A Calm Study in CaS.

There're WAY too many for me to comment on them all with too much depth, but I'll sum up a lot of my likes/dislikes:

PLEASE FOR TO BE NOTING YES: I haven't read any of the design notes before jumping into this. Due to the format that the images appear, I've merely scrolled through them that way, so feel free to disregard anything if you've explained it.

Without adoing further:

Love the Pyrrha. Not usually into modern-looking designs, but this is really nicely done. She looks wholesome, intelligent, and still cute. The colour is used well, and the pattern on the skirt adds a bit of style. The sticker functioning as lace is clever too. Great!

Tira is a bit lacking, she's kind of... There. Same with Pat.

viola is nice, simply done with minute but outstanding detailing via the ribbon/rose. The tiny hat, of course, just adds that flair.

Elysium... I don't get it. It's, kind of nice, but a bit weird? I don't really know to be honest.

Patsuka is an interesting one, I'd like to know the story behind it. The bloodwork could be better, needs some splatter, or some smearing.

Fuerl, who has a VERY cool thumbnail, makes me think of MGS. It's a personal thing, but I dislike the red armour. Perhaps a bit of saturation or some gradienting would help it make a bit more metallic, otherwise bright metal resembles plastic.

Blue-Pyrrha with the moon on is another simple design. And it's nice for that, but it's too plain looking. The addition of the moon doesn't really add anything - But perhaps you could build a theme around it? Make it bigger, use overstretch, overlapping, slightly differently coloured stickers to resemble clouds and a night sky or something? I think it would definitely work better being more thematic. Just a thought. (Though don't use the cloud patterns. They look tacky unless done on smaller areas.)

Prisoner Patroklos is unusual. The spatter work on the bandages/ball and chain is superb, though it would benefit from a few bigger patches dotted around. At the minute it looks like he stood and watched someone flick blood at him. I think you should darken the hair and add some dirty, rougher areas to his skin too. Really rough him up? Unless there's a reason he's so cleanly dressed.

White Elysium with the black rose just looks like a gardener to me. I'm so sorry, it's something I can't unsee. Please don't hate me ;~;

Gothy Leixia. I don't think I should comment too much on modern designs, as I'm naturally bias against them. It's neat enough though, if a little plain. I like the blue scarf though.

Lairt is an interesting one. It's got a lot of potential, but it doesn't have any oomph presently. Simple, detail-less clothing and mute colours translate as boring, and yet you have that regal pattern on the sleeves/gloves. It seems to offset the design a lot, making it a bit haphazard.

Naidraug is an improvement. He has presence, he's got style, but again he lacks in detail. There's a line between "simple" and "bland", and I think we're very much waltzing along it. Though the addition of the horns on the pauldrons makes me think you might've thought that too? Either way they're a great addition, he just needs something else to make him pop. The feather is interestin, what's it for?

Z.W.E.I reminds me of Patroklos - Is there a story here? I'd like to hear it. Either way, he looks basic, but I get the impression that's the intention, and if so, it's fine as is.

Ventura is similar to Naidraug, in that although you've added that bit of extra detail, it's not enough to make them really jump out. Perhaps it is the faded colours? I'd suggest blackening the boots though, or maybe swapping them for Pyrrha's boots, which have a similar style, but with more detail. Unless you don't have that DLC?

I quite like armour Z.W.E.I. Again it's simple, but the details on the armour and the addition of the sash make it more interesting. I'd change the colours of the Schwarzwind emblem though - The yellow sticks out way too much, and the blue is pretty bad. I recommend black with a dark purple trim. Or a silver trim.

I acutally LOVE Sakubo. No changes here.

Kuhn, I don't like. It looks like you had an idea but couldn't really work it how you wanted. I think he'd be better off topless, for a start, and with a bit of texture on the shorts. (The Tiger pattern is great, if you make both colours the same colour, you get a wonderful effect). Also, the eyebrows should be darker than the hair, for every character.

Silabus (what's the correct pronunciation on that? If it's "syllabus", then I'd nudge you to maybe change it. And I don't tend to comment on names.) is alright, though he's suffering from Power Ranger Syndrome (PRS) - He's very much one colour, with slight off-colour detailing. As such, it's hard to take him seriously, especially when it's quite a neat design. The green works best on his trousers, so if you change the design, I'd leave the bottom half as is. I like the grey bits too, they add that great detail.

Tekanaka looks almost futuristic. Is he a martial arts superhero? If he is then that's AMAZING. If not, then I apologise.

Gladiator(?) Pat looks to be caught between two designs. On the one hand, we have all this gladiatorial influence, on the other we have this tight tank top. Maybe add the Oathbearer's pauldron, and swap the top for something a bit more armoured. The New Centurian piece might work, but could also look a bit forced. I think with this character, less is more.

The blue Pat, is supposed to resemble Siegfried? It reminds me of him anyway, in terms of hair and overall colour scheme. Again though, the emblem. I know that's the official one, but the colours are just garish, and ruin the design.

Armour Pyrrha! The only thing I'd change if the skirt detail. I think a stripe would be much cooler, since the rest of the design is so linear, and the spirals really distract from that. They also look a bit childish.

Cassan-Pyrrha looks fine to me. Reminds me of Meera Read from Clash of Kings, but for no actual reason. I like, I like a lot!

Tyrolean-hatted Z.W.E.I... I can't really tell what you were going for here. I'm sorry.

Since it popped up again - I wanted to mention Armour Z.W.E.I's thumbnail. That X-shape is nicely done.

Thanks Rhytm, I had the feeling, anyway
Since I dunno how to use spoilers tags =/ here we go.
Elysiun 3P, APatroklos and a original one.
Well just because you mentioned it,
Spoilers work like:

[ spoiler ] insert text here [/ spoiler ]

just take the spaces out.

So guys here is a little up-date...hope you all like it...

Attachments

• SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png
    773.2 KB · Views: 335
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png
    776.2 KB · Views: 281
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png
    799.5 KB · Views: 254
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png
    802.2 KB · Views: 285
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png
    724.2 KB · Views: 298
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_5.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_5.png
    727.8 KB · Views: 293
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_6.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_6.png
    758.3 KB · Views: 305
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_7.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_7.png
    759.9 KB · Views: 285
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_8.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_8.png
    738.5 KB · Views: 280
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_9.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_9.png
    781.6 KB · Views: 275
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_10.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_10.png
    771.2 KB · Views: 284
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_11.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_11.png
    790.3 KB · Views: 295
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_12.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_12.png
    655.4 KB · Views: 292
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_13.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_13.png
    669.7 KB · Views: 261
This is just my humble suggestions so here goes....

In general, you seem to be struggling with these recent CAS. All of them look like ideas that could of been more, but fall short because I can't make sense as what they are. Let me help in terms of making easier. Try stereotyping.

When you see Mitsurugi you think old yet still a badass samurai. When you see Hilde, you see a valiant yet pretty female knight. Attack people with that thought. The reason why certain CAS artists have stuff to woo people is they rip ideas from one another, research and put their own spin to it. Namco, Capcom, and etc do it all the time.

I made an Aztec woman and while it's not historically correct, it can at least fool people to think "hey it looks like an Aztec or Mayan woman". You want people to identify your CAS, compliment, and more. Not just say it's just nice. These are nice, but you make them match too much with color. Not only that, when the color is too saturated, it scares away the potential to be taken seriously.

Another perspective to take in is think before slapping it on.

Black symbolizes bad. Vague, but it could mean badass, evil, anti hero, shadow, and many other herpderp bad stuff.

White is supposedly pure and divine like your Elysium custom with the chiton.

Soft pink on a lady like Pyrrha symbolizes a gentle and girly nature.

If I were to combine all these three colors together, I'd have to make something that's cute(white), girly(pink), yet spunky(black). Someone like Xiaoyu from Tekken fits the bill because she can be cute, girly, and spunky. However, anyone can wear these three colors as long as you stereotype what your character is supposed to be.

When making a CAS, always consider a 3 color scheme. You can 2 color scheme as well, but too much makes it tacky.

Look at this pic of Nightmare.
sd.jpg

Sure he has a two color scheme with blue and gold, but the colors aren't that saturated. Notice how none of the colors are hogging up the attention? The whole point is show you that every color has to compliment each other. In other words, color coordinate. You can make some of the CAS saturated but always make sure to know which parts to saturate. Metals don't need to be saturated that high or need much patterns besides subtle scratches. Cloth on the other hand is different.

Anyways, I hope you understand what I'm getting at. If not, feel free to ask me here or in PMs. Whatever tickles your fancy.

Ok first
Hilde: Tried to do a noble, Oriental Princes Warrior, I tried to build around this but I don't know if worked well.
Pat: Nightmarish Pat XD....I know there is only two colors there but I tried to make it look good...
Pyrrha: Adventurer Pyrrha the main colors are her 1P but darker this is why I added some light green detail.

Attachments

• SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_16.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_16.png
    771.3 KB · Views: 707
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_17.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_17.png
    808.3 KB · Views: 303
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_18.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_18.png
    831.9 KB · Views: 259
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_19.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_19.png
    775.7 KB · Views: 316
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_14.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_14.png
    777.7 KB · Views: 289
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_15.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_15.png
    756 KB · Views: 302
I really like your Pyrrha. Actually I used that hairstyle on a 3P I made of her some time ago. She's way too cute Makes me want to eat her up.... IF she didn't have the possibility of while trying to "eat her" She flips out and brains me with her evil hand... More to the point, I think Nightmarish Pat is a little flat. Maybe if you add a tertiary color or play with the shades of your two colors. Just my fairly unqualified opinion though. Take it as you will.

I actually LOVE your Asian-Hilde. Me and Vil already did one, so it was hard to imagine it looking any different, but you pulled it off with aplomb. My only suggestion is to change the helmet to something with more bite. As Hilde's helmet shows the wolf's head, and gives her a lot of standing, I believe you should follow that when making an Oriental version. (But then again, her 2P is of a more noble stance, so you could say my suggestion was moot, dohoho.)

I love/like Patmere. I think it's TOO much like Nightmare in some regards. The best way to make a Nightmare version of somebody, is to retain as many of their original elements as possible, and corrupt them. So for Pat, he tends to wear lighter armour, favouring leather and surcoats over heavy mail. On top of that, his hair is short and curly, so I'd suggest choosing his hairstyle, and simply darkening it.

Adventurer Pyrrha is just TOO CUTE. I love her *~* YES.

There you have it, Hikari. Once you put some stereotypes, people will be wooed. I will say the Hilde is interesting and I may need to do an asian Hilde or Japanese Hilde to be exact. Pyrrha always looks good in anything, even as a plain jane adventurer with adorable pig tails. You'll improve as long as you stereotype to cookie cut to making it your own.

Who don't love the games of kings, of course I am speaking about chess, but while those are inspired by pieces they are not meant to necessarily to look like the pieces now shall we have this games set?

Designer Notes:
King: I wanted somewhat menacing yet "Won't hurt me", thus Sieg, slow and dangerous too much care for each move you need to do, yet the royal was kept by the formal clothes, but with some armor to be proper for battle only in emergencies.

Queen: Fluidity and classy, but yet somewhat mysterious the tragic mask is to add somewhat mystery to her, the frills and heels are to give more or less a aspect of to look not to touch, Ivy is one of the best ranges of the game, and can cover quite a area just like the queen.

Bishop: His clothing are not exactly bishop like, I tried to do more of a mystical votary, the feathers and the wing are to give a touch of angelic but not going so far thus they have a darker color, Viola just have this magic aspect I wanted.

Knight: First I know he is no horse like but I wanted to have a Knight for real, the armor is not so heavy yet is quite protective, the mask is to give a less expressive face and so a more cold and machining appearance, knight, for me, serve to make traps, Mitsurugi moves due to be strength yet not the best movement.

Rook: My proud, I wanted to he be a prisoner, unwilling servant this way the chains and biding, somewhat suffering, very strong so needs to be retained, Hilde moves to the linearity yet very strong.

Pawn: No face, lighter armor, yet nothing to glamorous, very plain to give the idea of basic servant, Raphael linearity and potential yet nothing very strong. I didn't wanted he to have a full armor so the knight could stand more.

Colors: Blue, Grey blue and black I wanted the kingdom feeling there.

Le Bello helped me a lot with some of the moves and helped me some with some ideas.

Attachments

• SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ.png
    459.6 KB · Views: 295
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_1.png
    460.5 KB · Views: 236
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 243
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3.png
    434 KB · Views: 977
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png
    421.3 KB · Views: 267
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_5.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_5.png
    454.6 KB · Views: 250
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_6.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_6.png
    459.8 KB · Views: 265
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_7.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_7.png
    453.3 KB · Views: 271
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_8.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_8.png
    472.5 KB · Views: 266
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_9.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_9.png
    482.4 KB · Views: 263
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_10.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_10.png
    492.5 KB · Views: 902
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_11.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_11.png
    448.6 KB · Views: 238
I love them, though something we never though to discuss was the idea of having a certain synergy to them. They're all part of the same team, the same set, so I think they should have a bit more of a unification, other than the colours, you think?

I like them though, the Queen is certainly my favourite. She's fierce~

Hey, those chess characters look nice, clever idea. I really like the Pawn and the queen, but the knight and rook are pretty weak designs. It would help if the characters looked a bit more like the pieces.

Are you making a white team as well?

Hmm, to be sincere...I am thinking about yet I want make them more antagonistic...there is some written back story...for this team anyway.
Really? The Rook is my proud ahahha, I wanted he to look a prisoner thus the tower is the actual piece, and I can't do horse cuz that horse head really is unpleasing to look..

...and I can't do horse cuz that horse head really is unpleasing to look..
LOL that's not what I mean. The knight just doesn't look "knighty" enough. I think the Pegasus Helm is perfect for the job. And the rook just feels a bit bulky, perhaps dropping the pauldrons would make him a lot better.

Still, these have to be the most brilliantly themed CaS I've ever seen. Very original.

Hmm, to be sincere...I am thinking about yet I want make them more antagonistic...there is some written back story...for this team anyway.
Really? The Rook is my proud ahahha, I wanted he to look a prisoner thus the tower is the actual piece, and I can't do horse cuz that horse head really is unpleasing to look..

Use the Pegasus helmet :D

EDIT: Norik got there first.

Who don't love the games of kings, of course I am speaking about chess, but while those are inspired by pieces they are not meant to necessarily to look like the pieces now shall we have this games set?

Designer Notes:
King: I wanted somewhat menacing yet "Won't hurt me", thus Sieg, slow and dangerous too much care for each move you need to do, yet the royal was kept by the formal clothes, but with some armor to be proper for battle only in emergencies.

Queen: Fluidity and classy, but yet somewhat mysterious the tragic mask is to add somewhat mystery to her, the frills and heels are to give more or less a aspect of to look not to touch, Ivy is one of the best ranges of the game, and can cover quite a area just like the queen.

Bishop: His clothing are not exactly bishop like, I tried to do more of a mystical votary, the feathers and the wing are to give a touch of angelic but not going so far thus they have a darker color, Viola just have this magic aspect I wanted.

Knight: First I know he is no horse like but I wanted to have a Knight for real, the armor is not so heavy yet is quite protective, the mask is to give a less expressive face and so a more cold and machining appearance, knight, for me, serve to make traps, Mitsurugi moves due to be strength yet not the best movement.

Rook: My proud, I wanted to he be a prisoner, unwilling servant this way the chains and biding, somewhat suffering, very strong so needs to be retained, Hilde moves to the linearity yet very strong.

Pawn: No face, lighter armor, yet nothing to glamorous, very plain to give the idea of basic servant, Raphael linearity and potential yet nothing very strong. I didn't wanted he to have a full armor so the knight could stand more.

Colors: Blue, Grey blue and black I wanted the kingdom feeling there.

Le Bello helped me a lot with some of the moves and helped me some with some ideas.

This is a worthy initiative that deserves praise for the originality...the design themselves are okay, but maybe you could have drawn inspiration from things like Alice in Wonderland and stuff, to give them a bit more personality, but they are still nice and appropriate for each piece of the set.
Besides, i love (and play) chess ;o)

Thanks for the feedback you guys when I am working in the Red (White and gold) pieces I will keep in mind...
So the idea is good, but I couldn't do so good...well sorry...hmm but thanks for the critics I will try to improve them.

Back