrha Q&A/General DiscussionThread

Training mode has a tips mode where it introduces a character's main moves and it tips that 1k is safe on block.

WTF! game has a tips mode? and its wrong? lol, I will be testing this as soon as I go home, but I am 97% certain 1K is punishable, and I am certain you could verify this yourself in training mode

Training mode has a tips mode where it introduces a character's main moves and it tips that 1k is safe on block.

Its definitely wrong about this. Perhaps in some pre-release version it was safe when those tips were written, but that is not the case anymore. Now there are really a few characters who can punish a -15 low hard. Just try it for yourself, record the cpu doing 1K hold G and then play it back and you'll be able to 236B punish after blocking it.

Its definitely wrong about this. Perhaps in some pre-release version it was safe when those tips were written, but that is not the case anymore. Now there are really a few characters who can punish a -15 low hard. Just try it for yourself, record the cpu doing 1K hold G and then play it back and you'll be able to 236B punish after blocking it.
I'm afraid not. Lots of those tips were just plain wrong from the very beginning. Some of them are useful though. But I don't think they were intended for the hardcore crowd. More just something to help players along the way without having to go through a long and boring tutorial

You can turn around and do
236B - 26 damage for the hit.
66B - 21 damage for the hit.
66B BE - 21+15 for the hits.
9B+K - if they tech forward or right, it'll smack them down and do 26, which you can do 4K (catches all tech directions) for 44 total and if they tech back or left, they get quaked and you can do 236B:4 for 56 total. However, if they don't tech, they don't get hurt or anything.

9B+K - if they tech forward or right, it'll smack them down and do 26, which you can do 4K (catches all tech directions) for 44 total and if they tech back or left, they get quaked and you can do 236B:4 for 56 total. However, if they don't tech, they don't get hurt or anything.

3B catches all tech for a relaunch after 8B+K hit.

Is there an optimal way to buffer 236B while blocking such as to execute the move the moment the block string ends? I'm having a lot of trouble currently punishing moves on block with angel strike that I know I should be able to according to the frame data. I've never buffered moves while blocking before so I'm kind of new to this, was previously just waiting until the block string ended to execute the move, but it seems like doing that just doesn't allow me to input the move fast enough against all but the most unsafe of moves and since the patch I can afford to get an angel strike blocked even less then ever.

@Dan
to punish -14 moves you have to input 236B before the blockstun ends. I read somewhere that bufferring window in SCV is 20 frames long, but im quite sure it varies, should be quite constant if it comes to block punishing tho. For start, try to input 236B the moment you see that little white flash that occurs when an attack is blocked. Then you just have to adjust your timing until you can "feel" it. Its actually a matter of getting used to it, with little practice there should be no problem

Thank you for the response Aragh! So just to clarify, I should aim to hold block and not buffer until I see a white flash, then I need to immediately release block, input the 236B, and assuming the block stun wasn't longer then 20 frames, an angel strike should come out on the very first possible frame when Pyrrha leaves block stun? I guess my problem was that I was trying to buffer in the motion while blocking (and before I was trying to buffer it I guess my problem was just that I wasn't inputting the move quick enough after the white flash).

Assuming this is correct, definitely going to be spending some serious time in training mode looking for those white flashes and increasing the speed of my 236B inputs.

actually, you can buffer directions while still holding block. If visual effect of blocking is not good enough for you you can also listen, and act as soon as the sound of swords/axes/whatever clashing is heard. I did my best, but its kinda hard to explain :P i believe a few moments in training will let you get a hang of it, just record an opponent doing a -14 move and blocking for a few moments after, and try to punish buffering a move with diffirent timings to see how you can get it to be the most consistent.

the [slight] problem with buffering certain moves like 236b is that you can't get the 236:b jf version ... or at least I have a lot of trouble with it.

why is this a problem? ... because on a far distance 236b, she can't get the jf followup ... only with 236:B:4. there are a few situations where it would be good to try to get the 236:b ... for example, after blocking natsu's aab

of course you can. Im 99% sure that after bufferring 236 you have to press B the first frame after the buffer (first frame of neutral state). Thats how it seemed to work in SCIV.

right. but you can't do it within the buffer is what I meant ... probably the 6:b has to be outside of the buffer window ... but I believe you can just buffer the whole 236b in sc5 lol

i meant its just the B that has to be outside the buffer. 236:B from neutral is probably done by hitting B 1 frame after 6, but it is diffirent when doing it from buffer.

Pyrrha's 3B is really annoying.

That is all.

In an attempt to try to make a topic out of this post:

I almost never use 3B. Should I be using it? And more importantly, if so, in what situations should I be using it? I find it pretty slow, pretty unsafe, and pretty linear. I believe it hits grounded opponents, but usually in those situations I opt for 66B, 66B BE, 44B+K, or just 1K. As a linear punisher I generally stick to 236B:4 which seems to have better range, a tech crouch, and comparable if not even superior damage when you get the just frame version to anything I can usually combo after the 3B with.

I have the future press guide and decided to look this move up just now just to see if it had anything to say about 3B but it barely even mentions it exists, not listing it in any of its recommended primary or secondary moves, nor listing it as the starter in its list of combos. It also doesn't suggest it for Ukemi or even ring outs, the one place I'd think it would make the most sense for. The only places I found it mentioned at all was as the finisher in one of its combos, and in the frame data section where it lists all moves...

Back