Pyrrha Q&A/General DiscussionThread

From the patch notes:
  • During Angel Step :B: (Angel's Strike): lengthened freeze for performing the move. Same change to During Angel Step :B: (fastest input) (Angel's Strike).
  • :2::3::6::2::3::6::A+B+K: (Trinity Strike): shortened opponent's block freeze

Lengthened freeze for performing the move = You have more freeze time afterwards for doing the move. Your opponent recovers just as fast as they used to. This has a net effect of being less safe, as you recover later. This also could mean it recovers slower on whiff too, if the freeze time applies there too.

Shortened opponent's block freeze = You recover at the same time as you currently do, but your opponent recovers faster. Again, this is a net effect resulting in being less safe.

They are essentially the same thing. But, if your opponent has more freeze time, then they have more time to buffer in their punish against you.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

The patch came out early for some people ( not me, though ) and according to people in the chat, her Stab Recovery is now either -17 or -18 on block, which means a lot of the cast can punish it with a 3 B if it's the latter.

Don't take my word for it, though. I'm relaying it from a source in the chat room.

Hi... I'm thinking of picking her up.... feeling a bit meh because I started with Natsu and in mk9 I mained Jade and I'm running from the frustration of playing a sandbag ever again... for a change I'd like to win, please T_T
A brief introduction...
I'm... pretty old? I guess. Comparatively.
Sophitia and Taki were my two loves in Soul Blade on the PS and Soul Calibur (first) in the arcade. Then I had a brief... ten year long break because of , yknow, life.
I have no offline scene where I live so I'm mainly playing online.
I was exercising character loyalty in far too many games, MK9 being the last one, so now I need a character I can hold onto, hug tight, and --- win with.

The reason I picked Natsu is because
#1 reason: Pyrrha's attitude with all the cryning and whining just... got to me I guess.
#2 reason: everybody was like omg Natsu is so top tier.
Well look at her now...

I'll just CaS me a Pyrrha that says "What a wonderful day" and practice the ancient chinese art of WooPing with her.
Thanks for reading me.

Okay, on topic:
- who are her worst matchups, if she even has any? I'm told her worst are 5/5 matchups but... just checking? I guess.
- I hear she's mainly whiff punish, though some people told me she has pretty solid high-mid-low game and she's fairly safe at it too. Which matchups/situations require aggressive and which require passive approach?

I is tired. Sorry if I said/asked something stupid.

- who are her worst matchups, if she even has any? I'm told her worst are 5/5 matchups but... just checking? I guess.
- I hear she's mainly whiff punish, though some people told me she has pretty solid high-mid-low game and she's fairly safe at it too. Which matchups/situations require aggressive and which require passive approach?

Worst matchups, anyone who can play safely and anyone who can play at range effectively. I don't feel comfortable putting numbers on any matchup at this point myself. There's definitely no really bad matchups.

I wouldn't say she has a solid high-mid-low game. Her only lows are generally all unsafe on block, and generally only pokes that leave you at disadvantage even if you do hit with them (1K is only knockdown on counter hit, and 1A is pathetically slow). If you are looking for a character with true mixups, this isn't the one, I find no reason to randomly duck in mirror matches and generally don't care if I get hit by 2K/1K's.

As for aggressive/passive, I'd say that comes down more to who your opponent is and not so much what character they are playing. You don't really want a truly passive approach, sure you can wait for your opponent to do something dumb so you can 236B:4 them, but, you need to be moving about yourself actively to get those whiff punishes. You can't really play all that aggressively, nothing is advantage on block (well, technically her BE's are, but they are all easy to just guard and turn unsafe). But when you do score a hit, keep on passing your offense.

#2 reason: everybody was like omg Natsu is so top tier.
Well look at her now...

I've never been a tier whore... but I do hope that if you're making the switch to Pyrrha that you don't do it because she's "up there" [she's not] ;P

after much playing with her, you'll see that she's really not as good as people make her out to be... especially at high level. while other characters get massive damage off their staples [cervy 3b, igdr, b2 = 83 dmg ... viola's bnb = 87 dmg], pyrrha gets a whopping 50 damage off her 3b, stab. her combos do no damage unless you happen to get a big whiff into 66b,be or something.

236b:4 is her strongest non-super "combo" punisher up until -23 where she gets 66b,be. stab:4 does 62 damage, but it also doesn't offer any oki, no ring out, and it's still a just frame. the 236b4 version offers decent oki, but does 52 dmg iirc... nothing to be excited about.

There's definitely no really bad matchups.
How do you handle those "harder" matchups now that apparently she has no safe moves? Counter whoring?

hope that if you're making the switch to Pyrrha that you don't do it because she's "up there"
I've been playing the losing game for too long. I want a character that'll be winning. Online. Because that is the only place I can play. Pyrrha has no bad matchups and is everybody's little sister in that she's a counter to everybody, unlike Natsu who's pretty much everybody's momma but Sieg/Mare/Asta's bitch. I'd even add Viola to that list by now. Where I see Natsu struggle I see Pyrrha triumph online a lot.

Undeniably, I need to play a character/moveset that I find attractive and there is something disturbingly sexy about 15% of her moves going below the belt, I always loved Sophitia too for being able to "I'mSorry" those huge armored guys with. :P

How do you handle those "harder" matchups now that apparently she has no safe moves? Counter whoring?

I've been playing the losing game for too long. I want a character that'll be winning. Online. Because that is the only place I can play. Pyrrha has no bad matchups and is everybody's little sister in that she's a counter to everybody, unlike Natsu who's pretty much everybody's momma but Sieg/Mare/Asta's bitch. I'd even add Viola to that list by now. Where I see Natsu struggle I see Pyrrha triumph online a lot.

She has safe moves, plenty of good mids/highs, its just her lows that are always chancy (though realistially, 2K/1K are almost impossible to react to and you'll be fine if you aren't predictable with them).

Online you should have no troubles winning with Pyrrha. The majority are either free 236B:4 stab punish bait, or just attack at disadvantage not knowing what the guard button is turning them into BB/AA/JG counter bait. And virtually nobody ever steps her verts or ducks her highs online either, so, really, your weaknesses largely become non-existant.

Would any Pyrrha mains like to get revenge and apologize a lot after viciously mutilating Tira on XBL? I would like that very much and happen to play Tira on XBL :D

Yeah I'm looking for sparring partners for just about every character. Anyone interested in beating me into the ground so I can hopefully learn to not suck at teh vidja gaemz?

;) but im serious I don't know how you mean, r u asking me to test it in training mode? as in you have tested it and you could not stab punish 1K?
Training mode has a tips mode where it introduces a character's main moves and it tips that 1k is safe on block.

Back