Street Fighter 4!

So, what's the verdict? I've been reading through this topic but am still looking for the general opinion. I understand it is different than SC IV. SC IV could have been near perfect if it wasn't for the glitching moves and tracking verticals. That and the simularity between characters made me stop playing it and only get it out when I get friends over. Of course, the SHIT online mode could have something to do with that.

How is SF IV online? How is the balance? Is it more based on timing than on execution?

Let me put it this way: Is SF IV the best fighting game to hit the consoles so far?

Best fighter to hit the consoles (I assume you mean this generation of consoles)? It's good, it has its quirks (Ultra is kind of gay though since it charges up so fast) but it's decently balanced. The online is pretty good. It's not as good as HDR (Buggy as hell) but I've had about 150 matches and maybe...10 or so lagged. Be prepared for the occasional quirk like having someone Ultra you out of things you didn't think possible but that's mainly online, haha.

My struggles with the stick and the huge flood of shotos has me thinking of giving SC a go so I can keep sharp.

Alright, I was messing around with Gouken today and here's some fucking crazy shit I found out in the corner for him. Let's see how this pans out for him.

Alright, I was messing around with Gouken today and here's some fucking crazy shit I found out in the corner for him. Let's see how this pans out for him.

Yeah between that throw into ultra and the auto parries it was bad enough but THIS. I don't know anymore, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

still, taking his ultra to the face at any given moment with back throw makes him hard as fuck (in a good way)

why the hell is he so fucking buffed????

The revenge meeter totely broke this game its so freaking silly that you can can take about half hp in 1 attack. All fighter games based on cartoons have those ultra silly super strong moves it just breakes the games. And it is retarded that you only way not to fill the meeters is to NOT hit anyway its just pure retardess

Need help here really quick.

I main bison and my secondary is Rose. I am curious about how to beat a certain play style.

Against Sagat, how do you beat someone who stays back and launches a few fireballs and waits for you to come then combos you? My teleport is unsafe and I am throw punished, I cant jump attack or else he hits HK and hits me from the air just to combo me, I cant run straight up or else im smacked by his fireballs. My DownCharge Up+K doesnt work either since He still hits me from the air. Same problem with knee press and psycho crusher, punished after use. What am I to do? Any tips?

EX scissors goes through the fireballs while EX-psycho will take 1 hit of a fireball before he's knocked out of it. Go with EX scissors...both have good distance though. Once you have pressure and closed the gap, try and keep close if at all possible. When you are at complete different sides you can focus parry a fireball or jump straight up and move forward a little. Also use devil's reverse...(thats what he's using in this vid to close the gap while not getting in SRK range ). Once you are within single fireball on screen at a time range you can punish through his fireball with EX scissors or psycho.

Is he throwing high tiger shots? if so you can slide kick under those as well. Your kinda at the bad end of this match-up, but then again...who the heck isn't with sagat??? lol. I'd be more worried about a GOOD sagat than one that hides back and does just that anti-air stuff ur talking about. Try those and look at the match vid and tell me if anything goes better for ya.

Or you can give up :)

Break is intentional, that's why it's a reset and there's two different ways to do it. The first part leads into a true 50/50 situation that can potentially do full health damage. THAT's the stupid shit.

But it's corner only and that damage can only be done with a full revenge meter (meaning Gouken in near death). It's not that bad. More of a shenanigan than anything considering the throw is breakable.

But it's corner only and that damage can only be done with a full revenge meter (meaning Gouken in near death). It's not that bad. More of a shenanigan than anything considering the throw is breakable.

I only showed with the ultra to show how much damage it does. Without ultra you can still do around 70 to 80%. Plus if you're really cocky you can do demon flip mixups (LK won't cross up, MK will) into even crazier combos without ultra.

Breakable throw is a non issue either, since if you guess wrong, you get hit or thrown anyway. This isn't SC4 where you have a ton of frames to break the throw. Once you're thrown and those hands connect, if you didn't press LP+LK, you're thrown. And getting someone in the corner is easy as all heck with Gouken too. Most of his combos corner you or put you near to it and he can then just rush you down with demon flips or fierce charge punch to close the distance.

He's good but he still has a ton of problem against people with airtight defenses tho. There's no way Gouken can get in on a good Boxer or a good Rose. He'll get countered and beat out of his shit every time if they're careful and just turtle it up. He's got shitty fucking responses to rushdown too and no anti air makes him vulnerable to crossups like no one else.

I only showed with the ultra to show how much damage it does. Without ultra you can still do around 70 to 80%. Plus if you're really cocky you can do demon flip mixups (LK won't cross up, MK will) into even crazier combos without ultra.

Breakable throw is a non issue either, since if you guess wrong, you get hit or thrown anyway. This isn't SC4 where you have a ton of frames to break the throw. Once you're thrown and those hands connect, if you didn't press LP+LK, you're thrown. And getting someone in the corner is easy as all heck with Gouken too. Most of his combos corner you or put you near to it and he can then just rush you down with demon flips or fierce charge punch to close the distance.

He's good but he still has a ton of problem against people with airtight defenses tho. There's no way Gouken can get in on a good Boxer or a good Rose. He'll get countered and beat out of his shit every time if they're careful and just turtle it up. He's got shitty fucking responses to rushdown too and no anti air makes him vulnerable to crossups like no one else.

Well no shit this isn't SC4, el oh el. I'm simply saying anticipate the throw because that's the only LETHAL option he has in that 50/50 mix-up, unless he doesn't have ultra. As for Gouken getting (or better yet keeping) peeps in the corner, he has no shoryu for you to be afraid of as anti-air. Sure he has his aerial hadouken but that's bait-able and if you're in close enough you'll jump over it (meanwhile C.Viper says "fuck yo couch" and high jumps the shit). His hurricane kick is also pretty laughable and unsafe so don't bet on that being used as anti-air either.

If anyone on Live feels like playing a good Chun-Li or Cammy, hit me up. I'm pretty much decent with everyone except Blanka, Honda, Dhalsim, and El Fuetre.

I think it's hilarious that many people think Ultras and high-damage combos are broken. Things are broken only when not everyone can do it. EVERYBODY has Ultras and high-damage combos. However you wanna look at it, this game is a hell of a lot more balanced than SC4.

Here's the latest Japanese tier list (arcade version only) courtesy of Tougeki Damashii magazine:

Top: Sagat, Viper, Akuma, Zangief
High: Ryu, Balrog, Rufus, Blanka
Upper-Mid: Bison, Dhalsim, Chun, Ken, Abel, Honda, Fuerte
Mid: Guile, Vega

No, those are not typos...there is no low tier in this game, everyone can compete.

Console may be a different story, however. Gen & Cammy are looking kinda bad at the moment, and I actually think Dan may be better than either of them.

And Gouken & Seth are obviously strong, but mark my words...Sagat will still be the best when it's all said and done.

Break is intentional, that's why it's a reset and there's two different ways to do it. The first part leads into a true 50/50 situation that can potentially do full health damage. THAT's the stupid shit.
Ah, okay. That makes more sense. I'm reminded of certain situations in other fighting games when guessing one 50/50 wrong would cost you the whole round but the hardly asked question:

Is the execution so difficult and situationally dependent as to feel like the damage output is earned?

Edit:
Fuck that noise.

i obviously havent played enough yet as i thought akuma would be high and ryu would be top. i also thought viper would upper-mid tier at best.

i kinda wish rufis looked better, but im maining him anyways as i think he is the funnest character to play.

Back