AI, GI and character balance compared to SC2

Haeven

[09] Warrior
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of buying sc4. I have SC2. How what is the difference between sc4 AI and sc2 AI? Also how much harder is it to GI or parry than in SC2? Also, in general, how much better or worse is character balance in sc4 than in sc2? Thank you all! ^^

i was a big sc2 fan. never played sc3 at all. as far as AI goes i dont think the difference is that great. Gi'ing is definetly different timing wise. so thats going to take a little adjusting from what you are used to in sc2. Move sets are different for some characters (imo for the better cause I play maxi). But of course there are differences that are going to be hard to get used to. being that we have the whole "next-gen" sc4 versus the old school sc2. definetly worth the buy. If for anything the online play! of couse online vs. offline play is highly debated cause you have to change playstyles for both options. if you go online with the mindset to have fun and learn, you will just fine. Id stay away from ranked matches cause the spammers and lag and all the other bullshit will just piss you off!!

I moved from SC2 to SC4 and didn't find it that bad. The single player options aren't as fun as in SC2, not for me anyway. However, character balance still seems fine after a few months. I don't really do online much, except to share custom characters. Custom characters is a welcome addition, by the way. Tower of Lost Souls was pretty tedious, though. Lack of team battles is also a shame, as well as gimmicky but fun profile pages and weapon demonstrations.

I haven't noticed much difference in GI difficulty, but I'm sure someone will correct me on this. GI/parry now have slightly different inputs which will take a little bit of getting used to at first.

AI seems about on a par with SC2 Arcade. Highest AI difficulty is a little bit more difficult than the SC2 highest difficulty for me, but it can be broken like just about any AI. It's certainly not a substitute for playing against other people.

Thanks for your replies, both of you.

Seems like I have to through all seriousness out the window when going online and I'm fine with doing that ;).

If the AI is any more difficult than SC2 AI then I'm happy. ^^ I wanted to ask because I can't have friends coming over playing SC everyday.

I'm a big fan of GIing. So when I read that the G2 (making GI useless) glitch is much harder to do, I was pleased. I just hope I can put enough GIs on the table (despite decreased GI window--if it is decreased) since the moves are slightly slower.

The AI is definitely far worse than it was in 2. It used to be that on the highest difficulty level would hardly ever give you an opening and GI everything you do. On this game, it can be challenging, but it's far easier than 2. Furthermore, the difficulty only affects VS. play against the AI. Arcade, Stoy, and Tower of Lost Souls are unaffected, and ironically I could do better in some of the challenges if the AI didn't wait like 5 seconds before attacking.
Personally, I was a big fan of soul charging, but I like this new soul system better. The idea of gradually wearing down turtle players, even though that includes me, feels nice. I almost never get a critical finish, though, except for Yoda. That guy's so bad that everyone is a good matchup against him, and yet everybody bans him from tournament.

Tower of Lost Souls is going to give you lots of work to do. It's got plenty of challenges inside it, such as never missing an attack, performing a 10+ combo (Darth Vader is my friend), and my personal impossibility, performing 5 Just Impacts. It'll also challenge you to make customized characters with the most appropriate stats and effects as you go through it. Oh yeah, and Algol at the very end of it really lives up to what fighting game boss characters do. ;)

For tournament play, Yoda and Algol are banned, while Vader and his apprentice Starkiller are not for the National tournament. Many places will also ban all Star Wars characters. I'm firmly against any of those bans, but the decision has already been made. You'll also encounter some bonus characters halfway through everyone's story modes who are identical to existing characters except for their reach. They are also banned and I have no objection. Regardless, I urge you to practice against all characters, including the banned ones, as more experience isn't bad here. I'd say you shouldn't be afraid of them, but you sound like the type of person that would welcome the challenge, anyway.

SC2 AI was retarded. It could magically GI like 80% of your attacks on the hardest level. Made it not really any fun since there really is no way to make the comp whiff with a delayed move unless the CPU lets you.

As far as balanced, i'd say this game is much more balanced than SC2. . In SC2, the step system was broken, which made the characters that had the best step moves much better than the other characters.

I don't believe SC2 had the parry system either did it? It's a GI but you pull them towards you. I think they also go straight to ground. Sorry for the hazy details, I don't parry much.

I thought 4G was called parry in SC2. I guess not :P.

Agreed. SC2 AI's amazing GI ability made me question Namco's logic. GIing was easier than attacking? That's just wrong.

But if the hardest SC4 AI is much easier than SC2 AI? that sucks. The AI will still be good for a relaxing game I assume.

However, if tower of lost souls give me plenty of challenge. I'm up for that.

PS. sorry for 2nd post. I don't know what happened XD.

I thought 4G was called parry in SC2. I guess not :P.

Agreed. SC2 AI's amazing GI ability made me question Namco's logic. GIing was easier than attacking? That's just wrong.

But if the hardest SC4 AI is much easier than SC2 AI? that sucks. The AI will still be good for a relaxing game I assume.

However, if tower of lost souls give me plenty of challenge. I'm up for that.

PS. sorry for 2nd post. I don't know what happened XD.

Tower of lost Souls is a challenge, to the point that it's not fun, lol.
The most cheap tactic is to make an Astaroth with hax skills and 1A,B all day.

in sc2, 4G was called parry. it parried mids and lows. 6G repelled mids and highs.

SC3 went back to SC1 GI system. where 6G repelled mids and highs and 3G repelled mids and lows. 4G parried mids and highs and 1G parried mids and lows

SC4 is the same as SC3 and SC1 with 6G and 3G repelling and 4G and 1G parrying. parrying pulls the opponent to the ground, not sure if this mechanic was present in sc3 and sc1.

balance in SC2 was the best out of all of the SCs so far. whoever said characters with the best step dominated was wrong. Ivy and cervy had the best step but cervy wasnt the best character by any means. ivy was very good but for other reasons than her good step.

people complained about step G, but those people were stupid, most characters had a tool to deal with it. same with 2G. few things in the game did half life meaning most of the action was on the ground fighting, with punishing and mixing up as your focus.

eh just my two cents. i played SC2 talim who was utterly safe, had tools to deal with step and 2G and had one of if not the best RO/terrain control games.

I'd say that 4 pretty much lives up to 2 in many ways, with the balance issues basically fixed. It's incredibly fluid to play, to the point where each character actually seems to require their own way of thinking beyond simply play style.

That sounds great. Moving around and attacking with decent ease is important to me.

I just got the game yesterday. wohoa. Its much slower than sc2 XD. But I read that most ppl get used to the speed and the game becomes very fun.

Because of such a decrease in speed, I can still GI reliably well.

And I'm so glad the new xbox360 controller d-pads are easier to use..I think. I may still use analogue.

Back