Soulcalibur V Art/Wallpapers

Had some free time to kill while waiting for an important meeting (well it wasn't that important) so I did a quick sketch on my Surface Pro 3 tablet PC in Photoshop and then spent the rest of the afternoon finishing it up (while making excuses when I should have been doing something "productive" - whatever... chug down some Red Bulls and tell everyone I'm busy - lol). Haven't really tried much drawing or painting on this device as I do most of that (which is pretty seldom) at home on a Wacom Cintiq draw-on tablet interface. The SP3 feels a bit weird though since it's mostly a glass surface as opposed to the Wacom which has more of textured surface but overall it's not bad. The fact that I'm not tethered to a desktop machine is nice and finally I feel like I'm using this tablet PC for something useful (work doesn't count...).
I'm thinking of getting a surface pro 2. I don't like that the 3 dropped Wacom and put in N-trig with only 128 levels of sensitivity. Soon as all the kiddies are done jacking up the prices on Ebay like retards, 6 days before the auction even ends, for their back to school BS, I'll get one.

So here's the sketch with coloring - Sophitia:

I'm still fairly new to digital painting so I need more practice for improvement. I've mentioned before that I haven't done any "traditional art" in a long while, probably not since high school/college. But all those same principles apply - in-step layers as you would like oil paint on canvas but it's so much better on a digital canvas without all the mess.
Nice, the only thing I might say is her nose is a bit long, giving her sort of a horse face. The eyes are rendered nicely.

I saw you on DA in the Soul Calibur group. I have some of my stuff in there too.

I'm continuing to try to git gud. This is my latest.

Bikini Taki.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the Surface Pro 3 primarily to use at work. Originally I was going to get premium laptop but while shopping around saw the SP3 which happen to release that week. I really had no intention to ever buy it since I wasn't really fond of any of the Surface tablet PCs by Microsoft but after having played around with it in the store and reading some reviews, decided to go with it. They made some really great improvements with it overall and although I somewhat agree with you about the switch from Wacom to N-Trig, it's really not that bad even with drawing on the go. It's actually 256 level of pressure sensitivity, not 128 but yes much less than Wacom's 1024 on previous SPs. Like any other device you learn to work with it and really, it isn't that bad for its purpose.

What really won me over actually was the size of the screen - its 3:2 aspect ratio so it's really geared for productivity. The previous SP's had smaller screens and were all 16x9 widescreen which like a lot of a laptops these days are great for movies but not so much for things like office apps or digital art. Still I prefer using my Wacom Cintiq at home for real drawing or design work for its pressure sensitivity and screen texture (SP is too smooth - plain glass). But with all things mobile, there is always a compromise and this pretty much fits the bill for the present time.

Yeah I guess the nose is a bit long - lol. In actuality, I didn't start the sketch with the intention of drawing Sophitia. (I was actually doing a quick doodle of a co-worker which didn't turn out right then I just decided to simplify it and use it as an exercise at coloring on this new tablet and morphed it to make it look something like "Sophitia" for sake of posting here and on my DA. At some point, I'll do a few more sketches but I think I definitely need more practice with coloring for purpose of "print illustrations" as that's not one of my strengths - much room for learning and practice there.

Last edited:
So here's the sketch with coloring - Sophitia:

x0xs06.jpg
What I want to point out is that the white lines make the edges of her nose bridge look sharp. So it looks as though her nose bridge is really flat instead of round.

As for your sketch on Ivy, one minor complaint is that her right eye looks slightly bigger than her left.

I like the work you've done so far skytoast.

Your coloring technique is not bad. The best was done on Taki's thigh area. Those muscular curvature looks close to a well sculpted muscle figure (the thigh area that is); its just that it needs more intensity between black and white levels. The abs needed much more intensity than the thighs do. Also looking at Taki's right forearm it looks as though she suffered rashes or maybe a sun burn. Also with regards for her left hand I can tell you're attempting to make it face as if nearly pointing towards the camera. Again, the use of intensity gives the fingers a more 3-dimensional look as if its popping towards you; flat coloring or close to flat coloring doesn't make it stick out or not much at all so more intensity on that.

Last edited:
People are probably not replying since the posts you replied to are from August and they may not visit 8wayrun anymore.

People are probably not replying since the posts you replied to are from August and they may not visit 8wayrun anymore.
It's not really that, I'm pointing that there was some activity here (as of December) until I post something then everything went silent. I'm pretty sure there are other instances where the same thing happened.

Back