A+B because you're manly

Is there a simple way to state the rules for what A+B will and will not do? Does it work against any high, mid or low that it receives within a standard window? What part of his animation does that window occupy?

Or are we discussing this because it's all situational and unreliable?

Manly?
It's all about Exploding (A+B), Flaming Sword (4A+B), Face Smash (2B+K) and The Drop Kick (44K).

Is there a simple way to state the rules for what A+B will and will not do?

Lau pretty much summed up the rules for A+B to explode in his first post, but I'll sum it up.

-general rule of thumb, any high, mid, s. mid or s.low move under 19 damage, some exceptions
-counter frames active from i11 to ABOUT i29
-if opponent attacks after counter is activated attack will be guard impacted*
-counter can be guarded if opponent uses move with quick recovery
-if Nightmare is already soul charged you can [A+B] and delay the counterattack**
Video example of soul charge [A+B]
-if counter is GI NM gets death stunned

*note: the counter is not invincible though. Eg: NM vs NM, and use 4KK to activate counter, NM takes damage and does not GI the second punch

**Note: the counter becomes invincible when you soul charge

I hope I'm not missing anything but that's it as far as I can think of.

I'd like to thank MeatSpinNM for recording all of these youtube videos that I reference here.

Wasn't there also something about it not working against moves that crumple stun, spin, or have attack throw properties? Does the 19 damage rule have a relationship to those properties? Is 19 a very uncommon amount of damage for one move? That's a little less than 10% of a life bar, right?

I'm not sure about that PhilBond. That may have to be looked into. I'll probably do that after my midterm tomrrow. Do you know of any below damage moves that cause crumple stun or spin stun, or attack throw, and are not low?

I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Not to completely change the subject here, but I discovered something crazy in training mode with this explosion move. I had Talim do a single A to trigger the explosion, and as it was already stated earlier, you get enough recovery to block the explosion. So I did it again but instead of just blocking the explosion I GI-ed it.

When I GIed it Nightmare took like 30 points of damage and went into a dizzy-like stun which I could then launch him and do all sorts of combos to him afterwards. I've never seen this done before, and while it's not practical in a match the fact that you can do this blew me away. Has anyone else seen this?

I guess it's kind of like Algol bubbles that way. I wonder if you can set it up to GI the A+B with another A+B in a mirror match. The game would probably freeze if you tried it.

Yeah, GI-ing the Soul Wave has been known. It's possible during match; 2A to trigger then GI. It's probably not going to happen though since not a lot of Nightmares abuse A+B to the point that someone will think of baiting it and going for the GI.

Yeah, GI-ing the Soul Wave has been known. It's possible during match; 2A to trigger then GI. It's probably not going to happen though since not a lot of Nightmares abuse A+B to the point that someone will think of baiting it and going for the GI.

Yeah I figured as much. I just noticed it wasn't mentioned in this thread so I wasn't sure if it was common knowledge or not. I wonder if this happened in SC3 as well.

Lau pretty much summed up the rules for A+B to explode in his first post, but I'll sum it up.

-any high, mid, s. mid or s.low move under 19 damage, general rule of thumb, some exceptions
-counter frames active from i11 to ABOUT i29
-if opponent attacks after counter is activated attack will be guard impacted*
-counter can be guarded if opponent uses move with quick recovery
-if Nightmare is already soul charged you can [A+B] and delay the counterattack**

*note: the counter is not invincible though. Have NM vs NM, and use 4KK to activate counter, you'll see how its not invincible
**Note: the counter becomes invincible when you soul charge

I hope I'm not missing anything but that's it as far as I can think of.

what do you mean by "invincible" when he's soul charged?

Try out the example in training mode. But it pretty much means that Nightmare won't gi EVERY attack after the counter activates and will take damage as a result.

Its difficult to explain, just try it out in training mode :P

*Edits post again to make clearer*
Wasn't there also something about it not working against moves that crumple stun, spin, or have attack throw properties? Does the 19 damage rule have a relationship to those properties? Is 19 a very uncommon amount of damage for one move? That's a little less than 10% of a life bar, right?

I tested out some moves with those conditions PhilBond.

Zas 3A activates counter *stuns on ch*
Crevy WR A activates counter *spin stun on NH*
NM A+K activates counter *AT on NH*

It seems that you only need to hit with a move below 19 dmg, and within the counter frame window.

I just found out something about the counter. Seems that it can be thrown out of.

Eg. Astaroth 2B+K (counter) B+G
NM 3K (counter hold) throw

Also while testing this I found that it seems that the counter is still vulnerable even after you soul charge first.

Eg. NM 3K (counter hold) 3B, counter trades with 3B

My theory is that the GI window is dropped as NM's does the counter attack. I've only seen this happen when the counter trade hits so far.

Back