Votes: 33 70.2%
  • FT5

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • FT10

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

IAdoreBunnies

[10] Knight
As far as I know, the standard tournament match for Soul Calibur is an FT3. But to our inconvenience, some tournaments only allow for FT2. This upsets many people, but it is also to many others' liking. Also, if you want to discuss the possibility of FT5s or FT10s, then please do so.

The purpose of this thread is to:

A) Discuss how to better ensure (if feasible) that Soul Calibur standards are better respected.

B) Establish which one is more appropriate for Soul Calibur, and *WHY*.

Finally, even though this thread might get pretty intense, let's keep it civil. Thank you.

It's two out of three or three out of five. It's never been first to two or first to three in any tournament.

It's two out of three or three out of five. It's never been first to two or first to three in any tournament.

They're the same thing.

And, on topic, three out of five. Everyone comes to these tournaments with ten sorts of jank and pulls it out of their ass super quick. 3 out of 5 is at least a little bit more fair for people paying hundreds of bucks to go to these things.

If I had it my way, it'd be round robin ft10s all day.

2/3 is traditional standard, but in SCV damage is higher than normal. At that point, the random factor comes into play and a bit too many losses can be blamed on shenanigans.

5/9 would be great IMO, but then tournaments would drag on forever, and everybody knows every tournament already has problems being on time and sticking to schedule to begin with.

3/5 is a happy medium.

3 out of 5 makes it a bit more interesting since the player who gets to 2 first has to keep from getting figured out.

That and when match is 3 out of 5 it makes sense for a series of matches to be also.

No. In a FT3, you have to win three. In a 2 out of 3, you have to win two.

You named ft2, ft3, 2 out of 3, and 3 out of five. A first to two is the same thing as 2 out of 3; a ft3 is the same thing as three out of five.

Standard is FT2 or Best of three (same thing for the slow people)
Money Matches are usually FT10 or FT5
Online tournaments for smaller amounts of people are usually FT3
Atleast that's how i've understood it

The Shift to FT3/Best of 5 Only happened after MLG for SC5, and everyone thought the game had "too much damage" so lets make it 3. The game didn't have too much damage, people just want to play more, which is fine.

Marginal - You mentioned Best of 3 and Best of 5, and then you said there never was FT2 and FT3. But they're the same thing. Thats why everyone is on your case.

I think in germany it was FT3 during the time of SCIV, but the damage was too low, it took too long, so it got changed to FT2 at the end of SCIV. Then SCV came with much higher damage, but it wasn't changed back, now there's no EBO this year and i don't know how the other tournaments handle it.

My vote goes to FT3.

FT2 is fine, but I like FT3 better because their could be exciting comebacks in tournaments. FT5 would be great to, but tourneys can scheduling conflicts by doing this and that's why people can Money Match when the main tournament is over. The damage scaling is fine as is. However, I wish their is a least 1 final patch to tie up loose ends. Even if it doesn't happen I'm fine with that knowing that this game is 95% better balanced other fighting games.

I was always amazed by the standards the world snooker finals are held by. FT 17 or 18 as far as I remember, and every one of those games takes soo much time.

On a more serious note, I enjoy watching tournaments a lot, and wouldn't mind if the finals of major tournaments were at least FT5, preferably FT10. It would be nice to be able to compare SC grand finals with a soccer match or tennis match length-wise, and not 10-min coffee break :/

what is the problem behind lack of FT5 or FT10 tournaments? (talking only about finals, everything up until semi-finals could be FT3) organization/logistics? or audience's short attention span?

Back