Advanced Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signia

[13] Hero
MOVELIST RANGE

It's really important to know the ranges of your moves. Here, I've tested them against each other.

Yoshimitsu's range on many of moves are deceptive. The weapon trails lie. So, I have devised a way of measuring range, not unlike DrakeAldan's method. Choosing the Torture Chamber stage, (the cage), I backed to the wall and did FC Ks until I did the exact amount of FC Ks needed to be close enough for moves to hit. I didn't test every move, especially the 8WR moves I have no way of standardizing with the other moves. This was tested on Hilde's no-guarding hitbox, which has turned out to be important. Mids hit at different heights, most notably BB hits high on the body and WR B and FC B hit very low. Hilde has the straightest body with no arms hanging out like stupid yoshimitsu but ranges may vary depending on the character.

number of FC Ks: move
3: 4KB (second hit)
7: 44B+K
13: 66A+B
22: 44B
30: 66B+K
33: FC 3K, 44b:B (imperfect slides gets you slighter longer the range the longer spacing of the Bs are)
35: 4K
36: 4AA (second hit will hit at like i28-i30 somewhere around there)
39: 66A
40: 66B
41: WR B (slightly longer than 2B!)
42: 2B
43: 3B (that's right, outranges B)
44: bA, 6B+K
46: B, 6A (longer than I thought), K
47: A, 6K, 6B BE
48: 3K (actually shorter than it looks), 66K (Yeah...)
49: 3A, FC B
50: 6B, WR K
51: WR A, 2A
53: FC A

Still need to test: second hit of BB, second hit of AA, ranges at which the second hits of BB and AA will whiff, FC K, 2K, stance crap, oh yeah 44A, 7_8_9K

So, just to reaffirm: FC 3K, 44b:B, and 4K/4KB are amazing, 66A, 66B, and especially 66K suck, 3B has range and allows Yoshi to whiff punish like the top tiers.

Random other things I found: 66K CE catches all techs, left tech inconsistent unless by wall. Nightmare's no-guarding idle hitboxes move back and forth as he clenches his giant fist, making mids that hit mid (lol) whiff sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Damage/Heal Guide

This is a complete list of how much damage Yoshimitsu heals and hurts himself for using various moves. All heals heal gradually and will stop healing if Yoshimitsu gets hit

• IND 2B+K - after the first heal you can hold down to continue healing. Each heal in the series doubles the amount healed, from 2 health. After 5 heals, your health rapidly refills constantly.
    • 1 heal: 2 health
    • 2 heals: 2+4 = 8 health
    • 3 heals: 2+4+8 = 14 health
    • 4 heals: 2+4+8+16 = 30 health
    • 5 heals: 2+4+8+16+32 = 62 health
  • DGF 6_4_2_8A+B - 5 self damage
  • SDF - 5 self damage per second
  • SDF K:K - note: 6_4_2_8A+B movement disables the heal until he stops moving. Costs 5 health right off the bat for being in SDF for too long.
    • Fall down: 40 self damage plus your opponent's biggest ground hitting move
    • Heal: 10 health
    • JF Heal: 60 health
  • IND A+B - the aGI does an easily avoidable unblockable with two points where you can fall down
    • First fall down: 20 self damage
    • Second flip: same as SDF K heals/damage
  • 4B+KB+KB+K... the sidestep - costs 20 health each.
  • 66(A+K)
    • 110 self damage (same as opponent)
    • Mashing A afterward gives you a random chance to heal for each spin. The first four are rapid spins that taper off in damage for at total of 50 damage, and after that they're slow, 20 self damage spins that still have a chance to heal.
  • SDF A+K - 100 self damage
  • BT 2A+K - 90 self damage
  • MED 2A+K - 80 damage
Edit: Justkill's correction

Last edited:
A+K AUTO GI GUIDE

Hey all, this guide is focused on getting damage off of a successful A+K GI. Whatever else anyone wants to contribute, feel free.

I'm sure you all know that the move GIs high and mid horizontals, including body attacks. Some linear body attacks will be GI'd too. And the move has an attack part that can clash with hitboxes and hit hurtboxes if they extended inside you. Each successful aGI will level-up the group of random tekken moves that 4A+K does. The GI window appears to be i4-i12, with the attack/clash occurring at i7-i9 (some have said i6 but I've been unable to confirm it).

You get different punishes at different points in the aGI. The idea is to A+K immediately out of buffer at a specific disadvantage with the assumption that a move with a specific amount of startup frames will come. This way, if you are prepared, you know exactly which frame in the animation, and with this guide exactly what to punish. I don't expect people to do the math in their head during a match, but just know the common situations. For example, after Pyrrha hits you with AA, Yoshi A+K will GI AA, 2A, 4K, 66A, and clash with BB unless spaced too far.

So, the +frames and the best options for punishes (the GI pushes back so remember to be close enough):

4: +11 (iMCF)
5: +12 (AA)
6: +13 (AA, 6B, 6B BE)
7: +14 (BB)
8: +15 (6K, BB, 2B)
9: +16 (CE, 6K, BB, 2B, 44b:B)
10: +17 (CE, 3B, 66B, 44b:B)
11: +18 (CE, 3B, 66B, 44bB)
12: +19 (CE, 3B, 66B, 44bB)

How will you set it up? In my opinion, it's best to go for covering AA and 2A, which are of similar speed. If you're aiming for something bigger, you should really just JG to get that launch. Looking at the numbers, it seems possible gauge when you can get a CE if you just A+K out of the blue since you can kinda tell when the animation is over half over. But you're rarely going to be close enough, so consider 2A. You get nothing for JGing it, and it's good for stopping your iMCF pressure, perfect or not. Also, if they happen to AA, you'll probably GI that, too. So, you should A+K at low -minus frames where a perfect iMCF just barely won't interrupt or is too difficult or you don't know the blockstun of the opponent move.

Examples:
-Pat 3As you. You are at -2. His 2A is i13, so it will come at frame 11, and his AA at frame 10. You could try a frame perfect iMCF, or jump the 2A, or, you could A+K either of them and get a 3B or CE.

-You 4B, they block it. iMCF will beat everything but 2A (a perfect iMCF will trade). Backstepping the 2A and launching them is hard to do without committing to it. You could jump it, but as always you're sitting on a lot of meter and want to use it. You're at -2, their FC A will come at frame 10, but for some reason if you A+K here, you don't get 3B like other frame 10 setups. Instead you can CE.

-You 2K, and it hits. You're sick of missing your 2-frame iMCF link, so you instead do an equally difficult RCC A+K. If you do it right you get a CE. If you want to play it safe, take your 6K.

-You 3B+K A+K for some reason and they do FC A. Free 6K

-You hit with 33BB+K and are at -4 up close. You could have had some awesome setups here, but instead practically everything clashes or gets hit by the attack part except lows and throws. You can have the -4 setups if you hit second part on tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
4B+K Evasion setups

After getting hit by +8 2As, or other high advantage moves that lead to mixups with immediate throws, 4B+K evades grabs, making it an option that's better then JGing (sometimes). Yoshi usually gets a free 3B and often gets DNK guaranteed after earslicer. CEing after 4B+K is really hard for some reason, I think it's unbufferable, but worth doing, of course. Every time you can 3B you can also CE.

Basically, if you have meter to CE or the positioning to ring out, it's a good strategy to 4B+K when you get 2A'd. And if you're like me, you get 2A'd a lot, since that's the easy way to stop the iMCF spam. Sometimes, even step catchers won't stop 4B+K.

4B+K lasts 25 frames and costs 24 health. An easy formula for the punish you get would then be total frames of opponent's attack - 25 + frames of advantage. A move's total frames is the startup time - the move's JG frames +14. Leave the negative sign in for everything.

Simplified, the + frames you get are equal to: (iWhatever) + (minus-whatever-on-JG) - (your frames of disadvantage) - 11

But I tested everything, below, anyway.

------------------------------------------------------
Here's what the situation is like for each character (all situations assume no delaying of attacks):

Patroklos (after he hits you with 2A)
After getting hit by 2A, 4B+K successfully evades all throws. But, since Pat has a fast recovery on his throws, all you get is a BB. Evading is pretty good after getting hit by BB as well and you get better punishes since you're at less -frames, so your evade starts and ends earlier. Works ok against 1K as well, but there are better options. Punishes for other whiffs:
66K (doesn't evade after BB) - 3B
66B, 44A, 8A+B - 3B
4K - AA
RCC 3A, RCC 1K, RCC 1B - 3B
2A, 2B, 2K - nothing, take your side throw mixup
WR A+B, WR K - 3B

Doesn't beat 236A, but JG that and you 6KK guaranteed (I think) which 90+ damage. Doesn't beat 66A unless you delay the evade really long. Other things it doesn't beat:
4A, WR A - Who uses this move anyway?
--------------------------------------------------
ZWEI - his 2A pushes you out of range of throws. 66A catches it. No point in using it against him.
Leixia - her 2A pushes you out of range of throws and most of her tracking stuff hits you anyway. You can dodge throws after getting hit by WR K but not much else.
Natsu - You can dodge throws after 2A, but usual stuff like WR B and WR A still hit you. 4B+K after getting hit by 22A is pretty good though. Dodges throws, A+B, 66B, 2BA for free 3Bs. Any delay on these and you'll get hit, though. Similar situation after getting hit by 6B. Can't dodge 66A.
-------------------------------------------------
Ezio - Dodges throws, 66A, and WR A as long as you aren't super close to him, but like Pat, Ezio has a short throw animation.
Raph - dodges throws, 66B, FC 3B, and 66A. Free 3Bs all around. Free 6K for dodging 3A. WR A, WR B, and 6BB still get you, though. Similar situation after getting hit by 3K, but you can dodge 6BB now.
Viola - Grabs, 66A, 44A, 66B, 4B all dodged after getting hit by 2A and you get a free 3B. Gotta be far away to dodge WR B, and WR A can't be dodged.
Pyrrha, after 2A:
Throws, 66A+B, 66B, RCC 1K - free 3B
6B+K - free 6K
66K - free BB
66B BE, 66A, 44A, WR A - they hit you
4K, WR B, 2K - whiffs but you get nothing
Siegfried - Nothing too great, his horizontals hit you and he has no immediate throw setups, except by wall? His throws are dodgable.
Hilde- Dodges throws but the only immediate throw I can see is off of 4A. Nothing much else to dodge.
Xiba - 2A pushes too far. You can 4B+K and get a backturned 3B against 6BK and 6AK on reaction to the kick. If he does the BE you have to step forward to 3B him, though.
Ivy - the only interesting thing I could find was dodging 66A after getting hit by 3K.
Cervy - 2A pushes too far. At mid disadvantages you can dodge aB, 1AB, and 3A and get free 3Bs. Not 66A though.
Aeon - 2A pushes too far for grabs. 2A to 66A can be dodged. Not much else, but instead there's plenty of great +17+ A+K setups.
Tira - Gloomy 2A is close enough. After getting hit, 4B+K dodges throws, 6A (CE/6K punish), WR A
Nightmare - His fatty hand grabs you if you 4B+K away from him when he hits you with 3K. Can't find anything.
Mitsurugi - You can dodge a bunch of things but you can't punish them. Stupid Mitsu.
Maxi - He doesn't have a whole lot of options after 2A:
Throw, 66B, 66B+K, 6A+B - free 3B
WR A, 66A - free 6K
WR B+K - hits you
Yoshimitsu - After 2A:
Throw, FC 3K, 4K FC 1K - free 3B
WR A, WR K - free 6K
WR B - free AA
66A, 44A - hits you
Voldo - After 2A and 66B (He's got nothing):
Throw, 666B, 66A, 3A - free 3B
WR AA - dodge first hit, block second hit, CE punish
WR K - 6K
Astaroth - Finally, the reason I made this guide. Asta's offense is based around landing either throws or mids that lead to mid/throw mixups. However, 4B+K beats everything.
After 4B:
Throws, 66K, 4K, 6B, 3A+B A strings - 3B
4B - 6K
2K - nothing
4A, 3A - hits you

After 66K:
Throws get you!
Alpha Patroklos - After 2A:
Throws, 66B, 2363B, FC 3B strings, 9K - free 3B
WR B - 6K
66A - hits you
Algol - After 2A:
Throws, 66B, 66A (must be close), RCC 1K, 6B+K, 44B - 3B
4AB - delay your punish, or the back blade will hit you
WR A - 6K
RCC 3AA - hits you
Pyrrha Omega
Throws, 66A+B, 66B, DNS B, DNS A - 3B
WR K, 6K, 66K - BB
66A, 44A, 4A - hits you

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone is still reading these boards, but whatever here goes:

Stage Positioning and Pressure Guide

So I've seen a noticeable improvement in my game recently, getting free rounds all the time for one reason: I am constantly vying for favorable stage positioning, and my opponents usually all but ignore it. They quickly find themselves with their back to the wall or edge and are one read away from dying. Often, I get that read, since Yoshimitsu has many ways of getting opponents on the wall and has very long ringout range with the right combo. So how do I always corner mid-high level players?

Let's start at the beginning of the round. The safest thing to do is to backstep first, since it beats everything the opponent might do, so both players often end up backstepping away from each other. However, that gives up valuable space behind you, so you shouldn't be backstepping for long. And as long as your opponent is backstepping, you can steal positional advantage. The direction the opponent moves relative to the stage when backstepping depends on where you are. If they decide to backstep, they might unwittingly be moving into dangerous positioning! So, you can aim them toward the edge using your movement! At the start of each round, sometimes the stage is behind them, sometimes it's perpendicular, sometimes it's diagonal. Every stage has it's own metagame to be explored.

Next, you want to contain them where they are when they're in a bad position or you want to keep them from sidestepping out of potential danger. If you follow their step with your own, the stage positioning will not rotate. However, if you step in opposite directions, then the stage will rotate twice as fast. The effect that sidestep has on positioning is stronger the closer you are to the opponent.

So, by simply reacting to their movement, you can corner a player that's just waiting for whiffs or trying to stay in neutral or better spacing. You counter their passive movement with aggressive movement.

Okay, now onto the Yoshi stuff:

Yoshimitsu has lots of tools to advance a positioning-focused strategy. He can:

• Push them back.
    • 33BB+K or 66K, even on block.
    • On hit, 3B a:B+K DNK combos, iMCF combos, and iFC3K RCC 3B if they back tech as they usually do.
  • Contain them with a variety of safe or threatening tools.
    • 3K is i14 and -6 on block and tracks, so even if they block it and try to sidestep, they'll get counter hit by another 3K. If they're trapped by the edge, they can't backstep away, so you can spam 3K to goad them into attacking, which is very dangerous as I'll get into. A spaced 3K, with positioning or not, sets up into all sorts of things.
    • iFC3K is a step killer that knocks down. Players often want to tech away to make your next mixup have worse risk/reward, which gives you free positioning. It's also what you want to do once they're scared to do anything, especially duck. You can see this move covers a lot of different purposes.
    • 3A BE counter hit confirm is essentially a launcher that hits if they sidestep, which is what they want to do when they're close to the edge, however, launching is exactly what will win you the round if you're by the edge.
    • 66A BE, longer range and a riskier version of 3A BE's usage. With meter you can extend the ringout range super far, just spend it all if it'll win you the round. If you have no meter and want an easy ringout followup, delayed DNK works.
    • 6K is for that sweet wall damage if they've stepped to Yoshi's dangerous side (right). Also rings out left.
    • 44A, I don't really use this too much but it's -6 which is great and rings out right, especially if they tech into DNK.
    • B+G4_6 keeps them standing and under pressure whether they've broken the throw or not.
  • Ring out far, so decent positioning for other characters is amazing positioning if it's Yoshi. One whiff, even if they're three steps from the edge is death if you are on point.
    • DNK combos. Know how close you have to be and which characters that air-hit a:B+K DNK works on. This greatly increases your ringout range. It'll work on everybody if you're right near the edge. 214A, CH DNK, 44A tech trap, DGF K, and (yoshi's) right side hit iFC3K, and deathcopter on tall characters can start DNK combo ringouts too, if you can hit them.
    • 4A JF. Absolutely needed for certain stages with low walls and for times when you can't get a:B+K DNK. You can go for lucky double or triple 4A JFs crazy ringout distance, if you want. If the double will do it, I say go for it, since it's a 1/3 chance of winning the round. Gotta get the full JF consistently, though, but it's not too hard, each JF has a three frame window.
    • GI followups. Immediate 3B for i17 timing, step forward 3B for i27 timing, and wait for re-GI into 3B. They can only cover one of these options, outside of a GI JG.
    • Note: you can slightly aim a:B+K DNK after 3B launches, especially counterhit and stun combo launches (they go slightly higher) by doing a small sidestep before doing them.
  • Wallsplat from multiple different reads, and do at least 100 damage without meter. All of these can be set up from -6 or better, like a spaced 3K or 2K.
    • 4K, 66K, or 3B as whiff punishes after backstepping. 4K and 66K result in weaker combos if they land too close to the wall, since you don't have time for 2A+BB.
    • Jump K for 2As and throws, and as a mid, and as a step catcher, usually results in the most consistent wall combos. If they also jump, you can get a:B+K which might wallsplat, or 6K which might air-control trap them into the K followup.
    • iMCF RCC 3B to CH anything that is too slow or is high.
    • Step left 6K, for the hard read on the fast BB that will beat the above options.
    • GI to beat all attack responses.
    • Not a wall combo, but if the wall is to Yoshi's left, 6KK is guaranteed after launchers since the wall blocks the correct air control escape.
    • Guard crush followup. Step 6K or step DNK to aim them at the wall for massive combos.
So if you constantly fight for positioning, you'll get more opportunities to win rounds and you'll pressure your opponent into playing predictably or playing very dangerously. This goes for all characters, but Yoshimitsu is one of the few that can turn this theory into reality very consistently. Opponents naturally want to move away from Yoshimitsu and play passive. This, along with guard pressure and mixups, is how you punish that best. TOO BAD THERE ARE INFINITE STAGES IN THE GAME THOUGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back